Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
ej20 gc8 (bmw steel grey)
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up fellow gc8 owners. i have had an apexi safc for about a year uninstalled. i bought it cuz i got it for real cheap and i know how expensive they are, and i did get it brand new. now the only mods on my motor is an injen cold intake cat back apexi n1 exhaust. but i do plan on puttin in headers and cat. what i really want to know is , is it worth installing the safc and will it do anything besides look pretty. and if there is a way to get anything out of it on a NA motor what should i do . thanks for your help

bruno

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well unfortunately I can't tell you exactly what it will do but, after reading posts of other 98 and 99 owners who use it I now know that is what I should have purchased. Instead I went with the JCS Auto Torque Chip 2.

The SAFC is going to let you tune it a lot better than any chip will. But to get the max out of your SAFC you will need to dyno tune with it.

With the CAI and exhaust you should be able to richen it up a bit near WOT. At WOT I'm not sure if the SAFC is actually useful.

Can anyone explain a little better whether the SAFC or Torque Chips actually work at WOT?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey imprezzive

My buddy has an Apexi Safc on his 00 rs and it works real well. Saves him a ton in gas money and I think really makes a difference in power across the board IF tuned correctly.

As a side note, I see you have a 99 RS. I have one as well and just dropped an Apexi N1 on it. Love the exhaust, but I still have the stock intake/airbox setup. I have been very reluctant to put anything on since of the troublesome MAF. You have an Injen on yours, very interesting. Tell me about it man, I haven't seen an Injen intake designed for the 99 rs. Where did you get it, what was the price and most importantly how does it work?

Any info would be a help dude

Thanks
John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey imprezzive

My buddy has an Apexi Safc on his 00 rs and it works real well. Saves him a ton in gas money and I think really makes a difference in power across the board IF tuned correctly.

As a side note, I see you have a 99 RS. I have one as well and just dropped an Apexi N1 on it. Love the exhaust, but I still have the stock intake/airbox setup. I have been very reluctant to put anything on since of the troublesome MAF. You have an Injen on yours, very interesting. Tell me about it man, I haven't seen an Injen intake designed for the 99 rs. Where did you get it, what was the price and most importantly how does it work?

Any info would be a help dude

Thanks
John

·
Registered
ej20 gc8 (bmw steel grey)
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey john ,

whats up man, i have to agree with you on one thing, and that is that the apexi n1 is the sweetest sounding exhaust , lol. one thing , how did your friend tune his car, cuz i did hear that i would have to get an egt guage to tune it that way. im just hearing so many different stories concerning the afc that i dont know if i should install it or sell it.

p.s. i have the cold air injen intake, and lemme tell you that its sweet , sounds mean , and you can feel the difference from the stock air boxes. i also noticed that you live in penn. , where abouts are you , cuz i am in the pocono area alot. that is where i got my intake , from cip in e. stroudsburg.

get back to me ,

bruno

·
Registered
108 Posts
I ran a S-AFC on my 99 for about 8 months till I blew the MAF. I had the luxury of tuning it on all wheel drive dyno. I had a pipercross custom intake, unorthodox underdrive pulley and remus exhaust at the time. I never had the car dynoed before the AFC, but the car laid down 129.7 HP at the wheels, and I want to say 145lbs of torque. Not sure on the torque number, but the HP is accurate. When I had it installed I definately could tell a difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey

Imprezzive I am right around the Philly area. Can you tell me more about the Injen Intake. I went on their site and couldn't find one made for the 99, just the 98. Did you do a custom install or something?

Thanks
John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts