Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
yeah, i'm going. it's not about how fast your car is, honestly. buttonwillow is a fairly complex track that is 3 miles long and has 23 turns. there were barely modified miatas keeping up with honda s2000s last time. so it's really all about taking the right lines through the turns and driving smoothly. obviously if you try and drift through all the turns you will have more fun, but you'll also be going way slower and you will get terrible times.

last time i went and rode along in a wrx wagon with no engine mods and it was great. the handling on a subaru is awesome. just make sure you aren't running RE92 tires and you will be fine. he had falken azenis and they were awesome, especially for the price. i was very impressed with the subaru that day, especially after seeing much more expensive cars like a porsche carerra and mustangs and vipers spin off the road going slower then we were in the wagon.

by the way, the audi S4s handling is not all that. i think a stock rs can handle better from what i saw at the track. and don't even get me started on BWM. yes, they are nice, but IMO they are not the ultimate driving machine on the track.

www.speedventures.net sign up before novemeber first and it's only $125. all you need is a helmet. who's going?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what's the story with your car Eric? What have you done to it? I feel a bet coming on. That is if I go.

·
Registered
219 Posts
the story with my car is that it is probably slower than yours. the story about me if that i am a bad driver so i am not betting against a civic, much less a subaru. but that's why i'm going, to get better.

my car has a few modest modifications. nothing crazy. vishnu stage 0, STi flywheel, STi intercooler, samco hoses, intrax springs, STi engine/tranny mounts, STi pitch rod, cusco sway bar, cusco 40mm rear strut bar, whiteline anti-lift kit, whiteline endlinks, kartboy shifter/bushings. and an HKS BOV that i took off until i get the recirculation kit hooked up.

coming soon (before track day): cusco lower arm mount, intercooler waterspray kit (automatic based on boost pressure), HKS camp system, 17" wheels and tires, subaru 4 pot brakes, DBA gold drilled/slotted rotors, goodridge stainless steel lines, STi brake pads.

wow. that's a lot of stuff to prepare before track day. i also have to install a 4 point harness. it's not required for the track, but i think it will help me a little.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude you have some serious bread to dump into your car. That’s awesome.

Oh yeah my car isn't fast.... I just push the hell out of it :spin:

You wouldn't even bet Del Taco on a lap?
Come on with that set up you should kill me.

I will be on RE92 tires if I go unless I find a few hundred bucks next time I do laundry.

Why do people think those tires suck I wonder? They are a softer compound than a lot of the tires Subaru guys are switching to. Is it the flexi sidewall everyone hates? Or the fact that they don’t look like they are performance oriented?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FRAKK's2.5 said:
WTF is this a fucking bragging contest now????
No Frakk it's not. I asked him what he had done to his car. I am trying to be nice to these guys now. I am sick of the pissing conteast.

Speaking of bragging... look at you signature.

·
It's not a GC
07 WRX Wag0nz
9,387 Posts
Tall J said:

No Frakk it's not. I asked him what he had done to his car. I am trying to be nice to these guys now. I am sick of the pissing conteast.

Speaking of bragging... look at you signature.

My signature is not bragging is it? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Impreza L Sedan 2.
650 Posts
Tall J said:

I will be on RE92 tires if I go unless I find a few hundred bucks next time I do laundry.

Why do people think those tires suck I wonder? They are a softer compound than a lot of the tires Subaru guys are switching to. Is it the flexi sidewall everyone hates? Or the fact that they don’t look like they are performance oriented?
Honestly, the RE92 is not a bad tire...and for an OEM tire on a car as inexpensive as a Subaru it's a pretty damn good tire.

I think a lot of people blame their poor driving on anything else other than themselves...and the RE92 takes a lot of that.

You'll definitely feel a difference when you go to a higher-performance tire...even in the Bridgestone line...the RE730s are a great tire for the price and I hear the RE950s aren't bad either....both have a stiffer sidewall and more agressive tread pattern.

Falken Azenis are supposed to be good as well (for a performance tire you don't have to pay millions of dollars for). I think the Bridgestones have a longer treadlife though.

Word.

-Milan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts