Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
1998, RS, Rally Blue 2.0 EJ20K
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Pulled the timing cover off tonight to change the timing belt of course. Started on inspecting the pulley's/tensioners to make sure none of the bearings are bad.
Have not found a problem on any of those yet. Have noticed this engine is pretty clean for the most part. Just dusty.

Installed the newly resurfaced fly wheel.

Took my old rs power steering lines and bent them into place. Could use a new tube that connects to the pump. But figured I used an old one to just mock it up to make sure I had clearance.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Got the flywheel installed and the new clutch installed.

Just need to finish wrapping the headers and the engine can go in.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Transmission is bolted in, axle is bolted in, and attempted to drop the motor in but sadly it was 1/2 an inch from being together with the transmission. No matter what we did to wiggle that s***** in it just wouldn't budge. Not sure what is causing the issue for the two not to mate up.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Today was a good day

Now to hook up all the electrical, radiator, fluids all around and start her up!. At least I can push the car into the garage now where it is warmer

·
Registered
99 RS STM
82 Posts
Awesome write up!
You have a great detailed journal going!
I just realized you're from madison and I've been visiting quite often, maybe you'll see me the next time I'm in town, I drive a 99' silver RS with MN plates ;)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Almost ready to fire her up for the first time. To do list includes

Replace the fuel pump and drain the tank.
coolant lines
vacuum lines
Few more electrical connections "includeds tucking them in neatly"
Rear diff, trans, and engine oil
Radiator fluid
brake fluid - for the clutch

Quite a few things left to do but I think it is possible to fire her up this week! Getting excited.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
so anyone have any ideas on why my throttle cable won't reach? do I need to flip my throttle body so it is on the left hand side of the vehicle?

·
Registered
99 Subaru 2.5 RS Black
610 Posts
so anyone have any ideas on why my throttle cable won't reach? do I need to flip my throttle body so it is on the left hand side of the vehicle?
For usdm wrx swaps i know a lot of people run a 98 rs throttle cable because it is longer. Not sure if the k swap has the same issue, i have a brand new one if you want it $20 plus shipping. bought it for my swap but ended up finding out my throttle cable was already a 98 rs one.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
my car is a 98rs :D so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Do I need to change out my radiator to a 02 wrx model? Im finding 2 coolant lines that I think go to the radiator but my radiator doesn't have the connections to support it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

Trying to figure out these 2 lines under the intake. They didn't effect the engine starting or idling at all. Are they for the upper coolant reservoir? I'm really not sure what they are for.

·
Registered
Y2K GM6 & 65 'Stang Fastback
816 Posts
Because the coolant needs to be able to flow back and forth freely the cap will restrict it. The JDM radiator doesn't have a cap. Nice swap by the way! I'm glad I don't live in your neck of the woods...rust scares me!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thanks guys. This solves that issue. Now I can run the car. Now to drive it I need to fix my throttle cable issue. Will a 02 throttle cable do the trick? If i use the one i have the throttle will be held open about half way.

41 - 60 of 453 Posts