Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
4,042 Posts
I don't think the responses sound that bad at all. You got a lot of respect for driving a GC in such great shape- I think a lot of people would prefer to have a swapped RS but have gone the safer route of a new car financed with a payment, rather than spending big chunks of cash on an engine and gambling on everything working out right.

They're right to say that there are no guarantees with a swapped car, and that it's a better idea to make sure you are on sound financial ground before you make that cash outlay. I think the consensus in your thread was "ensure you have no debt, and then swap it." Seems like a good idea to me.

· EEEEP!!!!
Something Slow
2,210 Posts
Yeah... I think they are thinking of the car more as a disposable commodity. If you are absolutely sure you are going to keep it go for it and swap. But if you swap and sell you will almost always loose money down the road. Used car + swapped car = less than new car usually. As for me, I enjoy not having a car payment :)

· Registered
2002 2.5TS
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah... I think they are thinking of the car more as a disposable commodity. If you are absolutely sure you are going to keep it go for it and swap. But if you swap and sell you will almost always loose money down the road. Used car + swapped car = less than new car usually. As for me, I enjoy not having a car payment :)
yeah im not far away from not having one either...and the insurance is quite a lot nicer too :)

i guess you're totally right on that one. they are thinking of cars as disposable commodity...what are they :drunk:? of course it loses money down the road. but so does dumping money into the interest on a 35k loan...

maybe its just the gc love that makes me not understand ;) either way it doesn't really mean as much to them i guess. another reason why i don't get along with people that drive new scoobys because just they're cool, they're already thinking about selling them.

· Registered
2002 2.5TS
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nasioc can be a little tough at times, my bet would be to sell her and get a legacy GT :)

Such sweet cars, comfy, nice looking, mod potential, etc.
dude don't get me thinking about going that route again lol

those cars are pretty damn nice...5MT wagons are super rate too :drool:

· Registered
2002 2.5TS
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dunno man, I think people were trying to help. I don't think there was any bad advice in there (except the sell your car to me crap).
yea maybe im just hyper sensi heh. still bugs me being reminded about what i should be doing with my finances like i'm not doing that already.

· Registered
Evo X GSR, 07 Civic Si
627 Posts
if you swap it would it be done by yourself or a reputable shop?

if it's a reputable shop you shouldn't have to worry about the mechanical and electrical aspects of the swap at all. my car was swapped 10k miles ago in Nov. of 2007 and so far all the hiccups i've had are very minor, and all due to bad luck buying bad used parts.

unless you're planning on getting a very old JDM engine, for me i opted for an 05 USDM engine for complete legality and reliability. to me swapping my 2000 RS by Garage Tuning with 05 engine/tranny = buying a used 05 STi in terms of risk, except my insurance is way less and my car is 350lbs lighter.

not sure what your budget is, but it's important to do it right the first time when it comes to swapping. if you try to find the cheap way out most of the time it'll bite you right back in the ass in the near future. just my experience...

FWIW i much prefer the driving feel of the GC with the same engine/tranny over the newer chassis, it just feels much more raw and i also don't like heavy cars...the EVo/STi at 32xx lbs + curb weight is too heavy for me, and you can esp. feel all that weight when you're rolling off at a green light or in quick transition corners. the downside of the weight saving for the GC is chassis rigidity, but i personally consider it a worthy trade off.

good luck mate.

· Registered
2002 2.5TS
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you swap it would it be done by yourself or a reputable shop?

if it's a reputable shop you shouldn't have to worry about the mechanical and electrical aspects of the swap at all. my car was swapped 10k miles ago in Nov. of 2007 and so far all the hiccups i've had are very minor, and all due to bad luck buying bad used parts.

unless you're planning on getting a very old JDM engine, for me i opted for an 05 USDM engine for complete legality and reliability. to me swapping my 2000 RS by Garage Tuning with 05 engine/tranny = buying a used 05 STi in terms of risk, except my insurance is way less and my car is 350lbs lighter.

not sure what your budget is, but it's important to do it right the first time when it comes to swapping. if you try to find the cheap way out most of the time it'll bite you right back in the ass in the near future. just my experience...

FWIW i much prefer the driving feel of the GC with the same engine/tranny over the newer chassis, it just feels much more raw and i also don't like heavy cars...the EVo/STi at 32xx lbs + curb weight is too heavy for me, and you can esp. feel all that weight when you're rolling off at a green light or in quick transition corners. the downside of the weight saving for the GC is chassis rigidity, but i personally consider it a worthy trade off.

good luck mate.
thanks for the advice man. i was thinking about getting an old L to do the jdm swap and keep it cheap...but it would be a such a headache redoing everything i already have.

i would be doing the mechanical myself but probably sourcing ECS for the wiring because the local Pacific Import Auto swap shop wanted something like 2-3k for a wiring merge :wtf:

· Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
3,187 Posts
Most likely a EJ257. I was going to go with a 20k or 20g but I don't want to deal with an old engine, hard to find parts, and emissions... I just need to sell my quad first.

· Registered
00 2.5RS STM
449 Posts
I know you're pain mate. Personally, I would take care of the loans with the cash, but I hate to owe anybody any money at all, so that's just me.

I agree with the STi swap route. I love driving my RS over any other newer model car I've been in. A lot of people also enjoy riding in it more.

· Registered
93 WRX with OEM+ mods
236 Posts
a little more opinion from me. I have a basically stock 99 RS and an 05 STi with quite a few mods and 380whp. I absolutely enjoy the RS more. I just wish sometimes that it had a little bit more power. I think if I were to swap my RS, I would not go for any more power than say STi stage 2 (approx 300whp). Anything more would be overkill in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.