Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
All AWD, some turbo
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking around several forums, and not finding anyone running the new "Spork" from Delicious Tuning.
Not sure how long it has been available, but I only found out about it when I went to purchase a reflash for my naturally aspirated '99 coupe track car and saw that they had come out with this new piece.
Looks great, and the concept seems to be very similar to the Accessport. I'm surprised, but glad, that a company is still developing parts for this old platform.

Any reviews on functionality, datalogging, or issues with connecting via Bluetooth, since it doesn't have a cable?
I would guess the tunes are the same as were being used to reflash.

·
Registered
'01 RS+t STM
1,191 Posts
Wireless updates, especially for something so important... I don't know. I'd much rather have a physical cable so I don't have to worry as much about mother nature hosing my ECM. Current ECM updates take 3-5 minutes with a cable, I know these older ECU's aren't as fancy and likely don't have as large of ROMs but data rates over bluetooth are abysmal.

·
Registered
All AWD, some turbo
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree with you guys about the Bluetooth connection. That's one of my main concerns, and I'm used to my Accessport on the STI using a cable.
A little surprised that nobody is posting with user experience, although it does seem to be a new product. Figured that these forums would be the most likely place to find people still tuning this older platform.
The datalogging feature is something I find very interesting, as it would be good to see logs before and after a tune.

May need to call Delicious Tuning again for more info. I had initially called them for a reflash, but they are no longer accepting ECU's shipped to them and they told me about this product.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
I'll weigh in on this just to dispel rumors:

Bluetooth flashing will not be any less reliable than a cable. You pair the device like you plug in a cable. The pair can't really be yoinked away unless someone is actively jamming your radio signal (which is federally illegal, and would need to be in very close proximity to work). There are buffers, so it won't immediately die if you lose connection for a few seconds, unlike a cable where once it's yoinked, you're toast. It's just serial data. The only downside I could see would be the potential security risk with a wireless flashing system because someone could connect and have a field day, although the proximity is close, and there isn't really any point to do so, so the risk is still low.

16bit ECUs run on 4800 baud, which his 4.8 kHz (flash mode may be faster, but I doubt it) for their serial interface. Bluetooth devices run in the 2.4GHz range, do some math to get data bit rates aaaand.. yeah. You're limited by your ECU serial data rate by a factor of A LOT so it won't be any slower.

Anyways. Yeah. Looks solid.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
235 Posts
If I was Delicious and I didn't want to brick people's ECUs, the way I'd do it is have the laptop/phone whatever send the *whole* file over to the 'Spork', possibly with a checksum to make sure no bits got flipped during transfer. The Spork could then cache it in like ... 4MB of flash (or RAM or whatever) and once everything looks good start flashing the car's ECU. I guess the other thing is that, it's actually just flashing the *tables* right, not the actual bootloader I assume. Maybe I'm off base here, but I'm going to assume they did some basic research on safety before just throwing this on sale. I could be proven wrong of course. :)

·
Premium Member
RSTI
6,844 Posts
The bits aren't really going to get flipped during a transfer. That's not really how it works.

This should be as safe as any ECU flashing out there. Cable or wireless shouldn't be a factor.

Skywalker also knows what he's doing. Maybe he'll chime in here.

cheers

poorman

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS Coupe - BRP
245 Posts
Looking around several forums, and not finding anyone running the new "Spork" from Delicious Tuning.
Not sure how long it has been available, but I only found out about it when I went to purchase a reflash for my naturally aspirated '99 coupe track car and saw that they had come out with this new piece.
Looks great, and the concept seems to be very similar to the Accessport. I'm surprised, but glad, that a company is still developing parts for this old platform.

Any reviews on functionality, datalogging, or issues with connecting via Bluetooth, since it doesn't have a cable?
I would guess the tunes are the same as were being used to reflash.

I just discovered this similarly as well, plan on giving them a call this week!

·
Registered
2001 6spd Impreza RS
13 Posts
I'm really curious about this. Would love to see some feedback. My car has cams, intake, EL headers, no cat and a high flow muffler. I keep getting misfires that I think are false.

Also would be interesting to see the flex fuel solution.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
572 Posts
Curious as to why there's more interest in this than, say, an access port.

With the access port you get a screen for gauges and you can clear codes directly from it, no laptop required.

If you aren't tuning you can get a OBDII scanner for $20-65 depending on how nice you want it.

-TC

·
Registered
2001 6spd Impreza RS
13 Posts
Curious as to why there's more interest in this than, say, an access port.

With the access port you get a screen for gauges and you can clear codes directly from it, no laptop required.

If you aren't tuning you can get a OBDII scanner for $20-65 depending on how nice you want it.

-TC
I believe we are talking about NA tuning which is not supported by COBB

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP Coupe
1,772 Posts
Fine, I'll order one. I have a spare ECU I can brick.

MY unique problem is that all of my ECU's already have the I-speed/Crawford SRS19 on them.... I emailed them about it. If that is not a problem (not sure why it would) I will order one and share results and info.

·
Registered
All AWD, some turbo
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fine, I'll order one. I have a spare ECU I can brick.

MY unique problem is that all of my ECU's already have the I-speed/Crawford SRS19 on them.... I emailed them about it. If that is not a problem (not sure why it would) I will order one and share results and info.
I ordered one for around $700. :crazy:

Came in a plain FedEx box, in a plastic bag with a little padding. No case, no stickers, no paperwork. Cobb has them beat on presentation by a long shot!

Several days later I got an email from "Delicious Tuning" with a link to install instructions and a request to send back ECU data so they could send me a tune. Still haven't gotten around to it, as I store the car remotely and hardly every get to it unless there's an event.

Will report back once I try out the bluetooth map uploads and datalogging. This should go well with new headers, mid-pipe, and intake to challenge for the win at Subiefest autocross!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts