Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if there is a away to tell if i have an aftermarket clutch. it seems like the old owner took good care of the car because it has EBC red stuff brake pads, all there are maintence stickers all over the engine bay. not to mention how low the miles are. i bought the car from a dealer down in texas and they said the clutch has about 80-90% life left. anyway to tell what clutch is in there?

like can i look down that plug thing below the TB and peek in there? or its impossible to look at the inner workings?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Its gonna be really tough without separating the engine/transmission and poppin it out.

unless there is some automotive secret out there.... (les hope!)

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
There's an inspection plate that you can remove, as you described, but IIRC, when you remove it, you can really only see the flywheel and not the clutch. Even if you were to see the clutch, there's really no way to tell the brand without pulling the motor or dropping the tranny.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
The only way you'd be able to tell is if you were familiar with clutch brands and their pressure plates, or if there was a sticker still on the plate. You can see the pressure plate, just not the entire thing, you'll have to turn it slowly to check for a sticker or name stamp. I recently greased the fingers and release bearing through the release fork hole, and I could see the pressure plate. I had to take the rubber surround off the release fork and hold the mag light with my teeth, lol.

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only way you'd be able to tell is if you were familiar with clutch brands and their pressure plates, or if there was a sticker still on the plate. You can see the pressure plate, just not the entire thing, you'll have to turn it slowly to check for a sticker or name stamp. I recently greased the fingers and release bearing through the release fork hole, and I could see the pressure plate. I had to take the rubber surround off the release fork and hold the mag light with my teeth, lol.
ill try to look there. thanks. and i figured that if it was an aftermark clutch then the pressure plate would be colored.

oh before i forget.... is it ok to buy a used clutch/LW flywheel?

·
Registered
STi swapped SF5, WTF?
2,933 Posts
As far as buying used, I would definitely get the flywheel resurfaced first and probably get a new throwout bearing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts