Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

421 - 440 of 501 Posts

·
Registered
99' WRB GC8 WRX - TooLazy
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #421
The wrap came in today. They sent some pretty funny notes with it aswell as a super cheap plastic scraper and some samples. I tested one of the samples and as expected, the film/wrap basicly doesn't stretch at all. Its possible to stretch it a little bit with heat but not much. I already knew this by watching some vids and stuff, so its not a surprise, but I'll admit it'll probably be worse to work with than I had hoped. Should still work, I don't expect the car to look perfect and I'm fine with having to do bumpers and stuff in few parts/have visible seams and minor imperfections.

This is just hilarious, these chinese sellers are something else, lol. I bet they sent that pink note with every order just in case. And those user names, skype especially

Atleast it is the correct colour. Can't really tell much about quality yet but I expect it to be minimal.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
If you're keeping up with my other journal aswell, and I know most if not all of you are, this is gonna be a partial double post. But, I added workbenches and fixed some lights, so the old cowshed is slowly turning into a nice little work space. Still a bit cold but thats alright.

Aaaaand, the main update, the car runs fine again. I started it up to move it out of the way when I was fixing the ceiling lights earlier and it was all good, lol. I figured the issue was something simple, and had to do with the ignition, probably the spark plug wires, but I didn't quite expect it to fix it self. Either way, I had still turned in the license plates so its off the roads until the swap gets done, the plan is still the same, but since the car runs good I could still go for some runs up and down the fields here if I wanted, its more fun offroad anyway so no need to have it regestered for now :)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
We tested the vinyl on a door today. Went surprisingly well, but obviously the door is pretty flat and simple, no curves or nothing so that probably kept us sane. The paint had some damage like rock chips and clear coat chips but I decided to just go ahead and wrap over it all and hope for the best. Its not perfect, and there some spots that look like they have dirt/sand under the wrap, I guess that might just be damage in the clear coat or rock chip, idk. That really doesn't bother me at all and I'm really happy with how this turned out. We still have to properly tuck and glue down the insides, but thats really the only thing I'm worried about so far. That and that the wrap will bubble or some where the rock chips and damages are.

Super excited for this colour

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
Yeah it wasn't to bad getting it on there, worst part imo was tucking it on the inside and doing the corners, those don't look to good from the inside, but thats alright by me. The Impreza has a pretty simple body style luckily, I bet if this was a car with more curves a chinese vinyl would have been horrible to get on there.

But yeah, definitely a tad worried how its gonna hold up, especially with the rock chips underneath...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #430
Super good progress to day!

This side needs some work. The whole front face is a mess after some old collision repair... Its starting to rust from all the seams and the strut tower is complete shit. I should really redo the whole front but for now I think I'll just fix the strut tower and deal with the rest later. Thats gonna be the only way I'll actually have it done before june like I was hoping for

Really happy with the progress today and getting super excited for more! Wiring is also starting to look like a piece of cake *knocks on wood*

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #433
I mean, to be fair it gained a few inches of lift once the engine was out, lol

Got some stuff done today, mostly wiring related aswell as just some cleaning. The harness from the Outback is super nice cause it has a couple of plugs connecting the ECU to Engine harness to the rest of the wiring. That way I could just remove that part and focus on merging that section to the same section from the Tribeca. Thats gonna be everything I need to merge, period. Then just plug it back into the rest of the Outback harness and go! Super nice!

My gf came to help and went over every pin from the two plugs that plug into the Tribeca engine harness, and wrote down the colour of each and what it connects to on the engine. Just need to get the same done for the Outback section and then merge. Sounds simple enough, hopefully it will be

Meanwhile I did some more tear down on the car and tried to organise the mess I had already made yesterday

We also went out shopping this morning and bought some paint for the engine bay/door jams and roof. And the most exciting thing is this electric spray gun thats probably junk but possibly not, lol. Either way I'm really excited to give it a go. I've never painted with a spray gun before so that should be interesting

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
haha like you said, could be good, could be a disaster
I asked my buddy who painted both my GC and WRX, he said this stuff should very well be usable, but we'll see. Hopefully I can get to testing it soon. Just need to prep the engine bay and fix the rust a bit

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #436
More teardown going on. Really starting to look like a project car now, lol. Doors and side trims are off, aswell as basicly everything else in order to be able to paint the jams.

I found some "fresh" oem paint, really makes me miss it... Looked good

And also I found some leftovers from the puddle fun haha

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
Got stuff done today, pretty happy with the progress.

And the less exciting news is that the front end is complete trash... this has to be the worst collosion repair I have seen. Granted the chassis isn't that bad cause the car alignes perfectly and all that, but all these seams just offer rust...

Not gonna worry about this for now though. I decided that I'd just replace the front as neccesary next year or sometime when I have enough time to do it properly. But then I got a better idea that could involve a tube front or atleast some custom one off stuff, so now I'm actually just excited rather than bummed out haha

And the engine bay is all prepped and ready for paint

I made an axle joke too

421 - 440 of 501 Posts