Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im nearing the point when i will be buying my Impreza RS. Up untill recently, i have wanted the 00 model becuase it has rear LSD and a stronger engine supposidly. But i am very interesed in MY 98 RS with the DOHC Phase1 engine. Headgaskets are like... 75 dollers to replace and they have better ones to replace with anyway. But my question is can the Phase1 block handle boost and FI well? I see my self 100% with a turbocharged car in the future, and im unsure as to what engine for that. On cobb's website, they have a Phase1 EJ25 Turbo build up, and a Phase2 SOHC N/A build up. Maybee this is a hint that the 98 Phase1 isinst that bad after all. A DOHC engine can theoretically handle twice the work of a SOHC engine, and i think subaru switched to SOHC to save money, in that case, i definitially want the 98 DOHC engine:p

·
Registered
613 Posts
i have a 4cam my98. i have nothing to compare it to, to answer your qs. i run about 300 bhp with stock valves and springs, but the ports and guides are heavily massaged. i know it is easier to jump a tooth on the 4cam timing belt. but this only is an issue if you are missing the crank pulley shroud.
as far as flow goes, i think it is a wash. subaru did reduce valve train recriprocating mass, which is kind of like getting a lighter flywheel.
i would base your decision on which model presents itself to you at the right price. or the right color. black cars get more poon and i would think this is more of an issue than cam selection. :)

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I believe Shiv's turbo RS in Sport Compact Car magazine was a 99 with the same engine. He drove that thing forever with no problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts