Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started the car today after only letting it sit overnight, and when the motor started the idle was quite high and fluctuating between 1100rpms-and 1500rpms. Then when I went to drive the car sounded like it was about to stall (the broken up rumble was at a very low frequency, if you know what I mean). And of course, while this was happening the car was hesitating like no other. It went away after about 3 minutes once the car warmed up a bit, but that's never happened before and it got me really worried. I know that I need a timing belt/water pump/oil seal very soon because I'm at 101xxx right now, but I don't see a connection. What's happening!??!?!

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
I started the car today after only letting it sit overnight, and when the motor started the idle was quite high and fluctuating between 1100rpms-and 1500rpms. Then when I went to drive the car sounded like it was about to stall (the broken up rumble was at a very low frequency, if you know what I mean). And of course, while this was happening the car was hesitating like no other. It went away after about 3 minutes once the car warmed up a bit
Our cars occasionally don't start well in cold weather. Did you get the 2000 grind cams in yet? Timing belt and the other things wouldn't have much to do with it. It sounds like air/fuel/spark. Start with the basics. When was the last tune-up? Any CEL? How old are the:

Plugs
Wires
Fuel filter
Air filter
Coil pack
Front o2
PCV

Did you check your oil and coolant levels? Any smells or smoke?

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
no smells, no smoke, and oil and coolant are fine. I didn't get the cams in yet (got my fingers crossed on getting them in over my next break) and the only CEL I have is good old P0420. Coil pack I cleaned back in July after you made me check it :)lol:), but I'm gonna go check it again in a sec. Air filter was cleaned in late August, fuel filter and front O2 are unknown and I'm gonna check my plugs when I go outside.

I don't know what the normal symptoms are, but could it be the fuel pump? It seems logical, because the extreme hesitation seems like fuel starvation or something, but then again, this only happens on a cold start and for a few minutes until the car gets warm.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Fuel pumps don't usually go out on Subaru's. The only time when they're replaced is for turbo applications. I've only heard of a fuel pump failing on a couple of Subaru's, and they were way past 101k miles.

Is this the first and only time it happened?

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuel pumps don't usually go out on Subaru's. The only time when they're replaced is for turbo applications. I've only heard of a fuel pump failing on a couple of Subaru's, and they were way past 101k miles.

Is this the first and only time it happened?
First time it happened was 2 weeks ago, and it happened again today

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5 RS
39 Posts
Mine is having the same issue but I am due for air and plug checks. My fuel filter is less than a year old...maybe 20k on it. Did you solve the issue? If so what was it?

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea I fixed it, it turned out to be a combination of bad battery connection (uber corrosion) and spark plugs with more carbon build-up than I've ever seen.

·
Reformed Ricer
07 STI, 07 STI, 10 Forester, 03 WRX
4,575 Posts
i know from personal experience how dumb i feel after i freak like that and it turns out to be something as simple as popping the hood and going "...oh."

lol glad you fixed the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts