Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm starting to plan my build for a few years down the road. Has anyone here done all carbon body panels for their coupe and weighed it? I know that just doing carbon doors, roof, fenders, trunk, and hood should be good for about 200lbs. Assuming a few pounds extra for the basic reinforcement for safety, what could I expect from a swapped car running as much carbon/fiberglass/weight reduction pieces as possible?

My goal is basically Miata weight with STI power and grip. Is this doable? Or am I barking up the wrong tree if I'm looking for a light car?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
734 Posts
Well the coupe is your best bet for a semi modern Subaru, of course the older Subarus get stupid light, but they don't have the power train you want. My 95 L coupe started life at 2605lbs, probably just under that with a carbon fiber hood and some other minor weight reduction, then the added weight from the 6 cylinder.

Looks like the old Miatas weighed around 2100lbs, I'd say that is doable with extreme weight reduction. Like you said, make everything carbon fiber that you can't kick to the curb.

There's JDM bumper beams, they're like a strip of foil compared to the USDM ones, also USDM doors have extra supports in them. Hit up Google with 'gc weight reduction' there are lots of threads on it.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
734 Posts
Just for grins, any mid-70's Subaru will weigh about the same as the Miata, and if you could find a 360 that's UNDER A THOUSAND POUNDS!
There was a dope rally edition 360 on CL recently, I think they wanted $10k or so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the coupe is your best bet for a semi modern Subaru, of course the older Subarus get stupid light, but they don't have the power train you want. My 95 L coupe started life at 2605lbs, probably just under that with a carbon fiber hood and some other minor weight reduction, then the added weight from the 6 cylinder.

Looks like the old Miatas weighed around 2100lbs, I'd say that is doable with extreme weight reduction. Like you said, make everything carbon fiber that you can't kick to the curb.

There's JDM bumper beams, they're like a strip of foil compared to the USDM ones, also USDM doors have extra supports in them. Hit up Google with 'gc weight reduction' there are lots of threads on it.
I want to go for a more modern engine, I was thinking even FA swap. I am not crazy enough to believe I'm getting a sub-2000lb car, but I don't think 2500lbs is that unreasonable with a 6 speed, FA/EJ, an all the carbon goodies. I'll probably be going front mount, so a tubular bumper bar and all the other associated parts should help, as well.

·
Registered
2000 OBSTi
503 Posts
This is your guy:

Check out the updates on his personal car.

·
EZ GF w/Curves!
97'OBS/94'SVX LSi/00'OBS/01&#8
8,804 Posts
This is your guy:

Check out the updates on his personal car.
^This. Of note. His car is all pretty much custom. Some panels are by Aero-Sim Research but the rest he’s made himself.

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,297 Posts
I made my coupe all carbon fiber. I did the cheap/easy method as it's just racecar and it is GUTTED. Not a single wire I don't need in there. My carbon fiber was a wet layup and not vaccuum bagged or anything so it could be a tad lighter.

Carbon fiber:
Roof
Hood
Trunk
Doors (only driver door opens on a gutted stock frame, the passenger door is attached with quick latches)
Rear side windows

Also the front and rear windows are lexan. No wipers

It was 2260 on an accurate scale with a full tank of gas. It is even lighter now, probably about 2200. This is with a cage and heavy rotors and Caddy Brembos on 255 wide tires.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
734 Posts
This is with a cage and heavy rotors and Caddy Brembos on 255 wide tires.
LOVE the Caddy Brembos. Any idea on the weight of the cage, is it significant or is it like 40lbs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts