Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 2.5RS that in the future i would like to turbocharge, but as for now i'm looking for something to put on it that would give the car some more power and wouldn't have to be taken off when the turbo is placed in. For now i have a Ganzflow Cold air Intake and a Greddy Evolution Full- Cat Back Exhaust. Any good ideas please feel free to tell.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it is going to be turbo one day you might want to consider upgrading your suspention and brakes. My car with just intake and exaust is still quick enough to get me in trouble. with the added speed of a turbo you need the added control of a new suspention and brakes.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, suspension and brakes is a good idea since your going to need to be able to control the car so its more responsive, especially with a turbo.

One thing about our cars, 2.5 RS's were made for amazing handling, especially with that AWD. Other cars cant keep up with it in the turns ESPECIALLY with a good suspension kit. Thats what is so great about our cars and that is why so many ppl spend so much money into the suspension on these cars before they do anything else.

I just purchased the turbo kit from Ludespeed and my car is completly stock, except I am purchasing a 3" exhaust and an ACT clutch ( I also plan on buying a lightweight flywheel since I am rippin out the tranny to put in the clutch, might as well put in a flywheel for better response while the tranny is ripped out) - these things you will definatley need for a low PSI turbo- at least 2.5" exhaust and an aftermarket clutch - then you should be OK as long as the turbo is pushing low PSI (4-5 psi).

·
Premium Member
2001, Subaru, Impreza 2.5 RS,
45 Posts
Go with suspention. I got STI V5 struts and Eibach springs, with a STI 20mm sway bar. I got them from here . I also had a strut tower on it before. Sence I have put the suspention on it, I have not been able to break it loose (on roads, not in the dirt). After that, the next thing might be tires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't forget about Cams! They will help a lot over the stock ones.

The brakes are a great idea. Performance isn't just about speed, it's about controlling it too.

·
Registered
01 2.5RS White - 4EAT
729 Posts
Normally, the first things people list are tires and sway bars. Anyway, my philosphy is to build a car from the ground up. But it also depends on what you want out of the car. I'd personally do a lot of suspension work.

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
Tires are priority #1, especially if you're going to be adding more power. Stock suspension w/ good tires will easily blow away upgraded suspension w/ RE92's or cheap tires.

You might want to check out whiteline's Anti-Lift Kit, it reduces understeer caused by powering out of corners.

If you want to get rid of body roll, swaybars are an easy way to do that without sacrificing much ride comfort or ground clearance.

After that, drive around and see what you wish your car did better. If you want more power, wait for the turbo, because other mods aren't going to make much difference compared to that. For something that would help a lot down the road, check out phenolic spacers. They help keep the intake manifold cool (cold air = more power), which will be even more necessary when you add turbo.

Don't go buying a super-strong racing clutch; it's better to have a slipping clutch than a broken transmission.

Might be nice to have seats or at least a harness. It's amazing how much easier it is to drive when you're not clinging to the steering wheel for dear life.

And brakes are important too. At the very least, upgrade your fluid and pads when it's time to change them. Then get some stainless steel braided lines, then consider getting into the big-dollar brake systems.

-scott-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts