Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I figured it would be a good time to create a members journal.

As the title says, I currently own two '00 USDM 2.5RS mostly turned into RSTi coupes. I say mostly because one is fully 2005 STi swapped and the other one I bought from my business partner AFTER the S201 5spd DCCD and drivetrain was yanked out of it for a customer's swap so it was once a running RSTi (still has the DCCDPro wired in).

The third GC that I have is a Version 6 STi with a Version 5 STi RA full swap (EJ207, 5speed DCCD, R180 etc...)

Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
For now, this journal probably will focus more on the Ver 6.

I don't really want to do too much to the GC8 other than work on heat management, so I'm going to fabricate am air-water setup while trying to squeeze the heat exchanger in the front without losing A/C or cutting the OEM Sports Bumper.

1999 Ver 6 STi
Full Ver 5 STi RA swap (drivetrain and motor)
4.44 DCCD Non-ABS
Everything done by previous owner

ENGINE:

Ver 5 STi RA EJ207 Non-AVCS Big Port Heads
Unknown brand TMIC
Magnecore Wires
Apexi Panel Filter
VF39
Zero Sports Intake
Zero Sports Radiator Shroud
RallyTech Alternator Cover
Grimmspeed Downpipe
Custom Aluminum Exhaust

TRANSMISSION/DRIVELINE:

4.44 FD DCCD (Blown center Diff)
R180
Now is 2005 STi 6spd swapped

INTERIOR:

Defi HUD
Defi Link System
Defi Boost Gauge
Defi EGT Gauge
Bride Shift Boot
ARC Shift Knob

EXTERIOR:

CF V6 wing
JDM Crystal Headlights
JDM Aeroguards

SUSPENSION:

BC Racing BR Coilovers

BRAKES:

4/2 Pots
Stoptech Pads
Stoptech Front Rotors

WHEELS:

AVID.1 17x8
215/45 Cooper RS3

White 2.5RS
Full 2005 STi Swap

ENGINE:
EJ257
VF48
Unknown FMIC
Tial Q BOV
Unknown DP
Catless OEM UP
Cobb 3" Turboback

TRANSMISSION/DRIVELINE:

USDM STi 6SPD
Motul Gear300 (Trans/Diff)

INTERIOR:

Bride Low Max Seats Front
OEM GD STi seats Rear
Mostly Gutted Interior
No Heater Core
No A/C
No Radio
No Speakers

EXTERIOR:

RB5(?) Replica Wing
ABW 40mm Recessed Flares
JDM Tail Lights
Smoked Corner Lights

SUSPENSION:

Fortune Auto 510 GD Fitment Coilovers
Cusco H-Brace
TiC Fender Braces
JDM Carbon Strut Brace

BRAKES:

Unknown Drilled Rotors
HAWK HPS Pads

WHEELS:

JNC 17x10" +20
TOYO Proxies R1R 275/40r17

Silver 2.5RS
Once was running, drivetrain was sold to a customer in need

I'll describe how it WAS setup

ENGINE:

JDM EJ205
The rest of the history is unknown

TRANSMISSION/DRIVELINE:

S201 5SPD DCCD
DCCDPro Controller
Driveshaft Shop Carbon Driveshaft
Moore Blast Plates

INTERIOR:

Unknown previous condition (mostly stripped out now)

EXTERIOR:

Genuine V6 Grill with Genuine 22b Front Pink Badge
Bakemono Replica V6 Wing

SUSPENSION:

Megan Racing Coilovers (GD Fitment i think)

BRAKES:

Stock

WHEELS:

Prodrive Wheels

Plans for both 2.5RS

White will be swapped to an EZ30R Closed Deck twin turbo, already have the Haltech Elite 2500.

Silver will try and stay as OEM as posible with a Ver 9 Spec C swap.

·
Registered
2000 BRP 2.5RS Coupe
37 Posts
Wow that's awesome. I can't wait to see more pictures of the other GC8s! Nice AE86 in the background as well!

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow that's awesome. I can't wait to see more pictures of the other GC8s! Nice AE86 in the background as well!
Thank you sir, I uploaded some more pictures of the other ones.

I feel like I could get a little more knowledgeable on how to embed images though, took me quite a few tries!

The AE86 in the backround is a customer's car that we are pretty much doing a ground-up build from brakes, suspension, and engine.

it's a RHD as well (;

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Started to take the car out to nice midnight cruises.

Currently tossing around the idea of trading trunks with someone with a 2.5rs coupe spoiler, any input of opinions are more than welcome!

I just figure that since the car has a Version 5 STi RA swap, the mid level spoiler could be fitting, since they came with those spoilers fitted.

^^This is the car that got the S201 transmission with the blast plates and carbon driveshaft out of my Silver coupe, he loves the 4.44 gears for autocross

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been seeing quite some RHD cars at my shop lately as well, or at the night meets.

Friend's S15 Silvia

My friend's Galant VR-4

Skyline GTS-4

Silvia S13

Skyline R32 GT-R

Nissan Cifero

Toyota Chaser(?) MK2

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I apologize for the massive photodump, I get pretty busy and I also forgot my password and the site wasn't successfully sending me the email to reset it.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So besides wanting some input on the potential trunk swap, I would be open to suggestions on a future turbo setup.

I am planning on getting the OEM twinscroll manifold and making the uppipe at my shop, as I've heard that the biggest restriction is in the UP rather than the manifold itself.

That opens up many opportunities to make the turbo setup as I see fit, rather than be confined to what is currently available on the market, especially since the focus seems to understandably be on LHD fitment.

I'm thinking of:

1) Gen2 GTX3071r
2) Gen2 GTX3076r
3) Gen2 GTX3576r
4) Gen1 GTX3067r
5) EFR7163

The Garrett options will be .84a/r twinscroll either T3/T4/or the V-Band Twinscroll, the Borg Warner I think comes in .94a/r T4

As odd as it sounds, I don't have a horsepower goal, just kind of want a turbo that can continue to breathe up top, unlike the current VF39 that is on the car now.

I also don't need insta-spool but also don't want the car to be a complete dog to drive, eventually I will convert to shimless buckets, add some cams, etc...

I'm going to use my Haltech Elite 2500 for this car for engine management.

I know there are other aspects that I haven't listed, but they all will be taken care of.

The engine is the EJ207, big port heads, non AVCS, open deck block.

I will be working on the oiling system, valve springs, solid bucket conversion, cams, coil on plug conversion, contemplating a 2.1L stroker, either way will be using a newer crank whether it's 75mm or 79mm to fix the rod bearing starvation that this motor shares with the EJ205s, hopefully will be able to achieve a 9k redline.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Enough about the Version 6....

Plans have changed for the silver coupe, I purchased an EJ20X and will have to buy another Haltech Elite 2500 to run the DAVCS, but this car will become my daily driver once the swap is complete, and I still have to source an entire drivetrain as well, I may just take the 6spd swap out of my white coupe, as the H6 swap will take a very, very long time...

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
1,084 Posts
Maybe 75mm double crossdrilled, +2 rods, custom pistons all balanced and choice of turbo. Should push ya to the right on the plot, 9000+. Sounds like fun.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a V7 Sti Spec C RA oil cooler ready to go as well

(not my actual cooler pictured, grabbed off the internet)

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe 75mm double crossdrilled, +2 rods, custom pistons all balanced and choice of turbo. Should push ya to the right on the plot, 9000+. Sounds like fun.
Thanks Scruff,

Yeah I was thinking something along those lines, Manley seems to make some nice stroker pistons, but it's geared towards the folks going 79mm and needing to move the wrist pin location.

But I think that would be killer.

What would your opinion be on which turbo?

4,500 would be acceptable to me, not too many people have gone 35r on the 2.0L and shared much info. However, one person claimed 3900 rpm on the GTX3576r which seems a little optimistic to me.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
1999 RSTi, 1999 GC8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Scruff, just looked through your journal as well.

I need to get me a wagon, the more i see them the more it makes me want one.

I look forward to watching the progress on it.

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
1,084 Posts
Turbos tuff, what's hp/tq goals, and any planned sports with car?

Bearings std mains/extra clearance rods
JDM 12mm oil pump maybe, that an double cross drilled crank should take care of oiling. Man I'd love one of those spec c ra coolers.

Could go way cool and play with the 83mm crank or the 65.8 crank maybe, like +6 rods. ?

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
1,084 Posts
Need time to work on my wag. Tryn to build a house + normal life with 3 little kids makes it short end of stick.
I've been reading on strokers a lot. Someday my 22t block an d25 heads will be stroked. Someday, someday haha.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts