Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..how much $$ it would take to register/ title a car here? just wondering, because the faster i can find this out, the faster i can go onto seeing if this deal is realistic...

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Registration costs is based on the price of the car. You have to pay $80 or so for registering it and 8.25% sales tax.

·
Registered
STi swapped SF5, WTF?
2,933 Posts
Sales tax differs on what county you live in. It could be as low as 7% and as high as 8.875%.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so, what your saying is, that if i bought a car for $5000, then id have to factor in 7-8% tax of the total value i paid to pay to the state?

that covers registration. now for a title, it just needs to be smogged, riight?

Thanks alot guys. I was googling this but it took me to the DMV sight, and this was at 12ish last night. got frustrated.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Moving to Tri-State............

·
Registered
STi swapped SF5, WTF?
2,933 Posts
so, what your saying is, that if i bought a car for $5000, then id have to factor in 7-8% tax of the total value i paid to pay to the state?

that covers registration. now for a title, it just needs to be smogged, riight?

Thanks alot guys. I was googling this but it took me to the DMV sight, and this was at 12ish last night. got frustrated.
You have to pay Sales tax on the price you paid, another $10 for an inspection, and DMV fees(these can vary depending on if you are transferring plates or getting new ones).

·
Registered
94L
2,782 Posts
You have to pay Sales tax on the price you paid, another $10 for an inspection, and DMV fees(these can vary depending on if you are transferring plates or getting new ones).
NYSI is 21$! I paid 68 bucks for my 1.8 which i bought for 1500...

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
46 Posts
Wait wait wait, so you guys are saying if I just bring my car, my title, and some money, I don't have to do emissions? Please tell me this is true!!!!

·
Registered
94L
2,782 Posts
NYS has an obd 2 connector which just checks the monitors... if you have less than 2 monitors not ready you pass ;)

as long as you dont have a cel...

·
Registered
STi swapped SF5, WTF?
2,933 Posts
So delete the CEL before i go in is what you are saying?
No, that will reset all of the readiness codes(they basically make sure someone doesn't do what you describe). If you can reset your battery and get a 50-60 mile drive done without the light coming back on then you will be fine otherwise that won't work.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
No, that will reset all of the readiness codes(they basically make sure someone doesn't do what you describe). If you can reset your battery and get a 50-60 mile drive done without the light coming back on then you will be fine otherwise that won't work.
+1 on the OBDII stuff.

Registration is based on the car/bikes weight.
Sales tax is just that.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
46 Posts
So if I have a code reader, and just delete out the code, then it'll say none of my other stuff is ready? I'm confused as I couldn't just clear teh two bad codes then bring it in, wouldn't my systems be 'ready'?

Lee

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol, looks like i made a realyl helpful thread.. thanks for all the input guys. i got a much better idea of what im doing.
BTW, i live in Onondaga County. Syracuse, to be exact.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 rs-t
890 Posts
So if I have a code reader, and just delete out the code, then it'll say none of my other stuff is ready? I'm confused as I couldn't just clear teh two bad codes then bring it in, wouldn't my systems be 'ready'?

Lee
you can't "delete" a code with a code reader. you can erase it. but if you haven't fixed the problem it will come right back. what he was saying is the ecu needs to go through its "self check" to be inspected. with subarus it usually takes 50 miles. if you clear your codes with your code reader then drive 50 miles with no CEL, your car *should be able to pass inspection.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts