Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was driving home and it just 100% died on the interstate and hasn't come back to life yet.

With an older legacy I found in the J-yard, I swapped coilpack and transistor module and MAF. Still, coughs maybe every 10th revolution and no chance of starting.

I've checked fuel pump pressure, injector duty cycle with a multimeter (was a little hoaky),

Checked maf output (.5-1 volt while cranking).

Checked spark (with a timing light and manual gap tester

Now, I'm stupefied.

I pulled the codes and came up with CAS and CPS codes:
P0386 Crankshaft Position Sensor B Circuit Range/Performance
P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

but they supposedly come up from extended cranking which I've certainly been doing. I replaced them too anyway with 2.2L parts and still, nothing. I had a loose engine/starter ground while I was working on it. I'm going to try another ECU at this point thinking that the loose ground fudged something.

I can get my hands on an OBS 2.2 ECU. I'm trying to start it tonight on that. Otherwise, Looking hard for a legit 98 RS automatic ECU to throw at it.
I'm not a subaru guy so this is all a learning process for me.

Prior to this, the car ran out just fine on the top end, it's worst symptom was a real lumpy missfire at idle, fuel starvation while turning left with a low fuel level, and failing to automatically kick down into a lower gear when stabbing the throttle (half of the time, the other half it shifts correctly and usually, I can fix this by turning the key on and off while rolling fast).

I'm at al loss boys so thanks for the consideration.

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
stupid question: does the car have an alarm?

I ran in to a similar problem where everything looked to be working just fine...yet the car wouldn't start.

Turns out my alarm had died and despite the car LOOKING like it should start, it just wouldn't. Once the alarm was out of the loop, everything worked fine.

Just thougth I'd throw it out there...sometimes these things can be completely unrelated. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stupid question: does the car have an alarm?

(
Actually, I deleted the python or cobra or whatever cheap alarm I found under the column. That was a long, late night last winter. Good call. Coincidentally, I joked with my buddy recently about a wire he found under there with no apparent home. I think it was green or green/yellow. I better get checking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, spent another long night troubleshooting the 2.5. I went to grab an ECU from the yard, it was a stinking '99 with three plugs. So, troubleshot every major input/output at the ECU connector. Only one turns up suspicious:

The brown/yellow ignition output. This sort of jives with my testing with the timing light, sparks but doesn't quite spark right, and inconsistent between the two coils.

The way it pops and spits while cranking every now and then kinda has me wondering about cam timing and ignition timing but for now, I'll assume it's an electrical issue.

Nothing appeared out of the ordinary from the alarm removal job.

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
ok, you said you have a new coil pack + transistor module + maf.

excuse my ignorance, because i forget the 98...it's DOHC, and has plug wires, correct? (ie: not coil packs, one on each plug) Did you replace the plug wires? I've had my plug wires go in a really weird way, where if you turned a corner, two cylinders would die, or if you were accelerating quickly, they would die, etc.

I'm sure you've checked the wires, but I thought I'd throw this out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't looked too hard at the plug wires. But I still think It's in the ignition system. If I completely unplug the transistor module and check the ECU outputs (pins 40 & 41), I get inconsistent results from channel 1 to channel 2. With the module plugged-in during cranking, channel 1 is 2-3V and channel 2 is .2V. With a DMM on FREQ, channel 1 is 6-8Hz and channel 2 is 3mHz. Cranking voltage according to the troubleshooting literature I have should register 2V on channels 1 and 2. Something is dead here.

I'm trying like hell to find another ECU. I hear that a 2.2L ecu would start the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts