Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am at the point where i need to take the cam gears off of my engine (ej255, 06 wrx, dohc) and I dont really want to fork out the 100 dollars + shipping for tools i will only use once.

does anyone know an alternative (and non destructive) route to removing cam gears?

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts
either an impact or a strap wrench.

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
Cobb sells the cam sprocket tool for $50. tools are your friends ;)

a buddy of mine welded a crowbar to the cam sprocket bolt. it worked

·
Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how does that work? the gear would still spin though. ive read about people doing that but i dont understand how that would do anything

ive been looking at the cobb tools, its just that i would have to buy 2 different ones because the upper and lower cam gears are different

·
Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok cool, ill go and pick up one of those strap wrenches and a bit for our impact gun tomorrow, that sounds pretty good to me. don't really like that chain one though, looks like it would beat up the teeth pretty easy

thanks for that too, that should be a major money saver!

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts
just make sure you get one with a quality strap, some of the lightweight rubber ones are kind of weak.

·
Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ill go to sears and get a craftsman or something of name brand, thats a good idea, breaking tools is no fun - even with a lifetime warranty :)

·
Registered
35r RSTi
124 Posts
i lucked out that one of i-club members here in hawaii had a wrx speific cam gear wrench. i cant even imagine not having it........good luck

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
use the old timing belt, wrap it around the sprocket and crank sprocket and Gera pair of vice grips to clamp it down tight. Make sure the fly wheel doesn't spin and just get a big freaking breaker bar. Done.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
When I do this (soonish) I'm probably going to just take my heads over to the dealer and have them take the gears off with the right tool. They've done work like this for me before for free or cheap.

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
Whatever you do don't use a cheap allen. It will break or strip out the bolt. Get a quality impact allen in 1/2 and then impact that bad boy off of there.

·
Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok cool so the impact driver with strap wrench didnt work and neither did the breaker bar. the strap wrench didnt hold the cam well enough for the breaker bar and it vibrated too much for the impact driver to do much of anything.

so I'm back where i started, what else should i try?

·
Registered
94L
2,782 Posts
Damn thats some bolts u got there!
I used and Impact gun today to remove mine, worked perfect...

·
2 > 1
96 GM8 & 93 GF2
827 Posts
I took an adjustable wrench and put it on the part of the cam that was able to fit on it then got my dad to take the breaker bar to the actual bolt and they came..

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts
Seriously dude, pick up a cheap electric impact gun. I think I paid $50 for mine and I just removed two cam gears an hour ago without any trouble.

·
Premium Member
00 2.5RS Coupe, Ducati Monster
2,098 Posts
ok cool, ill go and pick up one of those strap wrenches and a bit for our impact gun tomorrow, that sounds pretty good to me. don't really like that chain one though, looks like it would beat up the teeth pretty easy

thanks for that too, that should be a major money saver!

Also use a blow torch to heat up that bolt and spay some PB Plaster around the bolt. Then go to town.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts