Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
aka arangov3
Do noffin Foz
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a system in my car and i am keeping things looking as stock as possible and i don't want anything in view(as not to have anyone brake into my car). The easiest thing is to put the amps under my seat, but i rather not since they most likely will get scratched up. There old amps(1994) and i rather try to keep them looking as good as possible . I have two choices, one make a false floor in the hatch. But the down side of that is that if i get a flat it will take me a while to pull out the spare, also i feel i run the chance of somehow putting something to heavy or wet that will damage the amps. My second choice is to put it under the rear seat by digging out some of the foam and making a box to fit in there and mount the amps in the box under the seat.

Has anyone mounted amps under the rear seat? Also does the rear seat have springs inside of it? I think it does not 100% sure.

just incase anyone was wondering why i am using such old amps: they sound better to ME and they look cool they are ppi art a404.2 and a ppi art a300.2

thank you

·
aka arangov3
Do noffin Foz
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im using the rear door to place the sub in so there isnt going to be a box. also just incase i hope you box is mounted, usually you wouldn't mount an amp on a box because if the power wire comes loose it can start a fire but i'm sure you knew that just best to be safe

·
aka arangov3
Do noffin Foz
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some info that i left out
i will be using a seas tweeter in the a pillar and midrange in the front door
the rear door(s) will have a sub(s) mounted in them and the door(s) will be sealed
most likely the sub will be a hybrid audio i6sw

·
aka arangov3
Do noffin Foz
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not worried about heat theyre liquid cooled. I just don't want want to worry about it getting stolen why at class in Newark, so I just wanted to see if anyone has mounted it under the rear seat. I think I'm going to make small amp enclosures for under my seats

·
Registered
00 BE, 92 BC, 77 celica GT
2,192 Posts
im using the rear door to place the sub in so there isnt going to be a box. also just incase i hope you box is mounted, usually you wouldn't mount an amp on a box because if the power wire comes loose it can start a fire but i'm sure you knew that just best to be safe
Lol I used to install car audio for a living. I know what im doing.

They fit perfectly behind the rear seat, and cargo cover ensured that they wouldnt be seen.

Attachments

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
I had both of my ppi A600.2's mounted under the front seats (coupe) and they fit fine. You can build a couple of metal shields to go over the edge that is exposed to feet if you want. GREAT choice on amps btw, ppi made quality stuff when they were made in the US. :) I still have both of mine. I also ran my first A600 with coolant using a fuel pump and small transmission cooler, it never went into protection or limited power when running 4ohms bridged even in sweltering Louisiana weather. Lots of people were impressed at how my stuff always seemed to work. :lol:

It's not a great idea to mount the amps on the large panel of the speaker box, the vibration can sometimes break things loose from the circuit board of the amp and cause serious damage. (I too installed ((and sold)) car audio for several years). You would also need to secure the box from sliding around and stressing the wire inputs, or screw the wires into the box to secure them. Box mounting amps also makes it quicker/easier for a thief to just cut a few wires and take 75% of your system in a couple of seconds. Mounting on a box is really only convenient if you don't have any other choice and have a great security system, but I always tried to avoid that.

·
aka arangov3
Do noffin Foz
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think im gona have to do that mine are mint I also have a a1200.2 hanging on my wall lol its nice to look at its a shame I have to hide them

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Yeah, the 1200 is a beautiful sounding and looking amp. Really meant for show cars because of its size though. I owned a pc2350 and wish I had never sold it but it was huge and my car did not like carrying it around or feeding it power. :lol:

You could make the shields from plexiglas, so the people who ride with you (and will know about the amps anyway) can see the amps through the shields. I had white led panels under the seats facing down on the amps and running from the dome light, it looked amazing.

·
aka arangov3
Do noffin Foz
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i may have to steal the led idea from you its cool i had the a1200 powered up in a old civic i had to go h.o. alt and gave it its own battery

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.