Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: Update Post 45, question about H6 brakes.

Like there's not enough of these already.

I'm entering an autocross this weekend, this is my second one but quite a few modifications were performed by the last one. I think I should be STX, however I'm not sure about these mods:

-Nardi steering wheel, airbag system disabled but light inactive
-Safety21/Cusco roll cage, 6pt bolt in, bump padding but no thick padding
-2.2L engine swapped in, still NA

The car is a 1995 Impreza, full mods list on the first page of my members journal. All the other mods should put me at least into STX, just not sure if I'm going to be placed into Street Prepared or higher and have to run with much faster cars.

· Registered
1993 Impreza L Greyish
1,742 Posts
Since it's a 2.2 and not the 2.5 I think you're covered under the update/backdate rules that allow you to you engines from other of the same line (2.5RS is actually considered different than other Imprezas)

You might have to go to DSP to get to a class that allows that though. Not sure what all the Street Touring classes allow.

I think the cage is considered a safety item and doesn't effect class (yes/no?)

Trying to do work - I'll look it up in the rule book later though if someone else doesn't clarify.

-Tim

· Registered
1998 2.5 RS
2,032 Posts
I'm thinking SM but the subframe brace kind of isn't classified.

Otherwise if you swapped everything from the 2.2 you could fall under the update/backdate rules for FSP (minus the brake upgrade, which I believe would be legal in STX).

Cage is safety item and could be run in Stock class.

· ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The 2.2 is just the heads and block. The intake manifold, fuel system, and harness are from the 1.8. I did install an S-AFC, but I think that is allowed since reflashes and VTEC controllers are allowed.

I'm not sure about the steering wheel because STS clearly states that you cannot replace a steering wheel that has an integrated airbag with a wheel that doesn't have an airbag. Since STX uses basic STS rules, I'm not sure if this is allowed. Obviously it was offered by Subaru overseas, but I don't know if its allowed in STX or not.

My questions with the cage are mainly related to the lack of thick padding, and there were mentions of heights and sizing. I didn't get that far into the rulebook, but I thought maybe one of you would know since it's a fairly common cage. I know this isn't related to classing, but I don't want to take the chance of embarrassing myself by failing tech.

Thanks for the advice so far.

· ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, am I right in changing my entry to Street Modified? That should allow for the engine swap, however I didn't see a listing on the steering wheel. Considering the other mods allowed though, I think it should be ok.

· Registered
1998 2.5 RS
2,032 Posts
Yes you will be ok with the steering wheel. In SP you can change steering wheels, and SM uses any rule from Stock, ST, or SP.

I still don't see where the subframe brace would put you, but in all seriousness just go to the event and ask someone if they know. As long as you aren't trying to sneak something by and are open about it most guys on a local level won't care, and will just say run in SM.

· ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may need a stick of padding for the cage to pass tech. Depends on the saftey steward for autocross.
I called a local motorsports supplier and they have the cheap foam padding for about $8-10, so I'll be going to pick some up on my lunch break. I'm going to bring a couple sticks of it and some zip ties to the autocross just in case they require it.

Yes you will be ok with the steering wheel. In SP you can change steering wheels, and SM uses any rule from Stock, ST, or SP.

I still don't see where the subframe brace would put you, but in all seriousness just go to the event and ask someone if they know. As long as you aren't trying to sneak something by and are open about it most guys on a local level won't care, and will just say run in SM.
Are you talking about the Cusco rear tie bar/subframe brace? Honestly, its a joke and it doesn't do anything but protect my diff if I back into something. I'm going to bring basic tools with me, so if the brace alone puts me in a different class, I'll just remove it for the weekend.

I'm going to bring a mods list I printed out for cars shows with and show that to them when I register to make sure I'm in the right class.

Thanks for all the help guys.

· Registered
1998 2.5 RS
2,032 Posts
Are you talking about the Cusco rear tie bar/subframe brace? Honestly, its a joke and it doesn't do anything but protect my diff if I back into something. I'm going to bring basic tools with me, so if the brace alone puts me in a different class, I'll just remove it for the weekend.

I'm going to bring a mods list I printed out for cars shows with and show that to them when I register to make sure I'm in the right class.

Thanks for all the help guys.
That's what I was talking about. I was going to suggest removing it but wasn't sure if you wanted to do that. Other than that I don't see any problem with being in SM.

· ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Autocross is in the morning, I'll show my mods list when I register just to make sure everything's alright. I've brought some tools with too in case the subframe brace needs to be removed.

· Registered
1998, subaru, impreza L black
661 Posts
i think the steering wheel alone take you out of anything like STS STX (if i am not mistaken that wheel has no airbag in it). and i think it puts u into a SM sort of class along with the FrankensteinISH engine(if you swapped it all it wouldnt bump you. besides at your level no one will care you are a novice. if you are in a street prep class go for FSP its can be subaru friendly what Jay storm runs and apparently what i am running now with my lightly modded car

and good luck buddy

· Registered
2000 2.5RS - #74 ST
136 Posts
-Nardi steering wheel, airbag system disabled but light inactive
If the original wheel had an integrated airbag, then this is not STX legal. FSP at a minimum.

-Safety21/Cusco roll cage, 6pt bolt in, bump padding but no thick padding
Bolt-in cages are legal in stock classes, so no issues there. Your local saftey steward might have an issue with the padding, depends on how strict the club or region is about it.

-2.2L engine swapped in, still NA
The 1.8 and 2.2 N/A Imprezas fall under" Impreza NOC", so this (also) puts you in FSP.

The car is a 1995 Impreza, full mods list on the first page of my members journal. All the other mods should put me at least into STX, just not sure if I'm going to be placed into Street Prepared or higher and have to run with much faster cars.
I skimmed the mods, but two things stand out to me as questionable.

Cusco rear subframe brace
*SP has specific rules about subframe connectors and strut bars, check out pages 85/86 of the national rule book for the full list. Technically, this might put you into *P (Prepared) as SM (Street Mod) inherits *SP rules for strut bars and subframe connectors.

Legacy GT 2 piston front brakes
You're correct, in that brake upgrades will put you into STX/STU. However, there are no upgrade allowances in *SP beyond update/backdate, so this bumps you into SM at a minimum (ignoring the brace).

Talk with your local club/region. Unless the club/region is really strict about the ruleset, they aren't going to mind that someone with a mostly FSP car on factory-sized street tires is just out having fun.

· ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I skimmed the mods, but two things stand out to me as questionable.

*SP has specific rules about subframe connectors and strut bars, check out pages 85/86 of the national rule book for the full list. Technically, this might put you into *P (Prepared) as SM (Street Mod) inherits *SP rules for strut bars and subframe connectors.

You're correct, in that brake upgrades will put you into STX/STU. However, there are no upgrade allowances in *SP beyond update/backdate, so this bumps you into SM at a minimum (ignoring the brace).

Talk with your local club/region. Unless the club/region is really strict about the ruleset, they aren't going to mind that someone with a mostly FSP car on factory-sized street tires is just out having fun.
I asked about the subframe brace, and the guy I talked to said that they're not really going to worry about it since it's a local event. It's not like I was going to be a threat to anyone in the SM class anyways.

The front calipers were from a 98ish Legacy GT, but they are exactly the same as the Impreza RS calipers. I'm not sure what part of that matters the most.

I brought a copy of my complete mods list I use for shows, and the guy at the "help desk" looked it over and said I'd be fine for SM.

Hey man, this is Jon - I was driving the S2000 CR and kept coming over and talking to you during the event.. wanted to let you know I am on here as well. I wish I had seen this forum before the event I coul dhave helped you with the issues.

Are you coming out to the Michelin event?

Jon
Hey Jon, thanks for the support and the advice on the understeer, it did help quite a bit. I don't know if I got to tell you after the fun-runs, but I shaved almost another second off my best official run, IIRC down to 45.985.

I don't think I'll be coming to the Michelin event for a few reasons, all of them leading to my lack of funds. This autocross ate the crap out of my otherwise perfectly-wearing HRi's :p, and I want to get another set of wheels and tires to run. Also, the event is too far away from Florence for us to drive back on Saturday night, and I don't have the money for a hotel. I'm a tech at the Nissan dealership down McLoud Blvd, and we've been extremely slow lately so I don't see anything happening in time for Black Lake.

It looks like the next one is the beginning of December, which hopefully will give me enough time to get the tire situation sorted.

· Registered
62 Posts
Hey Jon, thanks for the support and the advice on the understeer, it did help quite a bit. I don't know if I got to tell you after the fun-runs, but I shaved almost another second off my best official run, IIRC down to 45.985.

I don't think I'll be coming to the Michelin event for a few reasons, all of them leading to my lack of funds. This autocross ate the crap out of my otherwise perfectly-wearing HRi's :p, and I want to get another set of wheels and tires to run. Also, the event is too far away from Florence for us to drive back on Saturday night, and I don't have the money for a hotel. I'm a tech at the Nissan dealership down McLoud Blvd, and we've been extremely slow lately so I don't see anything happening in time for Black Lake.

It looks like the next one is the beginning of December, which hopefully will give me enough time to get the tire situation sorted.
Good deal on the 45.. that course ended up a lot harder than it looked, the course designer wasn't happy with it. (even though he took FTD)

The good news about the HRi's - now that you have shaved a bunch of the edge off, the wear will not be "as bad" - it's just that first autocross that you get hurt on. I am about to get ride of my ZRi's - though the set that goes on will just be a daily-driving set as Hoosiers will be the Autocross tire of choice for 09.

Too bad about not being able to make Michelin, but I understand the finances thing.. my first couple years of autocrossing I was camping on site or going to local camp grounds to keep the costs down.

At this point it doesn't look like I will make the December event, I should be going out to run the Super Street Super Lap Battle at Buttonwillow Raceway in California.

Jon

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.