Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone getting WICKED speed bursts?? i am ranging from 700k/s dl speed to down to 30k/s dl speed...this is nuts...before i always got 400-700 no matter what time of day. This is BS!!!

Why do i even bother to use this?? oh yeah cause i went back to dialup for a day and almost shot myself

·
Premium Member
04 STI silver\silver
217 Posts
I wish I could feel bad for you but I just lost my cable modem when I moved and my temporary housing cannot get DSL or cable. The dial up no matter what time is 24k or slower and after having a cable modem although it was one way makes it twice as hard :curse:
I am even looking at going with the AOL broadband satellite out of shear desperation.

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Have you called them. I did, and here's the deal:

When Excite went out of business, AT&T changed everyone to their new network. Well, the cable modems were not set to work properly on the new network. So call them up and have them check the speed that is "set" in the modem. I did, and it turned out that because of the change the modem thought it was only able to download at 128k and upload at something super slow, like 34k.

They apologized and changed it right away (took about two minutes) and because of the "inconveniece" they upgraded the speed on my modem to the next service level for no charge. So instead of getting 768k/256k I am now getting 1.5Mb/384k.

Using DuMeter (www.DuMeter.com) I am now seeing upload speeds in excess of 500k.

AT&T is okay, you just need to call them.

BTW, the RS Club is running on that very cable modem.

·
Registered
2001 STM Sedan
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will have to do that,..thanks for the info james.

·
Retired Admin
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
8Complex said:
Kilobit or kilobyte?
I hate that question because I have NO CLUE what the difference is! And I'm a compuer guy, too! :lol:

Anyway, I think it's like this:

If I am getting 1.5mb down, I am getting a THIRD of that up, so is that 512k or 512KB? Basically, 1/3 or 1.5MB. You tell me! :p

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, most service is sold in kilobit ratings. A kilobit is 1/8 of a kilobyte, so I'm guessing you were getting about 65-70kilobytes/sec since your service is only supposed to give you 1.5mb (about 200kilobytes/sec). But if I'm wrong, and it's 1.5mbyte, sweet. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts