Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, im new to the forced induction scene and after soaking up what i could from reddevil and skidds builds i think im ready to try and throw something together. As of now im gathering parts as needed. I just got my m62 from a 99 slk230, it came with the oem aluminum manifolds so i will try to cut and weld them as needed for a nice transition in and out.

The exaust side manifold of the blower tapers to 2 inch so i will be running that all the way to the throttle body. The inlet is 2.5 inches so ill try to make my stock maf housing work to make tuning a little easier. Ive been reading for months and have no car folks to talk to so hoping to make the best of this.

Now ordering some plate aluminum to build a bracket for the charger. I may cut the hood open and peek the charger out if need be. I am debating on removing the ac and using that side or using the passenger side. If im going passenger side im considering a double power steering pump pulley or removal the power steering all together.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
790 Posts
I was gonna keep it to myself a little longer, but...

I picked up the same supercharger for my LGT. My plan is to relocate the battery and mount it on that side of the engine. I'm going to attempt to weld a power steering pump pulley onto my alternator pulley for a dedicated supercharger belt. The alt pulley spins much faster than the crank, and the diameter of the PS pulley on top will help spin that little charger fast enough to make some boost.

Take lots of pics and keep us updated!
:projectsti.com:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May have to looking into having a powersteering pulley or an alternator pulley machined to be double as they are smaller than the crank pulley i just called a quote for. Some pics of the oem intake stuff ill be using, it should flow very well. I have tons of scrap aluminum and a mig for makeshift braketing needs.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got around to installing the supercharger, the hood closes perfect aswell. Going to throw a belt on it and see how it runs, waiting on piping aswell. Once she runs ill dump all my pics of everything i did. I will even be keeping stock airbox and maf location to make tuneing easy. My belt of choice will be a 4 rib, 55 inch double sides belt.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made all of my brackets off of the ac compressor( off of the car) and lined the supercharger up with the ac. When i got the ac and charger squared up and bolted it to the car it was inline with everything. My bracket was touching my cam sensor and throwing a code but i tucked the wires and have been good so far.

While my piping and small bits are coming ive been driving with the pulley disengaged to see how the belt wears in. There is no load now, but i have a 4 rib for when i engage the clutches on the charger.

A video of it running

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cool build a friend and are contemplating doing something similar, is it still running or have u gotten rid of it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool build a friend and are contemplating doing something similar, is it still running or have u gotten rid of it?
It's my daily driver. I drive it everyday to work and other misc places. I just got my intercooler piping today so im hoping to make some boost by the end of the week. I finished welding up my output pipe and input pipe for the m62 (kept blowing holes in cheap piping) so now im just waiting on my vacuum check valves so i dont boost into my crank case or brake booster.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice! I'm excited to see how it turns out! I will probably start ordering the main bits and pieces this week to start mine.

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,936 Posts
I got around to installing the supercharger, the hood closes perfect aswell. Going to throw a belt on it and see how it runs, waiting on piping aswell. Once she runs ill dump all my pics of everything i did. I will even be keeping stock airbox and maf location to make tuneing easy. My belt of choice will be a 4 rib, 55 inch double sides belt.
Not sure about 02, but I had to get a different MAF. I think i got either a Forester or Legacy. Stock RS MAFs kept dying from too much boost.
What's your boost anyway?

Also, from your video, something is chewing the outer edge of your belt. You probably have a pulley slightly out of alignment.

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
Oh yea! Super nice project! Congrats.. I keep waiting for someone to keep the magnetic clutch...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure about 02, but I had to get a different MAF. I think i got either a Forester or Legacy. Stock RS MAFs kept dying from too much boost.
What's your boost anyway?

Also, from your video, something is chewing the outer edge of your belt. You probably have a pulley slightly out of alignment.
About 7 psi, i split the belt in half with a razor, it was a 7 rib belt at omne point necause they dont make a belt for my applocation.

·
General pain in the ass
3,936 Posts
About 7 psi, i split the belt in half with a razor, it was a 7 rib belt at omne point necause they dont make a belt for my applocation.
No, they dont. Last time I needed a belt, I drove up to the store and after the guys saw my project, they let me try out a whole shitload of belts till I found the perfect one. I was there for hours

·
Registered
1 Posts
What do you have to order and where are you installing it?
I'm with Cabiness, hes working on an 02 RS, I'm working on a 97 Legacy Gt, we were going attempt the drivers side with a battery relocate. Looking at your progress I see you deleted your A/c. Do you think it's possible to stay in the drivers side and maintain the a/c compressor?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm with Cabiness, hes working on an 02 RS, I'm working on a 97 Legacy Gt, we were going attempt the drivers side with a battery relocate. Looking at your progress I see you deleted your A/c. Do you think it's possible to stay in the drivers side and maintain the a/c compressor?

Thanks!
Yes it is possible, you could mount it where i have it but bracketing will be complicated and you will need idler pulleys to make sure the ac and charger have enough belt wrap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finished up the output and input parts, all i need is a reducing elbow and im good to go, ive been shaving my intake manifold to kill time. Ive gotten rid of the egr ducting completely and the egr tube in the manifold. I will grab some muratic acid and let it sit in the manifold for a bit to burn off some casting marks. Alot more shaving on the outside to make it perfectly round aswell. Im having more fun making everything look good than making boost lol.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts