Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Turbos tuff, what's hp/tq goals, and any planned sports with car?

Bearings std mains/extra clearance rods
JDM 12mm oil pump maybe, that an double cross drilled crank should take care of oiling. Man I'd love one of those spec c ra coolers.

Could go way cool and play with the 83mm crank or the 65.8 crank maybe, like +6 rods. ?
I think I'd be happy with 400-450whp, although I know the 207 could take more. I kinda just want to open up options later on, so I would rather not go the typical Blouch TS stock location route and then have to change it again.

Probably the occasional HPDE event and autox (although i know any larger than GTX 3071r wouldn't be very competitive), mostly a quick car to just drive to be honest, as the white coupe will be more oriented towards track focused events.

Thank you for the tips on the bearings as well, I am in the planning stages and am waiting for the funds to catch up to my spreadsheet :mamoru:

83mm would be wild, however I haven't even heard of a 65.8mm? That sounds very interesting, all the stroke!

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
We did just pick up an account/contract with Sunoco fuels at my shop, so we can get Methanol, E85, E85R, C16.

Also just acquired a Nitrous fill station, so let the fun begin!

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
1,083 Posts
We did just pick up an account/contract with Sunoco fuels at my shop, so we can get Methanol, E85, E85R, C16.

Also just acquired a Nitrous fill station, so let the fun begin!

Well shit, that changes everything.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well shit, that changes everything.
HAHA 100 shot everywhere...all the boost

But I think I'd keep it pretty mild with only E85 or E85R.

AAAANNNNDDDD more and more Gate gas stations are popping up around town with E85 so I'm pretty stoked! :bump::bump:

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I don't really want to put a power goal on it though, more going for how I'd like it to drive.

I don't really prefer a turbo that spools right away, as I find it annoying to be constantly in boost, I really don't mind waiting for boost as long as my powerband isn't only 2,000rpm, hence the goal to extend the rev range of the car.

What the power ends up being is what it'll be, especially since that can vary based off of different factors.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
So while cruising, the car developed a sound. A bad sound lol

Sounds like rod knock, but the motor is not the culprit, it's in the bellhousing.

I don't have the time to put the car on one of my lifts at the shop yet, but when i press the clutch in, the sound goes away.

Guessing a flywheel bolt backed out or the flywheel cracked, so i promptly shut the car off when I got home, luckily I was close to home when the sound started so that I didn't have to drive on it too much.

On top of that, I don't believe that the car is fully RA swapped as I was told when I acquired the car, the sticker on the bellhousing matches a Ver 4 STi 4.44FD 5spd. HOWEVER it does have a DCCD C.Diff so my thought is that the tailshaft was swapped with a DCCD unit and wired up, that does lead me to believe that my gears are not RA gears and my front diff is definitely an open differential.

ALSO however, I do have a 4.44 R180 rear diff, so I do believe some parts were sourced from an RA.

The video of the noise is uploading now so I will post it up when it's available

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That being said, I know the logical solution is find what is wrong and replace, pending no additional damage, but I do have the 2005 STi swap in my white RSTi so that leads me to ask...

1)fix what's wrong?
2)yank the 6speed swap out of my white coupe and 6speed the GC8? I will gain weight, known good condition DCCD components, Helical Front Diff, and a strong a$$ trans?

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Used a stethoscope and drained the fluid too, center differential is no longer..

6 speed swapping the car this week

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It's been a while, but the 6 speed swap went well, turns out the factory DCCD controls from the 5spd setup work just fine with the 6speed center diff so I now have DCCD back.

Long term plan is to start saving for a twincroll setup, I already have the JDM TS manifold.

I'll have to fabricate the uppipe so that the downpipe will clear the brake master, clutch master, and steering column, while also keeping the turbo angle proper AND squeezing two wastegates in there.

The goal is Garretts twinscroll vband exhaust housing .82a/r on a Garrett Gen 2 GTX3071r and an air-to-water intercooler in the topmount location using a Garrett core rated for 750hp.

Put the electronic water pump in the intercooler water spray tank location behind the driver side headlight and have the water reservoir in the battery location behind the passenger side headlight.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Also dropped an EJ20X into the silver coupe, now i just need an entire drivetrain and interior.

And picked up an EZ30r for the white coupe.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
ez30 + turbo = big win!!
They can sound soooooo cool.
Yes sir!

The plan is either:

Twin GTX3071r

or

Twin GTX3576r

Outfront does closed deck on the EZ and more parts are being developed as well, and some possible combinations of cranks and rods etc to make a 3.2L out of it.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wow, it's been over a year now, as i forgot my password to login and the website wasn't successfully sending me the email for the reset.

Plans have changed as they usually do...

I sold the white coupe, as I wanted to focus on the RHD and the Silver 2.5rs.

1999 Version 6 STi

6spd swap is still in the GC8, however the factory EJ207 finally bit the dust around March 2020. Picked up a Darton sleeved 2.1L stroker shortblock from a friend selling it with no miles on the motor, and had started to order the parts for the STi swap on the silver RSTi.

Specs on the Shortblock:
79mm OEM STi crank
Manley Turbo Tuff I-Beam rods
ACL Race main and rod bearings
Manley 92mm stroker pistons with Swaintech PC9 coating on the skirts and Gold coat on the heads
92mm bore x 79mm stroke
9.5:1 compression ratio

Since the motor failing was rather unexpected, or at least not in a timeframe that was convenient, I put the sleeved motor in the GC8 with the stock heads. I originally planned to build the heads and do my turbo setup at the time of installing the stroker motor, so as of now I have a massively overbuilt SB for the setup that it has.

Ordered an Exedy Hyper Organic Twin Disc clutch kit and Roger Clark timing kit for the planned daily driver RSTi, but ended up using them on the GC8 instead, along with the Fluiddampr balancer.

Ordered the Haltech wiring harness and Multi-function CAN gauge for the Elite 2500 to put in there as well, and I still have to order the air intake temp sensor bung, then it is time to start installing and tuning the Haltech on the GC8. Pics to follow...

1999 2.5RS "RSTi"

As stated, I planned on using the Twin disc, RCM timing kit, and Fluiddampr on the RSTi for my daily but snagged them for the GC8.

I also sold the EJ20x to a friend, and opted for the following setup

Main Drivetrain/Powertrain Components:
Version 8 EJ207
Version 8 6spd swap w/ Brembos
Version 8 STi Seats
5x114.3 conversion using 2005 STi parts

Add-Ons Bought:
TSSFAB transmission crossmember
TSSFAB front subframe
2015 STi steering rack
Beatrush solid driveshaft bushing inserts
Mooresport 2015 Sti steering rack -AN adapter
Mooresport power steering pump outlet -AN adapter
Moore Performance Tru-Divorce downpipe and getting it Swaintech coated
Racecomp Engineering Tarmac 2 coilovers
Whiteline Anti-Lift kit
Whiteline Roll center correction

Pics to follow..

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Apparently the post I made before the pics is awaiting moderator approval, so hopefully that gets approved soon so the pictures make some sort of sense

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
1,083 Posts
Soooooo much badass!!

Is that for power steering cooler? I'd love to see a good write up on that when you get there.

Keep up the good work

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Soooooo much badass!!

Is that for power steering cooler? I'd love to see a good write up on that when you get there.

Keep up the good work
i think original thought process was to just eliminate the hard lines and the OEM rubber lines, but since it converts everything to -AN, I should put a cooler inline within the system.

I actually didn't think of that at all, so thank you very much!!!!

Oh, also the original post before the pictures is now up and running so the pics should have some context now

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
607 Posts
That setup with cooler I'm interested in too.

Awesome progress, hope it continues!

-TC

21 - 40 of 53 Posts