Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this just popped up on my feed. Been looking for one for awhile now. Only 88k miles. Pretty much stock (besides intake). According to the seller he inherited the car 8 months ago... So he does not know much about the maintenance or anything like that. He says the owner has had the car since new. No check engine lights. and clean title. So there is not much known about its history since this guy inherited it I guess - $14k sounds steep af - but looks clean - Any opinions on the price and thoughts on this deal?

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
576 Posts
Must login to facebook to see, can you post the details of the car here? Any non-swapped 93-01 impreza better be under 50,000 miles or IMMACULATE PERFECT CONDITION to fetch over $10,000.

·
Registered
583 Posts
So this just popped up on my feed. Been looking for one for awhile now. Only 88k miles. Pretty much stock (besides intake). According to the seller he inherited the car 8 months ago... So he does not know much about the maintenance or anything like that. He says the owner has had the car since new. No check engine lights. and clean title. So there is not much known about its history since this guy inherited it I guess - $14k sounds steep af - but looks clean - Any opinions on the price and thoughts on this deal?

Add $6k more and buy someone else's STI swapped coupe.

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
576 Posts
I bought my 2001 RS coupe with 100k on it for $6500 in December 2007 when it was seven years old. It blows my mind the same cars are worth double 20 years after they were new.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
284 Posts
If I were in the market for an RS, I'd consider paying that price if all of the following were true:
  1. I really, really wanted automatic and there's no way I would ever consider manual
  2. If I really, really wanted white and wouldn't settle for another color
  3. Didn't care that it was resprayed and/or I knew enough about paint to be able to tell how good of a job it was (like look at the overspray in the wheel well)
  4. Underneath has basically zero rust...like to the degree that some of the subframe is still factory color
  5. I was sure the head gaskets had been replaced or I had the means to change them myself
  6. I brought a scan tool to let me know that all systems were ready/checked to ensure no codes were recently erased
If a single one of those answers are "no," $14k isn't happening. I'd be comfortable paying 10 if I loved the color, was convinced of the quality of the respray, had no rot on the frame, and didn't want manual. Regardless, at 14k, it's going to be sitting on Marketplace for a bit, so you won't need to pull the trigger right away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In my opinion (for what it's worth) I would not pay that amount of money for any used vehicle that was not certified or being sold by a reputable/authorized dealer. A vehicle that old under pristine condition is not worth 14k, if that vehicle was for sale in my area in perfect condition it's worth about $5500. The vehicle has been modified, and repainted you should take a scan tool with you when you test drive it. If you like it and the vehicle checks out you like it do some haggling. Ultimately what we say or suggest are just suggestions and opinions. It's your money and up to you. I would wait a week and go thru the checklist that everyone else is providing you. I also suggest you put the vehicle on a lift if possible and see if anything is leaking underneath. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts