Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS STM Sedan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know alot of autox people run this size tire on their GC RS's and was hoping someone that is running this tire could give me some info. I am installing them on a set of Advan Rc's that I bought a few weeks ago and was interested in any issues with fitting them (wheels are 48 offset and I figure I will need to roll the fenders).

Is the right choice or should I have ordered the 205/55 16?

·
Katy Perry
2001 Outback Sport-Turbo
3,671 Posts
Hmm I am still cautious of buying 225s with stock RS wheels and agx/p1 combo. I think it will rub. I might just have to roll the shit out of my fenders.

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS STM Sedan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm I am still cautious of buying 225s with stock RS wheels and agx/p1 combo. I think it will rub. I might just have to roll the shit out of my fenders.
I have the same suspension set-up but I will be running a different wheel.

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
I had 225/45's on stock 6-spokes with AGX/P1's and had no rubbing issues what so ever. The tires were Hankook RS-2's. You should be fine.

·
Registered
1998, subaru, impreza L black
650 Posts
i think it might rub are these going to be for straight autoX or daily driving

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS STM Sedan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These tires are wide :) They showed up on Tuesday and I got them mounted on the wheels yesterday.

I put them on the car and I am just getting a little rubbing in the back in some situations. Looks like if I roll the rear fender it should solve my issues. I think I am happy went with the wider tire esp. for autox.

·
Registered
a fleet of Subarus
239 Posts
If u are serious about auto-x use the 225's 205 are just too skinny...:bitehard:
u need to have some sort of advantage over the civics, they are after all very very light, at least have more contact patch to gain more grip...
just roll the fenders and get a good alignment, with a bit of neg camber the rubbing will be minimal... just remember the rear HAS to rotate a bit to be fast..!
:burnout:

·
Katy Perry
2001 Outback Sport-Turbo
3,671 Posts
If u are serious about auto-x use the 225's 205 are just too skinny...:bitehard:
u need to have some sort of advantage over the civics, they are after all very very light, at least have more contact patch to gain more grip...
just roll the fenders and get a good alignment, with a bit of neg camber the rubbing will be minimal... just remember the rear HAS to rotate a bit to be fast..!
:burnout:
Yah I am on some pretty crappy 205s right now. I am only a few seconds behind those civics. With some better/wider tires...I will be in the middle of the pack!

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS STM Sedan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yea, I've been debating getting these as replacements too. Stock 5 spokes. Or, I could just step up to 17"...

Choices.
I think on a stock offset wheel they might rub on the shock body. With my 48 offset they have just about 1/4 clearance.

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS STM Sedan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought they were 53 but I could be wrong I am kind of a Suby Nooby.

I did a little work on the fenders and they no longer rub on the normal driving stuff, today I will autox them and see what happens there.

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
Most 225/50-16 tires *will* rub on the fender lips and be *very* close to the strut on the inside. Just roll the fender lip in the back and you're good.

·
Katy Perry
2001 Outback Sport-Turbo
3,671 Posts
Most 225/50-16 tires *will* rub on the fender lips and be *very* close to the strut on the inside. Just roll the fender lip in the back and you're good.
I think I am going to go for it. I have already rolled my fender lip so as long as it doesnt hit the spring perch, I will be fine

·
Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,066 Posts
I have stock RS 6-spokes with AGXs and it's very close, but workable... there are some marks on the perch, but it's not bad.

This is with Falken RT-615's though, not sure about Direzzas. Do let me know though, since I will probably be picking some up for the RS soon, I have them on the M3 and I like them. Fun fact -- we had a national champ do some data acquisition at a test and tune and the Direzza Z1 star-spec definitely had more grip than the Bridgestone RE01R ;)

·
Registered
a fleet of Subarus
239 Posts
Yea, I've been debating getting these as replacements too. Stock 5 spokes. Or, I could just step up to 17"...

Choices.
I have! :D
and never looked back... use the stock six spokers for DD or on the OBS nowadays, but still thinking about getting some Z1's for them soon...:cool:

·
Katy Perry
2001 Outback Sport-Turbo
3,671 Posts
My Star specs came in today (225/50/16). So far there has been no rubbing. I have pushed it too! There is much more room between the spring perch and the tires than I was expecting!

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS STM Sedan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My Star specs came in today (225/50/16). So far there has been no rubbing. I have pushed it too! There is much more room between the spring perch and the tires than I was expecting!
Cool, I really like these so far. I think the suspension is the new weak point for autox and I will be looking to upgrade it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts