Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I just bought a 97, 1.8, and will be replacing the engine, with something, I wanted to ask this again. I figured by now someone will have done it. I have been searching forever, and can't get anything here, I club, or the rest of the web.

Soooo...anyone know for sure someone who did it. Anyone have a link to a site? Anything?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
two words: STi fucking drivetrain.

i've never heard of anyone doing it and i'm not sure that would be a great way to go anyway. that's alot of weight up front.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Three words: What has an STi Fucking Drivetrain?

What's the weight difference in the 6 vs the 4? Remember, I'm starting with a Brighton-2600 pounds.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked the difference in weghts on the 2003 models that come with a 4 or a 6. Generally, I see about a difference of 100 pounds. I've got a simple solution for that. I lose 100 pounds off my fat ass. Perfect.

Now, why the hell hasn't anyone done this?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
What has an STi Fucking Drivetrain?
a fucking STi :p

There is an L from Chicago that has a blown 2.5L and a semi stripped interior that comes to some rally-xes. faster then snot on a hot day.

i think the weight difference between the 2.5L and the 3.0L is about 100lbs. but that's 100lbs right where you don't want it. i'm not sure about EJ20 weights though.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Four words: STi drivetrains cost about 12K, if we can get them.

I'm thinking I'll get the 2.5, when I come across one for a good deal, and maybe turbo it if I feel like really blowing some $$. Then again, there's no replacement for displacement. It would be nice to start with an H6, and build from there.

The 100 pounds is quite a bit where I don't want it, but then again, I'll balance that out anytime my ass is on the opposite side of the firewall.

Maybe the H6 can't be done, seeing that no one has done it. Who knows what the car would handle like with that extra weight up from, and readjusting the suspension. Might kick ass. Jeff, you're about 100 pounds, how about you jump on someone's hood, and see how his car handles this weekend. What could go wrong?

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
It has been done by some guys in Australia. They also did a twin turbo number on it. Yes, it weighs 100 pounds more, but remember, you can relocate your 50 pound battery to the trunk and it's not that big of a deal. You may want to upgrade the springs but probably not a big deal.

You will most likely have to custom fabricate motor mounts, but you *might* be able to use the ones that come with it, or the 2.5 mounts. It is an inch longer than the 2.5, so a custom radiator and fan will be in order. In addition electronics... yeah, you'll be looking at something aftermarket, like the TEC-III or a SDSEFI (www.sdsefi.com) to handle the ignition and fueling.

Other than that, should not be an issue. It bolts up to the standard AUTOMATIC transmissions (not the 5-speed AFAIK) so there is not an issue there. If you are going to go with the stock exhaust you have to realize the headers may not make it out of the engine bay with hitting something, requiring custom exhaust. The factory exhaust has a valve that opens - in the muffler - at ~22 psi to aid in low end torque. In addition, the intake manifold has a valve that opens to aid in low end torque.

If *I* were going to do this (can you tell I have researched it?) I would build a custom exhaust and intake, getting rid of the proprietory dual-stage valve crap, and definately go turbo. I heard some (unfounded) opinions that the crankshafts were crackin under normal use, so if I were going to go turbo I would have a custom billit crank made, along with lower compression pistons and high-strength rods. The usual stuff on top of the, like studded heads, copper head gaskets, BOV, wastegate, and my personal preference is an air-to-water intercooler.

Any other questions?

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In addition electronics... yeah, you'll be looking at something aftermarket, like the TEC-III or a SDSEFI (www.sdsefi.com) to handle the ignition and fueling.
Why not use the standard electronics that are already on the H6?

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
You're gonna spend the time to remove the dash and pull the entire wire harness from both cars? More power to you, but you're crazy. That could take weeks, and I've heard months, and it doesn't always work right.

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Neighbor used to work on heads up displays for F16's. I've seen him chase down faulty switches that the dealership cannot even identify for half an hour. I'm serious.

I guess an aftermarket system could simplify things, but it's not like it would not be pretty damn complicated as well. I'd just as soon try to tackle the stock ECU.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
I've heard that, to make the H6 only an inch longer than the H4, the cylinder walls a quite a bit thinner, and might not be able to hold more than a ouple pounds of boost. What have you heard about that with the research you have done on the H6?

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I think the new H6 is only 0.5 inch longer actually.

The entire powerplant is only half an inch longer then the prior flat four-cylinder unit while still maintaining an oversquare design with a bore and stroke of 3.51 inches by 3.2 inches. Power output is up nearly 50 up at 212 hp at 6,000 rpm along with a torque increase of 44 pounds to 210 pounds at 4,400 rpm.
from here

http://www.mtdemocrat.com/display/inn_2001_auto/B0419_A.txt

·
Registered
2000 BRP RS coupe
351 Posts
A service guy at the dealership once told me that they made some changes to the subframe when they started using the H6. By subframe, I'm thinking he meant cross-memeber, but I'm not sure.

I also read in sport compact a while ago that the engine doesn't use a flywheel, that's why it'll only bolt up to a auto tranny.

Don't quote me on this stuff, it's just stuff I've heard, I'm just passing it along.

·
Registered
392 Posts
anyone think about just doing a stroker kit for the 2.5? bump it up to 2.7 and run a healthy amount of boost through it and it should make plenty more than the 6 without the extra weight.. and you could get a 2.5 in manual as well as cheaper than the 3.0.

just my thoughts.. wasn't that beast of an impreza that some guy made a 2.5 upped to 2.7 then had 22b flares put on? that should get you where you want to go with less weight..

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I know the limiting factor is going to be the tranny. I'm thinking 300 HP is pushing it. Safer to stay closer to 250-275. Just wondering how much work it would be to get a 6 up to that, vs a 2.5. Plus, the reliability of a 275 HP 2.5 would surely be questionable. The 6 starts at just 212, which I'm sure is way detuned for that size motor. You could easily pull another 50 ponies without getting as crazy as you would have to on a 2.5.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
There are works in progress currently over at the NAISOC site. Pretty informative and really tempting considering you can pick up a COMPLETE SVX for less than a decent 2.5 motor!

Fuck...maybe I oughtta sell my motor and spare blocks and get a busted SVX instead.......FUCK:boxer:

·
Registered
1997 Brighton 2.5
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not familiar with the 6 in the SVX. I was talking about the new H6 in the Outback. Regardless, I'd like to see what they're doing with that SVX motor. GOt a link?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I'm too lazy to get a link. It's in the NA forums. Sorry....

The SVX motor is 220 or 235HP vs the new H6's 212. Parts are probably more plentiful considering the bore/stroke is identical to the 2.2 except for a couple more cylinders added. You can find whole cars for less than the ECU of a new H6. The trannys are known to toast on the SVX, so folks are letting them go cheep.

5spd swaps have been done to them already, so that's not an issue. Check it out and see for yourself what can be done with some initiative!

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Here ya go... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=283077

The SVX motor is 220 or 235HP vs the new H6's 212. Parts are probably more plentiful considering the bore/stroke is identical to the 2.2 except for a couple more cylinders added. You can find whole cars for less than the ECU of a new H6. The trannys are known to toast on the SVX, so folks are letting them go cheep.

5spd swaps have been done to them already, so that's not an issue. Check it out and see for yourself what can be done with some initiative!

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
If the cyl. walls on the 3.0H6 are "thin" ,maybe it is just a bored out 2.7 SVX motor? IIRC more cyls really just make more weight and friction, with overlap on powerstrokes the only real benefit. (smooth) a 2.7 4-banger would be more effieient than a 2.7 6-banger then?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts