Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Impreza RS 5-speed
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to everyone. Here is my sound setup for the Scooby. Now everything that I have is not the best but I hope to give others help and ideas for their car.

As we know the sound quality is terrible in or cars and anyone that says otherwise just has never heard a proper sound system. Here is a list of what I have and also how much I have paid for everything to give you an idea of how much you can expect to pay for your overhaul.

Items and price:

Pioneer TS-D1002R $50
Pioneer TS-D1602R $80
Pioneer DEH-3300UB $130
Pioneer GM-D861 $130
Pioneer TS-W2502D4 $100
DB Link 0G Amp kit $38
SubaruAudio.net 1" Speaker spacers $30
10" Scoche box $30
14 gauge speaker wire $20
(Optional) Sound proofing $40

Keep in mind prices may vary and I have only Pioneer because that's the brand I trust.

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,264 Posts
I wouldn't use the frost king duct insulation in the doors anywhere... The foam will pick up excess moisture and start growing mold in your doors which you won't want...

If you want to seal off the holes in the doors, get a roll of solid or perforated aluminum sheeting and cut it to fit and stick a layer of butyl-based matting to it.

You can certainly use the frost king stuff on your floors, but again, if water does get in, the foam won't dry out as it'll be stuck between the floor and the metal backing...

Cutting out metal bits will be much better in the long run
eg:

-- Dave

·
Premium Member
2004 WRB WRX Wagon
514 Posts
So 6.5s will fit our front doors with spacers assuming the 02-07 is the same. (I believe they are?) Do the door cards still sit flush?

And since I'm in a editing post mood. What about tweeters? Know any that'll fit?

·
Registered
2002 Impreza RS 5-speed
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rain? In West Texas? Hahahah when I lived in NY and MA yes but here is been fine with the frost king.

Yes they are the same and the cards fit great. As far as tweeters I have yet to get an aftermarket set but that's mainly due to the four others that are on the speakers Lol.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
Looks like a nice quality setup, pioneer speakers hold up very well. Good job using 0 gauge, its always better to have wire on the thick side. You may even end up adding another amp for the mids and highs and the 0 gauge will definitely help.

·
Registered
2012 Audi S4
1,954 Posts
Looks like a nice quality setup, pioneer speakers hold up very well. Good job using 0 gauge, its always better to have wire on the thick side. You may even end up adding another amp for the mids and highs and the 0 gauge will definitely help.
0GA is overkill for a setup of this size to be completely honest.

Im running a JL Audio 500/1 D-Class Mono Block Amp and a JL Audio 300/4 Amp, running a 4GA wire to a 1F capacitor (and 4GA grounds), been working perfectly for 7+ years now.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
Working perfectly is subjective, you could run my two ppi A6002 amps and Earthquake PH5000D amp on one 2 gauge for infinity but that isn't allowing them to operate at their full potential and at full efficiency. 0 gauge isn't that large and the fact he hasn't even added his highs amp means he has room. He may even upgrade the sub amp once he gets the bug and go with two subs that require more power. A 4 gauge wire is ideal for most average systems running about 500w rms total with an average length wire and an efficient amp. Running larger wire can only help amps work better, it never hurts to have more than enough capacity. Its similar to when you build your engine, you want it to handle more than you normally use it for so it should never fail. You don't want it just good enough to work fine. Voltage drop is a very crucial factor in Sound quality and efficiency as far as an audio system is concerned.

0GA is overkill for a setup of this size to be completely honest.

Im running a JL Audio 500/1 D-Class Mono Block Amp and a JL Audio 300/4 Amp, running a 4GA wire to a 1F capacitor (and 4GA grounds), been working perfectly for 7+ years now.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
wish I had an amp to run my 6" Rockford speakers. It's working fine off the head unit, but I'm sure it'd be amazing with an amp pushing them instead.

·
Registered
2002 Impreza RS 5-speed
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got everything installed and tuned to my liking. Here are two pictures, one of the sub and amp mounted in the trunk and the amp power adjuster knob that I mounted cleanly in the deck tray.

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,264 Posts
amp power adjuster knob.
It's a remote gain knob... sometimes it's an EQ knob that provides some targeted bass boost around 65hz with a fairly wide Q. Sometimes it's both.

Also, please bolt that sub down to the floor and rear deck to keep it from flying around or coming through the back seat in an accident.

Thanks.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
I used velcro to hold down my sub, cause I needed to move it around randomly, when I pulled the back seat to slid in large objects/boxes.

After a couple of years, the velcro gave up and I just moved the sub to the back seat and seat belted it into place.

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
i once didnt secure a sub box in a suv, took the car to a mx track, jumped it and the sub box went through the rear window.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts