Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title says.. I'm wondering if anyone done any Legacy Spec B 6MT tranny swap to GC8 chassis?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Yupppppp.

Biggest pain in the ass.

Awesome gearing, but a HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS.
I need to make a write up for the actual swap, These transmissions are only 3200 new...FYI.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
what was hard aobut it?
doesnt seem like much compared to any other tranny swap.
Quite a few things are different than a 'normal' subaru transmission swap. canbus vs not being one of them.

But...at the risk of dealing with certain people... I'll make a write up, and PM it to people when I get a chance.

The swap wasn't that bad...it was getting it delivered and having to deal with all the drama from the seller.

Oh well, live and learn. BUY NEW. Then buy a new front bellhousing and front diff and a laundry list of other parts that I have sitting around. Also, read about how the 6mt comes apart, certain people will tell you that the whole transmission doesn't need to come apart...ask a subaru tech...it does. Study the service manuals, learn to set pinion angle, know where and what plugs you'll need. Know what clutch master you'll need, know what clutch you're going to use. blah blah blah blah.

I like the transmission, but... unless you DD your car (Loooooong commutes, turbo motor, built up...blah blah blah), just spend the extra money and buy an STi transmission. My car for the most part has been made to 'piss people off' or 'just because I can', it is just the way I tend to do things. For instance... taking a perfectly good full swap and interior(in 06...been sitting since then...just waiting) to be stuffed it into a 87 mazda 'lowrider' aka my garage ornament.

If you buy used... make sure you get them to rip the transmission apart and show you all the gears and shift forks and and and and and and. Otherwise...headache time.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,268 Posts
Get a '07 STi 6spd and have Legacy Spec B 5-6th gears installed.
There's nothing special besides longer ratios.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Get a '07 STi 6spd and have Legacy Spec B 5-6th gears installed.
There's nothing special besides longer ratios.
From what I understand... The Legacy SpecB gears won't fit on the STi shafts. I was also made to understand that the SpecB 6mt won't take the STi gears/syncros.

i agree with the 07 but 3200 bucks for a new 6 spd aint bad considering you can pay 3500 for a used sti one.
Considering the amount of work that you'd have to do to the 2008 SpecB Transmission.... without doing it yourself or having a great hookup through a shop...it's not worth it.
Bellhousing --- 400
Front diff --- 600+ depending on what you get.
Speedo Gear --- ~60$
Front stubs so that you can use your stock axles --

Early 2004 Axle Seal Part Numbers (to be used with axle stubs / female axles):
Left: 806730041
Right: 806730042
Axle Stub Part Number: 38415AA110 x2
Circlip Part Number: 805329010 x2

There are most of the part numbers...

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
How is the bellhousing different?

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
So it bolts up, but there's no spot for a speed sensor?

Seems like you could find a much simpler fix than replacing the entire bellhousing.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
So it bolts up, but there's no spot for a speed sensor?

Seems like you could find a much simpler fix than replacing the entire bellhousing.
There are a few options, none of them simple. I went into damn near hobbit mode trying to figure out the pulses that the vss was looking for along with the wavelength that they needed to be. Can it be done? Yes. Was it something that I wanted to do, considering we finished the entire drivetrain outside of the car the week of subiefest and installed it the day of, leaving northern california at 11pm Friday, arriving at SubieFest @~4-5am (I don't remember)... NO! I wanted a perfect Subaru, that could break down and be worked on by any shop or anyone. (should it ever get sold).

hopefully some one will come up with a conversion kit. id like a spec b tranny
Yea, someone did....It's called SOJ/SOA. The 07 Bellhousing is used (as it's the only bellhousing Subaru sells these days, cracking issues at the shift fork I suspect.)
Any 6mt front diff from a car that uses a VSS. I used a Helical front diff for obvious reasons (one being it came with the transmission, but had it not been what it was...it would have been sold and one would have been sourced.)

VSS and reverse sensors came from my RS trans.

Dowel pin came from Home Depot.

Shifter linkage was from a gentleman out of fresno, as the one shipped to me was for a SpecB...not a GD.

An STi driveshaft was used....as my automatic driveshaft is (STILL) in the GST L. ;) it was a trade between Mike and I when the L was getting tuned at dbtuned.com and they realized that the R180 they had, had a R160 flange on it.

A R160 rear diff from a WRX was used, with a new R180 flange.

04 STi stubs & clips were sourced from the dealer along with most of the new parts.

An Exedy twin disk 6puck sprung clutch was used along with the stock rubber RS clutch slave hose, as the SS one was found to be broken after I used the old motor to snap and shatter every single gear in the Stock transmission and Stock rear diff.

bleh...it's late and i'm drinking...this is about as detailed of a post about this transmission swap as I'll be posting.
no front lsd or dccd :( NEXT
Cheap, better gearing, Solidly locked 50/50 center diff, and Perfect DD gears...MINE! GL with the 'drag transmission' aka an STi transmission.

I love being able to float my way to speeds. Makes for great fun!:eek:mg:
Matches up perfectly with my built motor...now...time for a few new upgrades water meth and EL headers...maybe a new turbo. All after the truck is done....

-Ra88it

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,268 Posts
So I called my dealer for part #'s. 4th gear ratios are different part numbers, that means it's more than likely different part #'s for the other gears??? The Shift linkeage is a different part number too. The JOINT is the same but the linkage rods/arms are different.

However Rallispec sells the longer ratios 2-6. But it also includes the MAINSHAFT, which is the difference IMO in between the two trannies.

From Rallispec's website. http://www.rallispec.com/prod_trans.htm
High speed ratio conversion ideal for high speed track or drag use. Improves gear spacing over existing USDM ratios. Includes main shaft and 2nd-6th gears. Includes updated 2nd and 3rd synchros (required for pre-'06 models) and special keyways.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
So I called my dealer for part #'s. 4th gear ratios are different part numbers, that means it's more than likely different part #'s for the other gears??? The Shift linkeage is a different part number too. The JOINT is the same but the linkage rods/arms are different.

However Rallispec sells the longer ratios 2-6. But it also includes the MAINSHAFT, which is the difference IMO in between the two trannies.

From Rallispec's website. http://www.rallispec.com/prod_trans.htm
I'll never ever ever ever ever ever ever shop from them. EVER.

The amount of hate mail that I got when I spoke up about his employee's shady 'business' practices..

That being said. The linkage is not needed, you need a GD linkage. The Legacy linkage is ~2inches too long on the lower bar.

The 'longer' Ratio gears are for STi transmissions, AFAIK.

For example, when I attempted to put the SpecB center diff into an STi transmission... It didn't work, wouldn't fit/line up/or anything of the like.

·
Registered
2001 Rsti silver 340hp protune
4 Posts
There are a few options, none of them simple. I went into damn near hobbit mode trying to figure out the pulses that the vss was looking for along with the wavelength that they needed to be. Can it be done? Yes. Was it something that I wanted to do, considering we finished the entire drivetrain outside of the car the week of subiefest and installed it the day of, leaving northern california at 11pm Friday, arriving at SubieFest @~4-5am (I don't remember)... NO! I wanted a perfect Subaru, that could break down and be worked on by any shop or anyone. (should it ever get sold).

Yea, someone did....It's called SOJ/SOA. The 07 Bellhousing is used (as it's the only bellhousing Subaru sells these days, cracking issues at the shift fork I suspect.)
Any 6mt front diff from a car that uses a VSS. I used a Helical front diff for obvious reasons (one being it came with the transmission, but had it not been what it was...it would have been sold and one would have been sourced.)

VSS and reverse sensors came from my RS trans.

Dowel pin came from Home Depot.

Shifter linkage was from a gentleman out of fresno, as the one shipped to me was for a SpecB...not a GD.

An STi driveshaft was used....as my automatic driveshaft is (STILL) in the GST L. ;) it was a trade between Mike and I when the L was getting tuned at dbtuned.com and they realized that the R180 they had, had a R160 flange on it.

A R160 rear diff from a WRX was used, with a new R180 flange.

04 STi stubs & clips were sourced from the dealer along with most of the new parts.

An Exedy twin disk 6puck sprung clutch was used along with the stock rubber RS clutch slave hose, as the SS one was found to be broken after I used the old motor to snap and shatter every single gear in the Stock transmission and Stock rear diff.

bleh...it's late and i'm drinking...this is about as detailed of a post about this transmission swap as I'll be posting.

Cheap, better gearing, Solidly locked 50/50 center diff, and Perfect DD gears...MINE! GL with the 'drag transmission' aka an STi transmission.

I love being able to float my way to speeds. Makes for great fun!:eek:mg:
Matches up perfectly with my built motor...now...time for a few new upgrades water meth and EL headers...maybe a new turbo. All after the truck is done....

-Ra88it
Dont the 07 spec b trans have VSS

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
835 Posts
Dont the 07 spec b trans have VSS
Subaru removed the speed sensor in Legacys in 2005, and in Impreza transmissions in 2008.

Those cars get the speed data from the Abs sensors.

Reactions: Cuddysgc8

·
Registered
2001 Rsti silver 340hp protune
4 Posts
So for my swapped coupe
Subaru removed the speed sensor in Legacys in 2005, and in Impreza transmissions in 2008.

Those cars get the speed data from the Abs sensors.
so if I ran a vss pro it should work ? I got a 01 with full 207v7 cammed hybrid swap imma be breaking my 03 wrx trans soon I can feel it and on Iwires site it says Note: If you have a pre 2007 chassis and a post 2008 transmission you will need a VSS Pro to get the speed sensor working

1 - 20 of 23 Posts