Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 Subaru RS 5spd
ACT clutch
STi Group N Motor and Tranny Mounts
STi Ver5 Springs and Dampers
Front (omp) and rear (STi) Strut Tower Bars
FHI 20mm rear sway bar
ISR Intake
Borla Header
Stromung cat back
Apex SAFC
J&S Knock Guard
Falken Azenis Sport tires in stock size on stock 16x7 wheels
STi Ver 4 front bumper, with light weight beam
STi Ver 6 rear spats
debadged
Morrette twin light conversion
OMP Harness belts
OMP pedals
COBB Short Shifter

Came in 3rd in STS in region last year...what are my odds like with out race tires...
:confused:
 

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
Joined
·
8,335 Posts
You might beat a few guys that didn't debadge... :biggest:

Actually, you should have all the right parts except for the race tires. Look into a timing controller or other form of ECU trickery to get more power from the midrange and possibly raise the rev limiter. Templar seems to have made a good choice with the huge swaybars, so you might look into going that route too. And don't forget about the flywheel!

The main competition is old, light, well sorted X1/9's and older 325s that can fit big rubber under an already great handling chassis.

Drop weight any way you can, get some R compounds and then look into more power.


STiShawn said:
99 Subaru RS 5spd
ACT clutch
STi Group N Motor and Tranny Mounts
STi Ver5 Springs and Dampers
Front (omp) and rear (STi) Strut Tower Bars
FHI 20mm rear sway bar
ISR Intake
Borla Header
Stromung cat back
Apex SAFC
J&S Knock Guard
Falken Azenis Sport tires in stock size on stock 16x7 wheels
STi Ver 4 front bumper, with light weight beam
STi Ver 6 rear spats
debadged
Morrette twin light conversion
OMP Harness belts
OMP pedals
COBB Short Shifter

Came in 3rd in STS in region last year...what are my odds like with out race tires...
:confused:
 

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
Joined
·
8,335 Posts
STiShawn said:
My mod money is gone for awhile...IM running as is...
With a list like that, I can see why! You'll be just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
LOL

It's not the mods, it's the driver! :lol:

But really, if you want to compete, you'll need R-compounds. Last year Gary Gaither ran DSP for contingency money at Nationals and happened to beat the only Subaru in the class - a 1.8L Brighton on Kumhos - but that's about it! :eek:

Of course, it depends on the competition. Here in KC, nobody really runs in DSP - go figure.

I'm going to run in DSP on Kumhos in Crown (local club) and STS in SCCA. I think running on R-compounds helps you undestand the limits of your car...

- Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we maybe have a max of 4 cars in DSP. We have a Fiat X1-9 that is always there and from what I understand a Fiat is THE car in DSP, we also have a Dodge Shelby, a BMW and a tricked out Isuzu...then me.
The rest of my mod money is going to repair and maintenance, new timing belt, fix driveline noise, paint new bumper,...etc. I cant buy race rubber, although I'd like too, just cant.
 

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Asp
Joined
·
152 Posts
Re: LOL

your talking about storm...your friend barely beat him. (only cuz i didn't go)

subaru's aren't really considered to be good dsp cars, but i think if you take the time to set it up right you'd have a hell of a dsp killer.

storm and i went at this year in dsp and i usually only eeked him out by a second to few tenths. he's a hell of a driver and this year he's in a setup RS so watch out for him, and give him props if you talk to him.

zzyzx said:
It's not the mods, it's the driver! :lol:

But really, if you want to compete, you'll need R-compounds. Last year Gary Gaither ran DSP for contingency money at Nationals and happened to beat the only Subaru in the class - a 1.8L Brighton on Kumhos - but that's about it! :eek:

Of course, it depends on the competition. Here in KC, nobody really runs in DSP - go figure.

I'm going to run in DSP on Kumhos in Crown (local club) and STS in SCCA. I think running on R-compounds helps you undestand the limits of your car...

- Steve
 

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Asp
Joined
·
152 Posts
STiShawn said:
I forgot my brake upgrades

Brembo slotted rotors
SS Lines
and 1 of 3 pad choices...
your gonna shit dude...cuz what class doesn't allow slotted rotors.
 

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
Joined
·
8,335 Posts
thanx for the props!

Thanks for the kind words, Ryan!

Actually, I was on Hoosiers with Intrax springs, AGX's and an alignment that let me down (search for autox alignment questions). Notable pieces missing from my car are a rear swaybar (fixed, thanks to Ryan), bigger brakes, and somewhere around 60HP & even more in torque! I had to drive my ass off to stay that close (.076sec) to GG's RS. My car was (and still is) nowhere close to the limits of the rules. This year will definately be a different story.

I'd read the rulebook on the rotors. I think I remember seeing a couple cars with slotted rotors in Topeka but I can't be positive. Nonetheless, I don't think you'll run into any trouble locally. R-compounds are really going to help you in DSP...along with zzyzx's mention of the driver part of the formula.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Hey Jay,

I was the one there with Gary went we met up with you near the gate at Nationals.

I remember you mentioning you wanted to put in a 2.5L. Did you do that yet?

As to the RS being competitive in DSP, I don't see why not. The BMW's are competitive, and we can usually beat them in STS.

Probably just some insane formula of stuffing 245 width tires in those wheel wells would do it... ;)

- Steve
 

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
Joined
·
8,335 Posts
I remember you both. At first I was a bit peeved that Gary had switched at the last minute just to swoop in on the (my) contingency money, but in hindsight, I might have done the same thing. I hope he had to pay the xtra fee to switch classes?

I haven't sourced a 'reasonable' 2.5 motor yet. Finances have been a bit tight for me. I'll be co-driving Priebe's former STS-winning car with race tires, coilovers, and further tuning. (Brian was still running his pig-rich) A flywheel and clutch may be in place by Topeka as well. I see "no problem" jumping up in the DSP standings this year.

The BMW's can fit a whole lot more tire under the car, have more torque, and the suspension geometry to put it to the ground. They can also be homologated to IT specs, allowing them to get super light, effectively cancelling any advantage we have with AWD. Another big advantage is the decade(s) of development they already have compared to an Impreza. My 'L' is lighter than an RS to start, and I can go further yet add the 2.5 and stay in DSP. Same way an RS owner could strip their car and make it an 'L' except for the motor/trans. Gotta love that wording..."Impreza- AWD- NOC". Also the beloved "update/backdate" rule.


zzyzx said:
Hey Jay,

I was the one there with Gary went we met up with you near the gate at Nationals.

I remember you mentioning you wanted to put in a 2.5L. Did you do that yet?

As to the RS being competitive in DSP, I don't see why not. The BMW's are competitive, and we can usually beat them in STS.

Probably just some insane formula of stuffing 245 width tires in those wheel wells would do it... ;)

- Steve
 

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
Joined
·
8,335 Posts
Congrats, man. Watch out for the X1/9's with TWM induction, MoTec ignition and 13x9 Hoosiers!

What other tires have you run on? Are those Azenis really that good? What was your competition on?

STiShawn said:
looks like Im gonna be kicking ass in DSP..beat the class on Azenis!..man do I love those tires.
 

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
Joined
·
8,335 Posts
I knew the Azenis was great for STS, but I'm not sure it can hang with a true R compound tire. If you can drive it 10/10ths... you might slip by a slacking driver on R's, plus the results are that much sweeter for you when you're on "street" rubber.

STiShawn said:
Competition was on Hoosiers primarily...the DSP Fiat from last year didnt show up. The Azenis were the top tire in STS by a heady margin as well. It was a rather cool day so I had the advantage, we'll see if I can keep it as it gets warmer...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,614 Posts
well, it was verycold at the event, and let me tell you, the R's were not doing a whole lot except sliding. the true test of the azenias will be in the summer heat, when the R's have full, glorious, grip. oh, and when the fiat shows up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,614 Posts
Jeff, I have Azenis, not flowers on my car
give me a break you damn hippie.

you may have hp, but the fiat has the huge weight advantage.

just beat bill and i won't laugh at you anymore than usual.

maybe i should run DSP too, so i have a chance at a class win. grrrr, why did grainger and wise have to come back to GS. i finished 5th or 6th on index, and fourth in class :rolleyes: :curse: :boxer:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top