Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

101 - 120 of 259 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY00 BRP GC6
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Tonight I picked up some more things to move along this swap. Full harness including engine, body, and intake wiring, ECU, gas pedal, and steering column.
Along with this, I ordered my TGVs and injectors which should ship out Monday.

Talked to the previous owner of the motor and found out that it was built by a shop in Cali. He's gonna get me a list of what is actually inside. I'm really getting excited to crack this thing apart!

On another note, anyone got a manual 2000-2001 RS harness up for grabs??

·
Premium Member
MY00 BRP GC6
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Moar parts for the swap!
-TGVs and injectors came in
-'05 steering rack/cross member
-V2 Accessport
-Turbo midpipe
-'99RS body harness

I think I'm good on buying parts until I have had the chance to take this motor apart! Speaking of, it has a cool place to stay for a while. Thanks, Pat!

Things concerning wheels/tires...

.....Ooops. Oh well! Winter mode: stockies +dip (idgaf).

And I couldn't help myself... Picked these up from my pal, Lifelessviet!

·
Premium Member
MY00 BRP GC6
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
STi Parts "mini-thread".

Here's what I have:
All parts listed have come from an '05 STi (unless otherwise specified)
-EJ257 (spun bearing, previously built motor. More info to come!)
-Full wiring harness and ECU
-V2 Accessport
-Intake manifold/TGVs/injectors
-Steering column
-Drive-by-wire gas pedal
-Steering rack/cross member
-Nameless(?) turbo midpipe
-KillerB oil pickup
-Oil pan! Thanks Redcam1!
-ARP head studs
-Ross 100mm 8.5:1 pistons
-Power steering pump
-ABS unit
-STi intercooler (buying soon)
-MAF
-GG front sway bar
-Hawkeye 4/2 pots!

Here's what I need:
- '04-'07 transmission/R180/axles (prefer '05-'07) OR
- JDM V7/V8/V9 6speed
-'04 5x100 STi hubs (not looking to go 5x114 right now)
-VF39
-Advice advice advice!

·
Premium Member
MY00 BRP GC6
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Progress update! Heads are off!

The good news is this motor was for sure built. Has ARP head and rod studs, h-beam rods, and forged pistons of some sort. I was too lazy to scrape all the carbon off the pistons, BUT they look like they're Manley . Cleaning them off later today or tomorrow so I can get a picture!

The bad news is actually not so bad. I knew this motor had a spun bearing so it's no surprise that the passenger's side head had some glitter up in there. Spun the crank a bit and it looks and sounds like rod knock on cyl1. Also looks like a bit of crank walk as well. It's not looking so hot for this rod but I'll remain optimistic! I will know more when I have the case in half!

As of now, I'm thinking I don't wanna bother with this crank so I will probably be interested in a nitrated crank from a 2011+ STi. Or any thoughts on aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
MY00 BRP GC6
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Cleaned off my pistons! Fun fact: googled the product number (99726) found dead center on the pistons. Looks like I have Ross forged pistons, 100mm bore, 8.5:1 compression. Not-so-fun fact: our friend cyl1 seems to have suffered from some detonation. Mild pitting on the very top and very bottom by the valves. Hopefully can get a single replacement piston from Ross because I'm thinking it's not the greatest idea to run this one, lol.

Still trying to figure out what make these rods are, product number pictured (6360S). And I'm 90% sure that I already have a nitrated crank... so now I'm really hoping I can save that haha.

·
Premium Member
MY00 BRP GC6
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I've been slacking on this the past couple weeks with progress (the life of a nursing student at the end of the semester). Anyways I've accumulated more things! Got my wagon front sway bar and appropriate MAF. Will be getting my hawkeye 4/2 pots as soon as my supplier gets them! So excite!

In other news, I hate USPS a bunch. Purchased a set of Project Mu lug nuts from a seller in Texas. He shipped them priority with insurance and they got stuck in one location for 3 extra days before I called. They then put an investigation on it and they shipped the next day from Springfield, MA. Got home from work and was excited to see my package. Yeah then I opened it, to find out it was opened somewhere between Texas and Connecticut. Inside there was a cheap little wall charger with USB ports. The seller is legit so nothing PayPal can do to help. Just waiting on this claim to be investigated with USPS for a refund. For the record, whoever does that kind of **** is a giant scum bag and you can suck my metaphorical balls. /rant

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,673 Posts
I hope not either!! I just got home and no package... USPS site says it was delivered. Here's to hoping the management of my apartment complex have it in their office and it has the appropriate contents. :_sure:

·
Premium Member
MY00 BRP GC6
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I hope not either!! I just got home and no package... USPS site says it was delivered. Here's to hoping the management of my apartment complex have it in their office and it has the appropriate contents. :_sure:

Seems like USPS likes to steal car parts from girls. Assholes!

·
Premium Member
MY00 BRP GC6
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Last night I took the pistons out with the help of my friends. Might be worth it to actually buy a wrist pin pulling tool because we ended up using a really long KNITTING NEEDLE to pop them out. Turns out after market connecting rods make removing pistons more difficult. The plan was to split the block but I'm having some difficulty getting to the case bolts along side the cylinders. Gotta go buy some more extensions/sockets to have a better chance of getting in there! Will upload pictures soon.

·
Premium Member
MY00 BRP GC6
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Put in work tonight! The block is finally in half. I'm thinking I got pretty lucky as far as I can tell by eye. Rod 1 had absolutely no bearing left and it looks as if the back of the hit the case. I'm not really that worried because it's not a moving part and it hasn't really damaged the cylinder wall. Surprisingly, the rods all appear to be okay as does the crank (YAY IT'S NITRATED). I will definitely be getting a second opinion on crank and case from a machine shop to be sure I get the correct sized bearing/have the case honed if need be. I'm really excited to get this thing back together.... to put back on the stand and dress up until I get a proper drive train and turbo parts! Also I still have no idea what rods these are, if anyone can help a sister out the part number is: 6360S.

·
Premium Member
MY00 BRP GC6
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
So until I can get down to a machine shop to get all this looked at, there isn't a whole lot of progress to be made. Attempted to clean off the outside of the block to make it sparkle. Learned that engine greaser doesn't work well and I shoulda just bought a million bottles of brake clean instead!

Also did this:

Why must I have such expensive taste! Gonna try to buy all the "cheaper" items to add to the pile of parts in my garage. Transmission + exhaust will have to be bought with a loan. :_sure:

101 - 120 of 259 Posts