Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1997 impreza brighton coupe
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks everybody!As per request its update time!!
Over the last few weeks i have been joining some wires...aka "Merging"

I didnt take many pics, these are just some highlights of some heat shrink I was proud of. Its quite difficult just to join some of these wires
nevermind joining the correct wires and getting them to the correct length. Big respect to Brydon for posting his DIY. Even bigger respect for Brian for
offering his service. I spent about 2 monts worht of evenings getting the harness together.
I also finished off the inside(please take it easy on me for this one)
After seeing the floor die once in this car I wanted to make a permanant solution so i got hooked up with "gator guard II"
in white. It is an epoxy based kevlar re-enforced bed liner. I figure this will give great durability even if it fills up with water ever again.

I like it. I rolled it on. Deff would spray it next time. I would have been much smoother but oh well still happy with the coverage and finish.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
next up is to mock up the dash beam/hvac and wiring, because i dont know what im doing im putting
my harness in and trying to start it before doing the final tape/placement of grommits

pedals in these pics are the brighton ones with the cable clutch. im still on my old tranny so gotta keep it and this is just for mock up .
aside from the cable vshydro thing the only other difference is the switch for the brake pedal on the rs. The rs has more pins due to
cruise control and maybe something else. that switch can be installed on the brighton pedals if you wanted to keep your tranny. i will prob do this for now

small tid bit

If honly I could type...
Rs bulkhead had an extra hole in it vs the brighton dash
then the ducts

steering column

again just for mock up fitting/test start

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Now that i have a rough ideal of where everything goes, the beam,column and HVAC all came out,
i laid the harness in went to plug it all back in and what do you know, my 97 fuel tank harness
does not match up to the rs harness...booo!!!

It was ummm a uhhh just a little rusty under there. The four bolts holding the crossmember all came out fine.
once i got the tank down i realized it was trash. rust holes in the seam and ALL the hard lines had crumbled.
The feed line was all plastic so it was still running...somehow.
So plan B is to use the Rs fuel tank wiring harness loom and main level sending unit and bypass the second fuel
level sending unit.
brighton on the top RS at the bottom

cut the wires

unbolt

re-install. it was super easy!

At that point i cut off the aux sending unit and joined the two wires leading out to that. The brighton level sensor read 100ohms full, 0 empty.
Each of the RS sensors read 50 empty 0 ohms full. So i thought this would be a slam dunk, but it wasnt. i put 5 gal in and it didnt move the needle.
i resorted to pulling the sender out again and lifting the float to full while it was all plugged in. No dice. it only goes to 3/4 and moves super
slow.
not sure how to fix this just yet...:/ ive tried researching but all i could find is what got me this far. The brighton is such I bastard child

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
On a side note. Do you think the RS in the pics can be saved? im sure it will need quarters, the rails in the pics, a good amount of the floor and small section of sills?
I would be doing the fab/welding, my intention is to replace the parts with factory and cage the hell out of the whole car for added safety/track toy.

·
Registered
98 OBS
674 Posts
Question on the windshield trim brackets - were you able to salvage all of those from the car or, if not, were you able to find replacements anywhere?

You are doing awesome work! Subscribed

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
thanks for the comments and subs. Mrpersonality I was able to save about 60% of the clips. I got lucky/unlucky because the glue around the windshield was lifting off the metal already and I could almost just pull them out in tact. For the clips that were properly glued there was no way they were coming out in one piece. I also had 2 cars to pull from so I did not need to source new ones.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS 2.5
193 Posts
Love seeing when someone really puts a lot of hardwork to turn a car around like this! Are cars are getting rare now! Soo sick man, I respect it

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
thanks CTsubie. Got the harness taped up and the STI fuel pressure controller wired and mounted, hung the harness on the bulk head, bolted the fpc on the inside of the wheel well.

got the firewall grommets roughed in ans sealed with some silicone. i kinda want to go all out and get some proper insulation on these

cut the fourth hole for the dash

The tab on the top right is one of two. they are in a different location, the RS has a bigger gap between them.
i ignored this as it seems to not affect the structure much at all.
Am i horribly wrong on this? i feel like its support

now I got a real problem. the bracket welded to the floor is a different shape/mounting hole pattern. its for the brighton srs control unit. I have both srs systems and could either:
make a hybrid system with brighton controller and RS bags
make a bracket to mount the RS controller in its proper location
ideally id not like to modify airbags because its not safe and they terrify me..off to do some thinking/search button.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
broke my camera so ive been working on the headlight harness. This donor car had a front right impact and crushed the harness about a foot away from the abs unit...so im fixin that...also seats/ headliner/door cards/inner quarters are in. pics this weekend:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
just a small update camera is still not with us.
cut some sheets of plastic and sealed up the doors. this is 100% needed. these doors leak water into the main cavity like crazy!! don't cut holes for the speakers either. I stuffed some extra plastic in the speaker cavity so that its completely sealed still.

I stuck some micro suede on the front and rear door cards too.

more when I get a decent camera

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
so i got this pretty dope koyo radiatior with two overflow output/inputs for the wrx...problem is it has no fans and with the fan shrowds made for this rad its not gonna fit

I have the fans that came off my brighton...and im cheap so here goes
The reason the Koyo wont fit well is it interferes with the accesory belt system on the fan side and it interferes witht he ac condenser on the front side.
so i cut the brackets that hold the lower part of the condenser and shifted it to bolt on the front of the bracket not sit in the middle. this gains almost an inch.

had to file the corner off the ac fitting so it does not dig into the side tank of the radiator

it puts the ac condenser really close to the hood latch support thing.i just pulled on it by hand to gain clearance

With that moved i shot off to the hardware and came back with $15 of aluminium angle bracket.

this goes on the bottom of the radiator to support the fans(they have plastic peg that slot into these holes.
then i trimmed the sides of the fans, the left one is untouched the right has been trimmed so that where it overlaps with the side tanks it will not interfere.

then cut and drilled the top bracket for the fans

then mounted the top sides of the fans, bolting them to the same oem clips on the fans just from the inside out.

ended up with about a 1/4 inch of gap between the fan and radiator.

this is the edge of the fan where it needed to be trimmed to fit

Also swapped out the wrx alternator for the RS, removed the overflow tank and re-installed the ac compressor
And done

really stoked about the finished product. i sanded the top bracket all one direction and clearcoated for the brushed stainless look.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts