Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I just recently bought a 2000 RS. I have been keeping my eyes open for the right car for a few years now and came across one that was rust free! Anyway, I am looking for an aluminum hood for it and have just found out it’s been discontinued. There have to be some floating around somewhere out there. Anyone got a lead on where I could find one or looking to sell one? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
441 Posts
Yeah, contact a JDM importer and they can get you one in a shipment.

It will be blisteringly expensive and that's why most don't have them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been looking for one as well. And I've been afraid to try to order it from a JDM importer. It looks like it can be done for around $900, but I am very, very afraid of being hit with some Customs Fee that I don't understand. I'm fairly sure the part number for the JDM hood is: 57220FA100. If you Google the part number, you'll see what I mean. The US part number 57220FA130, for some reason, it is listed to weigh like 10 lbs more than it should, so I don't know what the story is on that.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
218 Posts
I bought one brand new in tbe box from Heuberger Subaru in Colorado about 2 years ago. When the salesman emailed me to verify the VIN he told me he thought it was the last one available. In retrospect I really lucked out cuz I really didn't pay shit compared to what some people are charging for beat up used ones...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did not. I finally decided to try to purchase from Amayama, and when you put the hood in the cart, it quotes you $810 for the hood and $54 for shipping. I figured when I ordered that would be adjusted to something more like $250 or so. Boy was I wrong. $2400 shipping. Needless to say, I cancelled that order. Oh well. I'll keep looking.

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,289 Posts
I wanted one for the longest time as well. They are so hard to find for a decent price for a facelift hood. Pre-facelift pop up now and then for cheap.

Beware of "JDM" front clips on EBay. I have found most are an RS front end with steel hoods.

Luckily I still have mine, but honestly for the high prices that they are, I should sell and just make a carbon fiber one..

·
www.jackstalk.com
‘98 RS, 911 Cab, CT6 TT, Escalade ESV
5,553 Posts
I went painted carbon fiber, it's mostly the same except it'll shake a little at high speeds (over 80mph) with the stock hood latch and without hood pins. Hood pins solve the issue completely but aren't clean like an aluminum hood. CF is also super easy to repair minor things with laid-fiberglass.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Since I am running out of time before I am going to repaint the car, I might end up going with CF. Without pins, how is it at like 65-70? Any shaking there? The pins are a real deal-breaker for me. I'd rather keep the weight of the original hood than go CF with pins.

·
www.jackstalk.com
5,553 Posts
I don't really remember as it was like 10 years ago. It really wasn't that bad but noticeable. You just see the driver side front corner lift up a little over the headlight. At higher speeds (over 100) itll shake pretty violently without pins. I never had it break loose though.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
621 Posts
I'll try to post some video soon, but my CF hood shucks and jives with the best of them at highway speeds. I'd say there's a solid 2" of Total movement range at the scoop. Like Jack_Stalk said, it's held so far, but I've been thinking of hood pins just to be safe. Why no hood pins?

·
www.jackstalk.com
5,553 Posts
Without hood pins it looks a lot cleaner, hood pins can allude to the fact that the car is modified and will make it a target for thieves as well as give off that "boy racer" vibe. I didn't care back when I was 20 but now in my 30s I prefer the sleeper/clean look with tasteful visual mods that look like they belong from the factory.

·
Registered
01' Impreza 2.5RS Red
20 Posts
Im looking for the pre facelift hoods and theres plenty in the UK, some recently for as little as $120!! but with shipping at $1000 minimum its just not practical.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh, thats... disturbing. My apologies! Just, as in about 6 months ago. There wasnt any talk about a shortage or anything. I stand corrected.

I was able to place the online order successfully, and I followed up a couple weeks later as there wasnt movement on the order from their webpage. I ended up calling them and chatting them up.

When I saw the page I linked, I saw that it is marked as still available, so that's on me for not double checking first.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No worries at all. I realized after I posted my response that it probably came off as "WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY SOLD ONE TO YOU AND NOT ME?!?!?!" Lol. I was just trying to see because I was going to try again if you got one like a month ago. I contacted them in late April, so that makes complete sense. I appreciate the lead, though, regardless of the outcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just, as in about 6 months ago.
Oh my gosh, it was you!!! 😂 I tried to buy that aluminum hood 5 months ago, but when I went to buy it from Heuberger, I noticed they had taken down their ad.

I contacted Rallispec since I knew they also had them in stock, but when I reached out to them they found out they couldn't get them anymore and they updated their site to say it's SOLD OUT. I went around the world contacting anyone who listed the hood in stock, only for each one to realize they couldn't get it anymore, causing them to update their sites.

I had originally thought that if either Heuberger or Rallipsec sold their last hood, that I'd just buy from the other guy, but it turns out everyone in the world was listing the same.last.hood. Congrats on scoring it! 😄

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow, that's pretty intense! I had no idea!!

It's definitely gone to good use. You will be the first to know if I end up parting ways with it.

Small world, that's crazy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts