Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'06 LGT SWP
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have problems with my fogs, I think I have that settled out, but now on with the real lights, I just want to ask fiew questions, any who here they are:

I live in Canada, where the DRL (Daytime running lights) are obligatory, and my GC was imported from the states, meaning it didn’t have the DRL. The guy I bought it from had the lights rewired or something, and here is where my question comes in;

When I turn the key to the ''on'' position, the headlights go on automatically, so does the fog lights (if they are on, if not they don’t go on) , and even if I turn the little light switch to the ‘on’ position on the flasher arm, the lights stay on with the fogs, even in the ''off'' position. I was wondering, would anyone know how this would be wired up?

So the lights turn on when the car starts, no matter if the light switch is on or not? I believe it also affects the fogs, since I can turn all the lights off (switch to the off position) during the evening and all the front lights, excluding the corner stay on, but no rear tail lights, or cluster or corner lights, just the headlights and fog, they all stay ‘on’. I can turn off the fogs If I want, with the switch, but I cant with the headlights!

Would anyone know how I can revert the mod, or redo the wiring so when I want to turn ‘on’ the lights, they have to be to the ‘on’ position on the flasher arm and just not ‘on’ all the time?

JP

·
Registered
'06 LGT SWP
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to find the headlight wiring diagram, but I have some trouble reading and understanding what the codes mean, I know the small letters are the color, but other than that I don’t know, any who, here is the diagram:

Can someone let me know what all the codes mean,
for example:
-Combination Switch - dimmer and passing switch (pass,up, lo), lighting switch
-All the small codes, (HF, HU, HL, HC, TC, E)
-MB-4, MB-10, MB-9

it would be really appreciated! I also figure out that the fog light relay draws its power from the headlight relay, so that is why I can run the headlights and fogs even if the switch isn’t on!

Now on with what I want, I just want to figure out what the guy bypassed in order for the lights to just ''always'' be on, did he bypass a switch!

If anyone knows! Please let me know!:D:D
JP

·
Registered
'06 LGT SWP
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One question, where are the relay's located for the fogs, and the Headlights? Ive searched under the driver's side dash, and only found a bunch of wires and connectors, Ive heard they are ''maybe'' under the fuse box, am i correct?

JP

·
Registered
99 SF, 93 L,
342 Posts
The headlight relays are inside the fuse box (engine bay). They are small black rectangular shape. One possible way the previous owner could've wired it so that the headlights are always on (regardless of signal stalk being on/off) is if he bypassed the relay (ran +12VDC to it directly). That would mean once the key ignition is on, the +12VDC switches the relay to on state which allows the headlight 12VDC source to turn on the lights.

One way to confirm this is if you have somebody stand near the fuse box and have another turn the key ignition to "on". Once key ignition is turned to "on" you should hear the relay(s) click.

·
Registered
121 Posts
has this happened to anyone else? im in the same predicament i want to run my corners as my daytime running light but headlight comes on as i start the car. i dont quite understand the diagram :/ anyone has an idea?

·
Registered
121 Posts
bump before i take it to an electrician, or if anyone can tell me where to look first? should i trace the harness from the headlight and see if theyre connected properly?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts