Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS Silver
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a super loud rattle coming from the back of my car, always have.. not sure where exactly, but I haven't messed with anything back there, but it's really starting to piss me off. Can't really notice it with the music up, but when its down the rattle makes me want to die. Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
65 Posts
what car u got? u might want to take a look under the back of ur car and look at the things in ur trunk and car to see whats rattling

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had that one time. It just turned out to be a battery that fell down into the sparetire hold. I was relieved when I found that out. Who in the hell knows how I got a battery back there but whatever.:D

·
Registered
502 Posts
Same problem here... endlinks weren't tightened well enough.
you can also check the tightness of the rear shocks.

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS Silver
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've checked the trunk several times... when I open and close it I can feel something rattling around in the trunk lid, but it doesn't seem like it'd be something to make such a big rattle. Never thought about endlinks, good idea! Previous owner put a new rear swaybar in so maybe he didn't tighten them enough. I'll investigate tommorow, thanks. :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
oh oh I know what it probably is! I had the same exact thing happen to me. It didn't strike me until you said it was in the trunk lid. Check your latch. I couldn't figure it out and for some reason I looked at the latch and the one bolt was backed way out. Must have been like that from the factory and I never noticed it. After I tightened it down the noises stopped.:D

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Shortly after I installed my swaybar, one of the bushings slid off the bolt. Rattled like crazy. When I figured it out it was because I forgot to push a washer on the bolt, so the bushing just slid over the bolt head.

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS Silver
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't listen to music at all today to try and listen for the rattle.. and as luck might have it, it didn't rattle at all today. :rolleyes: Garage is really wet and muddy from all the cars tracking it in, so I'll need to wait for it to dry up a bit before I go checking the endlinks. All the bolts in my trunk are fine, however. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
annoying rattle files

:mad: I've had a rattle in my 00 since I got it @ 15k miles. It sounds like it's in the driver side B or C pillar and have had it checked during 4 different dealer services and they claim it won't "reproduce" for them. I live rural and the noise seems to buzz more on "coarse" pavement than on smooth city pavement. It is frustrating so I usually just kick the tunes to drown it out. I guess I'm lucky that that has been my worst prob with the car.

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
That may be whats rattling on my Stromung. I couldnt use the 3rd hanger on my 02RS

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS Silver
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My hangers and heat shields look good. My endlinks were loose, actually.. but I only had time to take it around the block once, so I dunno if it's fixed.. but on that short trip there was no rattle. I tightened the driver side end link completely (1 nut was loose), but on the passenger side, no matter how many times I turned the nut it made no thread advances, so I couldn't really tighten it. Hmmm, we'll see..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts