Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Now I'm definitely suscribing to your thread ! I'm going to take notes for my own RSTi project, which I'll try to start after school is done :projectsti.com:

·
Registered
1998, RS, Rally Blue 2.0 EJ20K
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok so I had someone come over tonight ot help out with some wiring. Will take some updated pictures tomorrow. One big thing that we found was I don't have a vf39 on my engine. Turns out it has a vf22. Not sure how i read that incorrectly the first time through. Should be interesting if I can get this car together.

Ran into an issue. Power steering lines were cut on the ej20k. Not on the hardline but after that. Can I still use my stock lines?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Got the crossmember out and the power steering out. Discovered a torn boot on the passenger side. I guess I should replace that as well?? I never noticed anything wrong with it but a torn boot is never good. I also busted 3 out of 4 bolts that hold it in place. Was going slow, using a torch and pb blaster but it still broke.

Ready for the new cross member

different angles

New cross member in

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
small update

Installed a 22mm adjustable rear sway bar. Broke a bolt on the left and will have to drill that out.

old vs new

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
quick update.. Finished the electrical wiring for the most part. Need to get the car started first then I will button everything up. (need access to ecu to prime engine, etc, etc)

Crossmember installed with power steering. Just need to connect the power steering lines.

From the bottom.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
front sway bar is 22mm same as the rear. I wanted the same front and back. hehe from a computer back ground FSB = front side bus to me threw me off for a second

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
started working on the ej20k tonight and can't get the transmission to pull off the engine. Thinking I need to get another set of hands to help out. I tried to lift the engine with the cherry picker and pull on the transmisison but that didn't do much. Can't seem to get it to separate enough to put a pry bar in there. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Finally got some help pulling the transmission off. Looks like we forgot about the clutch fork pin. We screwed the clutch so i'm ordering a new one of those. (any suggestions or just go OEM) Lightened flywheel while i'm at it?

Ended up pulling the clutch and fly wheel off to check the rear seal. All checked out! Transmission shaft has no wear and also looks fantastic. Going to mount up the transmission this week and put the drive shaft back in. Once I get the power steering pump and clutch swapped I can lower the engine in! Coming together!!! Getting real excited.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Had to order a bunch of parts but go my oil separator plate updated to the latest and greatest.

Next up rewrap the headers, power steering, and timing belt.

:banana:

·
Vendor
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Had some time today to start working on the wiring harness.

The right side is basically done as far as the main wires and connectors go

I'm scratching my head about these connectors. Can't quite pinpoint where they went. Might be jdm plugs only.

and this black plug

Mocked up the drivers side

Just layed the wires into their respective areas on the outside

Noticed that my engine plugs had REALLY long wires (note i'm about 3-4ft away from the car when taking the picture)

Next time around I should have the rest of the wiring done. I didn't have much time today to finish! Progress is progress though.:burnout:
Black plug will go to the ilumination control box and the 2 pin white will go to the bottom of the blower box.

The wires seem long, but when you run them across the firewall and down on the driver's side to the frame rail by the fusebox there will only be a little bit of excess. ;)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Black plug will go to the ilumination control box and the 2 pin white will go to the bottom of the blower box.

The wires seem long, but when you run them across the firewall and down on the driver's side to the frame rail by the fusebox there will only be a little bit of excess. ;)
Yep I figured out where they all go. As you can see in the thread i'm getting closer each day to dropping in that pesky engine. Got a few wrench days planned out this week. Hoping to have the engine all prepped. Just need some time in my busy schedule to finish it all up. Getting close to the big day though!

·
Vendor
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Yep I figured out where they all go. As you can see in the thread i'm getting closer each day to dropping in that pesky engine. Got a few wrench days planned out this week. Hoping to have the engine all prepped. Just need some time in my busy schedule to finish it all up. Getting close to the big day though!

Also notice the grommet has the cut on the top, make sure it's facing down so the harness is going up toward the windshield first then it splits when it hits the brake lines. :)

Sounds great! Let me know if you have any questions!

21 - 40 of 453 Posts