Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 RS, RBP
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for pointer on how to register, pass smog of '98 RS with JDM EJ207?

Who, where, how and how much

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS, 95 Civic VX
3,762 Posts
Use wrx ecu, engine harness and some other stuff. There a thread somewhere about this info.

·
Registered
'99 OBS
297 Posts
There's a thread. But it really won't be easy if the swap was done without it in mind, you might be forced to swap the harness once again. Welcome the People's Republic of California, a shitty place for car modders and enthusiasts. It's very easy to pile up parts you can't use.

·
Registered
1998 RS, RBP
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do guys know anyone that knows the law and could give me some pointer on the do's and don't's. Really would like to be able to keep my EJ207 longblock.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,609 Posts
Which EJ207 is it in the car? Version 5/6? If so you will need a 02-05 WRX complete harness merge that to the RS harness. Then you will strip your version 5/6 207 block down to a bare long block and install all the USDM WRX parts. ECU, Intake manifold and all the junk attached to it, exhaust manifold, turbo, downpipe, airbox and turbo inlet. your goal is to make it look like a 2002-02-05 WRX. Then you can stroll into the BAR, get your sticker and then smog it later at and smog place normally/"legally".

My friend da5dime on here just got his version 5 long block BAR'd with the above process. He could give you better pointers on what exactly he needed to do.

If you have a newer ej207 it will be easier because the harness should already be 02-05 wrx and you have all the other parts to make it look like a wrx(unless its a version 8+, then you need to swap the turbo set up to single scroll). A 02-05 WRX ECU will run a version 7-9 EJ207. Like Acetech said its easier if the swap was done with the BAR sticker in mind. I have a version 8 STi swap in my car and I specifically went with the version 8 with the BAR in mind. being able to smog the car normally and be able to get a ref ticket and not be totally screwed was one of the goals for my swap. Also going the 02-05 wrx harness route you have more options for tuning the car as you can to to any tuner and get a open source tune for the car. California is stupid when it comes to car mods :boxer:

·
Registered
1998 RS, RBP
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 181stLeader;
Last week I spoke to the guys at i-wire and they mentioned basically the same as you did.

I already got out of a 2004 wrx the ECU, Intake manifold, td04 turbo, exhaust manifold, uppipe and half of the downpipe. The plan is to make everything run as a USDM WRX.

As soon as I get my car back the bodyshop to get spoiler, hood, front bumper and mirrors retouched It is going to my tunner's shop to get it running CEL free.

Which EJ207 is it in the car? Version 5/6? If so you will need a 02-05 WRX complete harness merge that to the RS harness. Then you will strip your version 5/6 207 block down to a bare long block and install all the USDM WRX parts. ECU, Intake manifold and all the junk attached to it, exhaust manifold, turbo, downpipe, airbox and turbo inlet. your goal is to make it look like a 2002-02-05 WRX. Then you can stroll into the BAR, get your sticker and then smog it later at and smog place normally/"legally".

My friend da5dime on here just got his version 5 long block BAR'd with the above process. He could give you better pointers on what exactly he needed to do.

If you have a newer ej207 it will be easier because the harness should already be 02-05 wrx and you have all the other parts to make it look like a wrx(unless its a version 8+, then you need to swap the turbo set up to single scroll). A 02-05 WRX ECU will run a version 7-9 EJ207. Like Acetech said its easier if the swap was done with the BAR sticker in mind. I have a version 8 STi swap in my car and I specifically went with the version 8 with the BAR in mind. being able to smog the car normally and be able to get a ref ticket and not be totally screwed was one of the goals for my swap. Also going the 02-05 wrx harness route you have more options for tuning the car as you can to to any tuner and get a open source tune for the car. California is stupid when it comes to car mods :boxer:

·
Registered
'99 OBS
297 Posts
Seems like you'll be okay. Also, welcome to Cali. Whereabouts?

·
Registered
'99 OBS
297 Posts
Ah, Norcal. There's a good enthusiast following in the area. Maybe see you around sometime.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts