Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm installing a 4-channel amp in my trunk. Where should I run my wires?

I know the main +12V power wire should run along the drivers side, but is it OK to run it near the fuel lines?

For RCA cables, should I run them in the middle or along the passengers side? Same question goes for speaker wires going to the front channel speakers, and amp turn-on wire.

Thanks for the help,
-scott-

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Run the power down the drivers side, don't worry about the fuel lines.

Run the RCA's down the passenger side.

It doesn't matter where you run the speaker wires.

Tip: Keep the ground wire from the amp less than 18" long to reduce the chance of electrical noise.

:D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So speaker wires can run right next to RCA's and that'll be OK?

Or would it be better if I ran them down the middle? Or would that be worse since they'd be closer to the power wire?

thanks,
-scott-

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Only the power wire will introduce "noise" into your RCA cables, and then only if you run them parallel - next to each other.

Speaker wires carry a much higher voltage signal, which tends to be impervious to low-level noise that alternators and such make, and hence will not affect the low-level signal of your shielded RCA cables. You can run them anywhere you want. Next to the RCA's is fine, next to the power is fine. They are not affected by much of anything, hence why speaker wires are never shielded.

I would personally run a speaker wire down each side since you're gonna have everything taken apart anyway - it's just easier than running one behind the dash or pulling your center console out, and there is no reason to do either of those options.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where's a good place for the ground wire? Can I connect it to any part of the frame (after sanding off the paint), or are there certain spots that work better than others?

I'm probably gonna go search i-club for the answer, because that's such a stupid question. But I'd like to help create a definitive thread that has answers to most amplifier-wiring related questions, so here I am, acting like a pathetic noob who can't use the search function...

-scott-

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
No worries.

Again, the ground wire should be 18" or shorter. The shorter, the better. My setup uses one of the seat belt bolts for the rear seat, but my amp is right there. Basically, either find a nice, close bolt, asnd the paint/bolt/whatever or drill a hole (not into the gas tank!!!), sand the paint, screw it down.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet. I'm putting my amp behind the rear seat, in the same place you did (although mine's not quite as huge), and that particular bolt caught my eye the other day. Now that I know it works well for you, I think that it should be fine for me too.

Thanks for all your help, James,
-scott-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts