Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to install a 20mm RSB on my '99 OBS and I was wondering if the endlinks are really worth what you pay for them. Seriously are they worth $100?

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs Silv
1,436 Posts
Well, I put both on at the same time so I can't really compare with out endlinks. But think about it, solid endlinks vs. the stock crap. I've heard you get the same gains again from what you did with just isntalling the RSB.

·
Registered
01 stm sedan w/v4 sugar
3,499 Posts
The rears are definitely worth the money. You want to maximize the larger bars potential, which can only really be done with solid endlinks, and possibly stout mounts à la Perrin and Whiteline– That's only necessary in the 24mm+ range. I have a 21mm bar but like the functionality of the heavier mounts, especially when I upgrade after a swap... Plan ahead if you can.

Do it and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
MY01 2.5 rs Black
696 Posts
Big ass sway bars with stock endlinks have a bad habit of breaking the links too... That alone is worth the upgrade to me.

·
Katy Perry
2001 Outback Sport-Turbo
3,671 Posts
With stock endlinks, the bigger rear sway bar flexes the stock endlinks and therefore is not being used to its fullest potential. With solid endlinks, they dont flex and therefore the RSB is being used to its fullest potential. Get them.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
didnt happen in mine but. one day my buddy was giving me a taste on the twisties and POP goes the endlink. so they are a must with bigger RSB's

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,978 Posts
1) as far as I know stock end links dont flex, but bushings inside flex.
2) if you drop your car, you need to adjust your end links as well, so get adjustable ones.

·
Registered
2008 AW STi
5,361 Posts
I knew a guy who upgraded his rear sway bar and kept the stock end links. He came around a corner spiritedly and snapped his stock enlinks which in turn flipped his car which was then totalled. True story. So you decide. I would recommend upgrading the mounts as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I knew a guy who upgraded his rear sway bar and kept the stock end links. He came around a corner spiritedly and snapped his stock enlinks which in turn flipped his car which was then totalled. True story. So you decide. I would recommend upgrading the mounts as well.
Damn... Ok I guess I'll upgrade!

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
1) as far as I know stock end links dont flex, but bushings inside flex.
Yes they do. They are made of tough, but not that tough plastic. Out of curiosity, I put one in a vice with a long screwdriver. It was pretty easy to make it bend a little. They will flex with a heavy sway bar. How much? Don't know.. but they will.

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
Just get 'em. I upgraded to the beefy gold Whiteline endlinks for the front and rear. Now, I didn't notice any huge difference when I installed them, and I also never had any problems with the OEM endlinks. I'm running a 17mm rear bar, 22mm front bar.

But the idea behind upgrading endlinks makes sense to me, so I think that my car is better off with them. :)

And they bling hard as hell through my back wheels. lolz.

Brett

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
I personally think that they're helpful on any car, but really do the most good if you have a really big swaybar (20mm doesn't qualify) and/or you do a lot of hard cornering. Say, frequent autocross or track days.

I don't think the stock endlinks are the "shit" that some people do, but they definitely can break if you abuse them. Just like anything else. I got Kartboy rear droplinks about a year ago, and like them a lot. Previous to that I had my stockers for about seven years with no issues. Whiteline 18-22mm adjustable RSB, set to 20mm (middle setting).

A smart upgrade may be to get the '04 WRX mount brackets:

http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/products/oem-heavy-duty-rear-swaybar-brackets-p-336.html

Cheaper than aftermarket kits, and definitely good enough for most users. Myself included. The swaybar clamps attach with two bolts with this kit, instead of the OEM single bolt, and little tab on the other side. Which sometimes tended to "pop out."

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
Upgraded endlinks are not only stiffer allowing you to use the bar to its full potential, it also allows you to experience the bar's added stiffness SOONER.

·
Registered
This week: 2005 Legacy GT
1,014 Posts

Answer: Upgrade or Die!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts