Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not 100% if I put this thread in the right area. But anyways...

I bought a 1999 Subaru Legacy (XL Premium)? not to long ago and I was told that the owner before the guy I bought it from,

Put a 2.0 twin turbo boxer engine in it, but didn't finish installing it,
Completely put in a new ECU and Wiring harness for the JDM engine, but didn't finish putting the dash in, and that the wires are hooked up correctly.

Am I in over my head trying to repair it? What do you guys think?

These are all the pics I currently have.

Attachments

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
Well that's a pretty broad question that can depend on you mechanical experience and knowledge of swapped cars. If things just need to be plugged in you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well anything under the hood I have no problem with. That dash scares me though. I'm just worried if the guy didn't wire it up correctly.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,030 Posts
Im very mechanically inclined, i will never buy a car that someone "tried and didnt finish" to swap, especially a car thrown together like that where they tried to merge the harness withtout taking it out of the car.

A year down the road, when your stuck in the middle of nowhere with an electrical issue, it'll be because of that last photo.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS Sedan
643 Posts
Did it ever run? From that last picture with a bunch of plugs that aren't plugged in, I don't know how someone can say they wired it correctly and know that.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
That looks like someone elses headache that they are glad to have gone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He said it ran just fine. And that the engine, turbos, and tranny only had 56k miles on them.

·
Registered
99RS 207 V9 AW
1,285 Posts
Last picture looks like a rat's nest comes with Ibuprofen.

This is correct way for removing wire harness, then send to Iwire to merge. Unlike jungle wires in last pic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Also I will try to post pictures up during my process, if anyone would like to see how it looks once its put back together. And if it'll get put back together.

·
Registered
99RS 207 V9 AW
1,285 Posts
One way to find out his work is decent, open 1 wire to check if wires are twisted, soldered well (not cold), and heat shrink.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"The twin turbo can only be installed on right-hand drive vehicles because the turbo on the left side interferes with both the brake master cylinder and steering linkage, among other things." This is my problem. Any ideas on how to fix it? Its either a EJ20H or an EJ20R.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd really like to keep both turbos, for bragging right and whatnot. Can you elaborate more on the up-pipe? I'm a noob when it comes to foreign cars.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Well, the issue is that one of the turbos is located in the same place as the brake master cylinder and the steering shaft, right? Then your options are either move the brake master and steering shaft, AKA, RHD chassi swap, or fabricate new piping to move the turbo out of the way. The former option is known to be possible. The latter you'd have to experiment and find out.

The up-pipe is the pipe that supplies the turbo the exhaust gas, likewise down-pipe is the one that takes it away. You'd have to build a new one of each, likely, to fit the turbos in a LHD chassis.

·
Registered
2003 BRP 2.5 RS, 2005 Camo 20K
82 Posts
Last picture looks like a rat's nest comes with Ibuprofen.

This is correct way for removing wire harness, then send to Iwire to merge. Unlike jungle wires in last pic.

*wolf whistle* that looks like MY hawt mess! Yes, the best way for any merge is removing entire harness and sending to I wire and literally plugging everything back in. Its FAR less headache than trying to splice and tap with harness still in the car. Luckily, this wagon was in a roll over and hence salvage title, prompting me to strip the car down to bare shell. I will add couple pics of before and after and what harness looks like out of car. WAY easier to work with! GL bud!

·
Registered
2003 BRP 2.5 RS, 2005 Camo 20K
82 Posts
Keeping both turbos is not that hard really, all it takes is some designing of new header to up pipe. Theoretically, you can mount turbo anywhere on the car.

My all time fave twin turbo. neat, organized, beast!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How would I go about converting it from twin turbo to single? I don't have much money left to put into it and I live in North Dakota, it's pretty cold this time of year, so the closet garage I can work on it in is 40 miles away from me. And paying for gas to get there and back home is killing me.

But let me see if I get this part right. Exhaust going in to the turbo would would go to the tailpipe instead?

What would I do about the Ambient air inlet? Where I reroute that to?

And I would just block off the vacuum lines and oil lines to the turbo?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts