Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having issues with my A/C system, and have been checking the low side pressure, but I haven't been able to find specs for a 1995 Impreza. I was wondering if someone could look up the specs for low side pressure at 80*F ambient, and what RPM those specs should be read at.

The problem I'm having is power loss after continuous use of the A/C, and the compressor quickly kicks on and off. The low side line into the compressor is ice cold, and I think the compressor is kicking off because it's starting to pump liquid refrigerant.

This problem just appeared one day driving to Jersey, and I haven't touched the A/C system since last fall when I changed o-rings and put the specified weight of refrigerant back into the system.

The problem seemed to get worse a week ago when I put more refrigerant in the system, so I'm wondering if I just put too much in.

Any specs and/or advice would be appreciated. :D

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
Same thing happened when I overfilled mine way back when. There is a high pressure and low pressure switch. Your high pressure switch is probably kicking in too soon because of the overfill. Pretty clever system, prevents exploding a/c parts

· Registered
17,115 Posts
^^ Seems to be the reoccuring answer. I feel like that was my problem as well. I had all the same symptoms that you have, t3hwit, and I had gotten my A/C recharged a few days prior to the incidents. After a little while of dealing with the surging and funky noises coming from the engine bay, it stopped. I'm guessing the system purged itself somehow of the extra.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
Bump for specs.
The specs should be the same as any a/c system that uses/d R-12. I'm running the fake r-12 ("freeze" 12) and it works fine. That's why the a/c pressure test kits you can buy at the auto parts stores are generic.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
My car ran R-134a from the factory, and the specs do vary a bit between manufacturer.
Wow, that's weird. My 95 had 12... Maybe it was originally 134? If that is the case I'd be able to get freon easier, lol. I can't remember when auto manufacturers made the changeover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.