Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

· The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Check out this thread for ordering and pricing info:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1447907#post1447907

So I learned how to Flock! I always wanted to have the nice seude covering like on the WRC dashboards, but there are only a handful of places in the US that know how to do it and they charge an arm and your first unborn child to do it. Basically it's a special adhesive that you apply to the dash and then spray on special black nylon fibers. You have to work quickly (about 5 minutes before the adhesive starts to dry out), and then it has to 'cure' for at least 72 hours before you can touch it. It is kind of a PITA, and it is rediculously messy. Those fibers are worse than the styro packing peanuts that cling to everything. I did this last week and my wife is still cranked about it. I even managed to flock the bathroom sink after I tried to wash my hands unsuccessfully. (next time I'll be smarter and wear long rubber gloves)

I started out with just the dash pod first to try out the process, and in a few weeks while the car is at the paint shop I'll do the whole dash.

Before:
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r67/rally-fast/dash pod/001.jpg

After:

Here you can really see the difference in glare from the regular dash and the flocked pod:

Whole dashes I did this weekend at Billy's:

· Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
16,492 Posts
looks good man!

How durable is it? Like can my gf put her feet up on it and not mess it all up? :lol:

I was looking into this a while ago and it seemed to be pretty cheap to do.. and I have my old L dash sitting in my garage!

· The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude, what did you use? Materials came from where?

You are missing all the important details. :p
On purpose! If there is enough interest, I'll sign up for a vendor account and do it for you. The equipement needed is kinda expensive to do it so it comes out well (really important to get an even coating or it looks funky)

If not, I'll think about sharing how to DIY and do a write-up.

· The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looks good man!

How durable is it? Like can my gf put her feet up on it and not mess it all up? :lol:
Not sure about durability yet, but it's on there well. I can rub it fairly hard with a brush and minimal fibers come off, but it took a week to cure fully.

Why on earth would you let someone put their feet on your dash anyway?:screwy:

· Registered
GM6
169 Posts
Did you static charge the dash first so they all point the same direction? Someone at the Alki meet in Seattle last weekend had this, they didn't charge the dash, and it still didn't look too bad. I assume this makes the tools and process much simpler.

I've been thinking about this mod since the weekend...good timing. How difficult is it--is a DIY out of the question?

· Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
978 Posts
Flocking sweet!

If you can do it cheaper than it would cost to wrap it in suade or micro-fiber, I'm all for it.

And from a brief search online.

What is Flocking?

Flocking is the coating of a substrate with nylon fibers using high voltage, electro-static equipment.

Each individual nylon flock fiber is just a fraction of a millimeter thick. Nylon is used because of it's excellent durability and strength, a high melting point (220c) and superior lasting qualities. It is an ideal candidate for application which requires abrasive resistance and resiliency.

An electrostatic charge is generated that propels the fibers at a high velocity onto the adhesive coated substrate. This causes the flocking fibers to penetrate and imbed in the adhesive at right angles to substrate. This forms a high density, uniform flock coating or layer.

This dense and durable finish has excellent anti-glare properties. Hence its use on WRC car interiors.
Yeah, I can see that as not being cheap or easy.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
I have a friend that has his own business doing mobile interior, windshield, and dent/paint repair. He has flocking materials with different colors. He does a similar thing to repair upholstery seats as well. Its nice, but if I did it, my entire interior would have to be done, lol. That would be $$$ and time consuming

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.