Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 457 Posts

·
Registered
1998, RS, Rally Blue 2.0 EJ20K
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hey guys, figured I would post up some pictures of my swap as i'm coming to the turning point where I start putting it all back together again.

I should have been logging everything in order as I went but here is a photo dump to browse through

Exterior looks - This is how the car looks when I picked it up.

Photo Album - Imgur

Interior/engine/overall work being done (sorry if it is out of order)

Photo Album - Imgur

sold off the ej25d, transmission, headers, rear diff. Putting in ej20k motor with transmission 4.44 gear ratio.

Axles needed some work done so I removed those and going to have them rebuilt.

Going to go with the obx lsd upfront with the rebuild kit with the proper washers.

As of right now i'm working on ripping the wiring harness out. Kind of a pain but not as bad as I thought it would be. Going to send my harness to iwire. Basically everything is ready to be reassembled. Waiting on a 02 wrx crossmember which I believe I will need some washers to get it to fit properly. Going to get new sway bars. Last but not least new hardware to replace the rusted monsters I pulled off the car.

I will start posting more up to date photos after this post as this was just a way I could organize real quick the status of my build.

If anyone knows where to get head gaskets for ej20k please let me know. I also want to do the timing belt. I'm tempted to just get the car to simply run first then worry about the timing and head gaskets once i confirm the engine is good.

More to come !

current picture -

Current setup:
GTX3576r externally gates
ej20 closed deck stroked to 2.15
ej257 79mm sti crank
manley h tuff rods with arp625 bolts
manley 8.5 comp. 92.5mm stroker pistons with upgraded wrist pins for the 79mm crank -
Rogerclark motorsports 1.1mm headgaskets
king main bearing -
king rod bearings -
arp 625 Head studs

V4 ej20k heads - all work done by head games motorworks.
jun272 cams
Pocket port
angle valve job
GSC valves
Shimless buckets
KVS97 - kelford retainers with 87Lb spring seat pressure

walbro 450
ID1700 - top feed with parallel feed setup.

44mm Tial wastegate
Grimmspeed Electronic and manual boost controller
Haltech stand alone

Attachments

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
your should zip lock bag all your bolts as it will make life so easy when u need to re assemble. 2 years later i know where most of my bolts go without the heache

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your should zip lock bag all your bolts as it will make life so easy when u need to re assemble. 2 years later i know where most of my bolts go without the heache
I did that with the exterior. The interior I just couldn't see using that many ziplocks :(

The crossmember came in today! 2002 wrx. These require a few washers to mount up correctly right?

It just wanted to jump right in there

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Cross member I think lines up and bolts right in but if your using rs control arms vs wrx control arms then you need the washers to shim them properly.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had all 4 of my axles rebuilt. Just got them today. Now I can put the rear end together while I wait for Iwire.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
decided to clean up the rear diff before installing it.

before

after

Should i paint it? or just clean it and leave it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
decided to clean up the rear diff before installing it.

before

after

Should i paint it? or just clean it and leave it?
Nice job so far! and I would at least prime that with Rustoleum. They make a special primer for rusty metal. Maybe that and then a coat of black.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
paint it without a doubt... taking the rust off would of been better tehen leaving it exposed.

I used bedliner on mine.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So just wanted to talk about the ej20k I got. Came with a vf39 and wrapped headers. Is this normal? Should I worry that this engine was raced pretty hard?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quick question, why do you guys send your harnesses to iWire? To splice them together ?

AND good job on the differential clean up !

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick question, why do you guys send your harnesses to iWire? To splice them together ?

AND good job on the differential clean up !
He does excellent work and it allows me to not worry about wiring and focus on other things. I know that is vague but that is just how I am. If i was doing usdm to usdm swap I would have tried it on my own. but i'm going usdm to jdm and frankly looking at the wiring diagrams I had .. screw it. Give it to someone that is trusted in the business. One less headache.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
^^^pretty much hit the nail on the head. if you have never looked at a sheet of pinouts, wiring diagrams and tried to merge 2 harness' together you shouldnt try it unless under the supervision of a personal. its a tidious process and does take time. iwires prices are good and like it was said above.... you can concentrate elseware in the mean time.

for your ej20k do a leakdown test on the cylinders before putting in the car and that will be a tell tail sign if somethings severely wrong or not...... the only 100% way to ensure the engines survival is to tear it down and go through it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was wondering if it was for merging or another purpose, never been too much of a wiring guy either so the idea of sending the harness just makes sense. Thanks for the answer !

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had some time today to start working on the wiring harness.

The right side is basically done as far as the main wires and connectors go

I'm scratching my head about these connectors. Can't quite pinpoint where they went. Might be jdm plugs only.

and this black plug

Mocked up the drivers side

Just layed the wires into their respective areas on the outside

Noticed that my engine plugs had REALLY long wires (note i'm about 3-4ft away from the car when taking the picture)

Next time around I should have the rest of the wiring done. I didn't have much time today to finish! Progress is progress though.:burnout:

1 - 20 of 457 Posts