Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. My wife and I have taken very few vacations in the time we've been together, and this year we want to finally take one. We never got a honeymoon after we got married in 2002, we didn't have the money. We went on a Carnival cruise in late 2004, but it sucked and we didn't have much fun.

So we've been thinking about all inclusives. Right about the same time, my mother (who's very cool, we get along very well) calls and tells me she's going to México at some all-inclusive near Cancún, in Playa del Carmen.

It's mid-September, and in the mid-$900s, including everything (airfare, room/board, etc. of course). Sounds pretty great to us, and though we were trying to avoid the Caribbean-type spot this time, this is different than being on a cruise ship. Also different than the other times I've been to the Virgin Islands, visiting my Dad (on his sailboat). It's okay, but space is confined and you're always moving around.

The thought of going somewhere and staying there for a week, actually seems nice for once. :)

So....... I wanted to ask my nearest and dearest on RS25, about who's been on an all-inclusive. Or who's been to México (specifically this area). Or both. Just get some opinions, I guess.

I do know that it's dead-smack in hurricane season.
I do know that Cancún is a party capital.

These things aren't preferable, but for the price range, I'm very interested. We also want to do some domestic trips, since neither one of us have really done much in California, or anything at all in the Pacific Northwest, or Mountain states. We're low-maintenance people; we do like to be comfortable, but we don't need a snobby hotel. (Though they are nice.)

Anyway, don't want to ramble TOO much. Just pokin' for thoughts and experiences.

-Chris

·
DWAFTW
03 Silver WRX Wagon
10,140 Posts
Yep...me and my fiance are going to Playa Del Carmen for our honeymoon Sept 9-16th, at an all inclusive resort. We are stayin at the Real(Ree-Al) resort. That's not the full name...I cant remember the rest. But it looks very nice. It's just a shade over 3200 bucks, and the rooms look awesome, plus you get some cool stuff along with(an hour with a Mini Cooper...lol). I will post the link later, as I am gettin ready to walk out the door.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
That price does seem pretty good.

If getting away from everything but each other is your thing (someone my mind strays) renting a small cabin in the mountains or a forest is always real nice. Very quiet and private, they can usually be found on a lake or something and are generally not terribly expensive.

Just a suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the "totally secluded" thing is nice, but we also live in a small house in a pretty quiet spot, so we kinda get that anyway. Well, when we're home. And not busy. :p

We'd definitely enjoy that. But we also do like the hotel gig sometimes. I dunno, we're thinking about it.

WCU,
Cool, so we'd be down there (if we go, and I think we will) almost at the same time! We'd be staying at the Riu Yucatan.
www.riu.com

·
Registered
99 rs w/ EJ205
982 Posts
a friend of mine has gone to jamacia with an all-inclusive type deal...said it was great, everything worked out well

·
Registered
Steel Grey WRX Limited
3,043 Posts
my wife and i stayed at the Xpu-Ha Palace on the Mayan Riviera (just south of Cancun) and i think it ran around $2700 for 5 days. the resort was amazing and they had included tours of the Mayan ruins in several places and all kinds of shit.

our was a littlre more expensive than normal because we added an extra day. i think 7 day was around $3500 or so but man is it ever worth it.

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool. Yeah I think ~$2,000 for two people for a week is a pretty sweet deal. The hotel seems to have very decent accomodations too, I mean it's not going to be like a $5K hotel, but.......... that's kind of obvious. :)

We'll do stuff like that some day, too.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
If you're real adventurous (and have more than a week) trips to China can be had for a decent price and when you are there expenses are MINIMAL. You and your wife could have a meal for a couple American dollars.

My sister went for three months and loved every second of it.

That's a bit different than Mexico, but maybe that's your thing.

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lots of things are our thing. :D We're very adventurous, at least at heart. It's a matter of time and money, especially now that we have a new business. We don't have kids yet, but we don't want to wait too long for that, either. We've been together for nine years, this year (married for five, this September). We're both 31.

Asia would be awesome, I want to do that. My wife went to Viet Nam in grad school, and went there to work with the Vietnamese Red Cross on a service trip. She's a chiropractor; her school has Clinic Abroad programs to all sorts of places. She wanted to go to Kathmandu, but that was right when the royal family was murdered.

Anyway she loved it there, and wants to go back some day. So that's a maybe. We also very much want to do Spain, Italy, Germany, Greece, Ireland and the UK, among others (Sweden, Switzerland, Austria are on my list).

So when am I hitting Powerball............?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hahaha seriously.

I don't remember the name, my boss had told me about it from when he went.

Theres a program that lets you fly into Paris... you then get a short term lease on a decent Euro car (maybe a Euro spec VW or a Puegot) my boss said it wasn't anything like a Mercedes but it wasn't a Chevy Aveo either. You take the car for 2-3-4 weeks whatever and drive around Europe. He said it was a great way to see everything because Country to Country is like state to state here.

Like I said, I don't remember all the details but if you do some searching I'm sure it'll turn up. And again, I don't remember the exact cost but I remember it being very reasonable.

