Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, but does anyone else here have JIC coilovers for their RS's???

I've had a set of FLT A2's for a while now, and have noticed that the lower perch (the part which attaches to the two 19mm bolts has begun to warp and crack the gold paint off the perch. This occurs just between the lower perch and the lower perch locking ring... The coilovers perform well, though, but so far I've noticed that the quality is kinda junk...

Also, one of my friends also had a set of JIC's on his car (also FLT A-2's) and his rear struts had busted and leak oil... I just pray that this doesn't happen to me.

Anyway, If anyone else has had similar problems I'd like to know, I guess I just want to know if we are the only ones with these problems...

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
6,318 Posts
I brought these concerns to Terry at JIC. He says that there have been no complaints from anyone that had their struts professionally installed by a shop. He says that the damage to the struts happens when they are mounted and adjusted incorrectly.
Kevin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to reply so late... I've been kinda busy.
JIC has had at least two complaints from owners, why, because one is me with cracking paint and excessive knocking sounds and creaking coming from the kit (which was professionally installed) and my friend, who suffered oil leaks from his and dampening problems (also professionally installed).
From what I hear, JIC may have made a "bad" batch of coilovers early this year. I'll be sending these back to the manufacturer to be checked soon, though they want me to pay the shipping costs. (BS i say because if they know that they have a problem with manufacturing defects they should take care of it for their customers) :curse:

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
6,318 Posts
Let me know if you need any help. I am good friends with the guys at JIC, you may get better results going through me. PM me if you are interested in my help.
Kevin

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
6,318 Posts
Shin RS! I have been doing some research on you and your problem with your JIC suspension. It appears that it is not entirely your fault. Ok, I talked to John at JIC and he remembers your struts well. The proper preload setting for the springs is 1/4 turn. Yours had 1" of preload. John SPECULATES that the car was too low for you, so you tried to raise the car by raising the springs. That is not how you do it with these, you are supposed to raise the car by adjusting the strut on the strut mount. By raising the car with the spring, you had the struts topping out over every bump, making a horrible noise and damaging your struts' internals. Your other issue was supposed leaking. Dynamic Auto in Lake Forest shipped you your struts. Did they ship it to you in Hawaii via UPS? Suspension must be shipped by boat. By shipping it to you via an air carrier, Dynamic basicly blew your struts just by shipping it to you. Your struts were sealed units. John said that it was not oil leaking, but just grease, and that it wasn't even an issue, there is supposed to be grease on the shafts! If your "professional installer" gave your springs the 1" of preload, he should buy you new coilovers. If Dynamic shipped it to you through the air, they should buy you new coilovers. If they are both guilty, maybe they can split the bill. By the way, there is an authorized JIC dealer near you in Hawaii that knows how to install it properly, and has it shipped to them by JIC properly. It sounds like you have really been taken for a ride by your dealers, I hope they make good for you.
Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts