Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Lego Wagon
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I have had a LOT of older NA scoobs. I love never having to work on them and how reliable they are.

I bought a 05 LGT 5EAT wagon about 4 months ago without doing a whole lot of research. Nice car with 48k on it, auto trans. It did have a couple of issues with torn axle boot and a blown rear strut. Car was bone stock.

I then bought a couple of mods-
Prodrive cans-installed
Bilstein HDs/Swift Springs -not installed
AP- not installed

After having it a while and spending time on LegacyGt Im just not sure if its for me. All of the tales of blown motors, turbos and bad A/Ts have me worried its gonna be a huge moneypit. Im already having to replace the PS pump at 53k.

Anyone else feel this way after coming from NA scoobs? Im fairly convinced I should sell it and buy a NA Outback or another BG or GF Wagon. That or just install the AP flash to stage 1, The suspension setup and get some nice wheels and quit messing with it and hope it wont kill itself.

Its super nice though and I love the color and the full black NON leather interior. This pic is from when I first got it before I had new tires installed.

·
ಠ_ಠ
2,886 Posts
I didn't buy it, but I drove an 03 wrx for a bit and hate the seats, I just didn't feel comfortable in it ever no matter how much I ajusted the seat, always felt like I was sitting too high.

·
Registered
02 Forester L\\ (RIP)01 2.5rs
1,146 Posts
I drove but never bought a 2002 2.5rs and I was very confused. It felt like my GC but more whale-like. Plus it had relatively stock suspension and was like a tank through the corners. A lot less feedback and way more vague, even when considering semi-equal mods. I went right back to driving my car and enjoyed more swiftness B)

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT, 1977 Jeep CJ7
1,222 Posts
went from a 95L to an 04RS....I MISS MY GC.

The GD is more comfortable and modern...but even with the same suspension setup I had on the GC it dosent give me that "OOO i cant wait to drive you" feel

·
Registered
99 rustbox
1,042 Posts
-01 were the best years of subaru. the new cars they come out with get more and more towards luxury than anything (still sports cars, but compare then and now). If you want to "feel" your car, you need to feel the bumps it goes over, you need to hear the exhaust, you need to be uncomfortable and like it.

·
Registered
Lego Wagon
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
-01 were the best years of subaru. the new cars they come out with get more and more towards luxury than anything (still sports cars, but compare then and now). If you want to "feel" your car, you need to feel the bumps it goes over, you need to hear the exhaust, you need to be uncomfortable and like it.
Yeah I would have to say my favorite car was my 93 Impreza L wagon. It had a 1.8 and a 5 speed but the Prodrive WR kit more than made up for it :)

·
Registered
96 Legacy Wagon 5spd
19 Posts
I almost bought a 08 outback xt limited 5spd but decided not to spend the money and I bought a 96 legacy wagon 2.2L 5spd. the 08 was nicer and faster, but the 96 'felt' better. My only complaint is the old car rattles that seem to never go away

·
OG GC
OG 01 STM 2.5 RS
1,506 Posts
I think I would hate the trans in that thing out of anything else.
The trans has been replaced with 4.44 from an outback. It's the rest of a 20yr old car that I worry about. :lol:

If you want to "feel" your car, you need to feel the bumps it goes over, you need to hear the exhaust, you need to be uncomfortable and like it.
^ This is so true:lol:

·
Registered
05 LGT, 04 GD, G3 GC all WRB!!
83 Posts
Just got a 05 LGT 5 speed wagon about a month ago. I like it so far. Took forever to find the manual LGT wagon. Rear noise from sway bar links that's about it coming from LGT limited model. Recently sold my 2 WRXs (2004 sedan and 2005 wagon), sold recently acquired updated 98' 2.5RS coupe as well. I am keeping my 93' L sedan!! Multicolored RHD build again but with JDM GD STi interior update. It's starting to resemble my previous RHD build which is a good thing. Newer models don't handle as well but interior is nicely updated. I am keeping 93' L because even my wife knows it that I always revert back to GC platform anytime I upgrade to newer models. Classic model is in it's own class. It'll be built, updated, painted and hardly driven but all mine!

·
EZ GF w/Curves!
97'OBS/94'SVX LSi/00'OBS/01&#8
8,816 Posts
Eh, that's nothing, try owning an SVX, :lol: sometimes I wish I would have bought a newer subaru.
You shut your mouth! :lol:
I love my older cars but I'd much rather have a new STi and my baby and my SVX.
You have to remember newer cars are for a different customer than older cars. Especially looking at the brand new 12' Imprezas (Which I personally like) and the new Legacy and Outbacks. My dad has 11' Outback and it's pretty nice but it is a base model and feels too soft.

My advice is reflash witht he AP and maybe keep it simple with suspension. Maybe stage two but it is what it is. It will never be an Impreza with that much longer wheelbase and heavier weight... The 5eat is really sloppy unless you take the vavlebody out and send it off to get reworked but it's reliable and not prone to break.

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,936 Posts
I didn't have to buy one to not like em, I just drove one ('08 STI) and that set things in stone. These are still $20,000 cars yet they're charging $40,000 for them so for a few grand more I got a Bimmer instead.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.