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm that's pretty cool actually! I might have to look in to that. :)

Paris doesn't really sound all that intriguing to either of us, but as a starting point that'd be fine.

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh and Wally, not sure how I never knew this, but you're a comics guy eh?

Cool! Me too. :D

I had an occasional strip that I did for my high school newspaper. Wasn't very good though. My talent's a little dusty, but I'm mostly in to superhero stuff. I'm more in to writing than drawing, but every once in a while I get the itch. :)

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
Playa Del Carmen was the best kept secret in the Yucatan... while people were raving about Cancun (Mexico's Miami Beach) and Cabo (everyone at the bars, were the very people you were trying to get away from!) there was Playa Del Carmen just sitting on perhaps the best beach in Mexico!

Yes, the word got out and you can no longer purchase a house for a song, but it remains a well guarded little piece of paradise... it still retains the flavor of Mexico (good & bad) and has not turned into an Acapulco!

All inclusive? I traveled all over the US and the world for business for over 25 years (as a location scout for the film industry). As a young man it was great. However, travel is work... no two ways about it. I was on the road 200-250 days a year, in planes, rental cars, hotels. Explain to me why the airlines award someone who is on a plane all the time for work free tickets to get back on a plane? Sorry, I digress.

Now, since my life was so full, any GF or wife at the time, of course wanted to travel too. So, my vacations had to be to lovely places in the world ~ but it was MY vacation too and I had to relax!

This is when I discovered 'all inclusive' vacations. No decisions, no worries... just RELAX. Yes, I was still traveling... but, everything was taken care of and I knew how much I would be spending (when it was my money, it mattered).

The 1st 'all inclusive' I did was Hotel Cabo San Lucas back before there was even a hint of 'Cabo Wabo'. I have never looked back. Although I gave up my job shortly after 911 (travel has now become unbearable in my book), I continue to vacation at all inclusive resorts. You can go from 5 star to cozy and everything is included.

You can't really go wrong... :bump:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Siper2 said:
Oh and Wally, not sure how I never knew this, but you're a comics guy eh?

Cool! Me too. :D

I had an occasional strip that I did for my high school newspaper. Wasn't very good though. My talent's a little dusty, but I'm mostly in to superhero stuff. I'm more in to writing than drawing, but every once in a while I get the itch. :)
I get the itch to do the drawing side often too, but since I rarely get the time I lost most of the limited talent I had. I write, we both make the story boards, my friend pencils, I ink and letter. We got a couple diff comics going right now. One is a war/action one and one is more of a sitcom style. Slow moving with full time school/work and my partner in the Marine Corps. www.wallyhawk.com if you're interested :)

I'll check your pic when I get home, Can't see it at work.

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, thanks for that. Location scout, huh? For as busy as it sounds, I bet that was kind of cool.

I'd have loved to have been in your shoes, for the Australia finding for Superman Returns. :D (But I'm a Superman junkie.)

I've been fortunate to go to the Bahamas twice in my young life (younger teen years), and to the Virgin Islands I think five times, so far. But it's one thing to spend a week on my Dad's boat, quite another to just veg in a pampering hotel with my wife! So, I'll "cope" with the palm trees and blue seas for one more round, for something like this I think!

I've also seen several "undiscovered gems" become public. Take Myrtle Beach, SC! My family used to vacation there at the end of the summer, for a week every year. My Dad, his sisters and his parents. When I came along, I went too. This was in the late '70s and early '80s, and then... there was still a strip of hotels, but NOTHING like it is now. My parents divorced when I was young, and my Mom actually moved down there in '94.

It's crazy. Even in the time she's been there, the face of the region has totally changed. It doesn't even take a couple of years for it to grow seemingly exponentially. Pretty crazy, and kind of sad actually.

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wally Kincaid said:
I get the itch to do the drawing side often too, but since I rarely get the time I lost most of the limited talent I had. I write, we both make the story boards, my friend pencils, I ink and letter. We got a couple diff comics going right now. One is a war/action one and one is more of a sitcom style. Slow moving with full time school/work and my partner in the Marine Corps. www.wallyhawk.com if you're interested :)

I'll check your pic when I get home, Can't see it at work.
Yeah that's where I got the pic, it's yours not mine. This one:

http://www.wallyhawk.com/images/Water_by_Hawk_Iraq2006forsite.jpg

:)

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
Oh yeah. I used to use Hilton Head Island quite a bit as a location when there was damn near nothing on that island. Now, I am surprised it doesn't sink from it's own weight!!! :noes:

·
Super Moderator
9,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, so I hear. My Dad's been there several times, but he's an offshore sailor so he's seen a lot of things come and go, on the eastern cost.

·
Premium Member
99 RS, 01 RS, 01 Forester S
1,635 Posts
I'm going to Cancun Mexico the first of July. My wifes planning it out, so I dont know the name of the resort. Its an all inclusive type deal. Its costing us a little over a grand for three nights. Im going to get my first passport today. Hopefully we'll get the passports before the vacation.

I'll let you know how it goes. This is the first major vacation and the first time I'm leaving the U.S. As kids I was lucky to go camping, although one year we went to Disney Land.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts