Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 439 Posts

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The car was back in

And having gotten the rear looking so fresh, I couldn't now do a half ass job in the front. So the teardown began in the front.

Look at those nasty stock headers. Also, damn! Those aluminum racing radiators hold a lot of coolant.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I knew I was running out of warm days soon, so I set the engine and tranny aside and started working on underside, wheel wells, and the engine bay.

The underside received the same wire wheel treatment

The engine bay got cleaned up as well. I broke couple bolts while taking off few brackets. So I took this opportunity to just cutting the welded nuts off with piece of the broken bolts and welding the new ones on in few spots.

Then paint

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The body was all done at this point. I was still using still stock RS front hub/knuckle assembly, which was limiting me in the choice of aftermarket rotors, because of the external ABS tone ring.

So I picked up a set of hubs/knuckles from 04 STI that used axle tone rings. Got a set on new bearing while I was at it. Stripped and painted them.

With all of the last pieces painted and November cold coming in, it was time to say thanks and good bye to my paint booth.

Quick photo of the paintbooth when it was first made.

Now before dismantlement

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Now it was time to look at the sorry looking engine.

I started taking things off. Here is the intake manifold.

Fuel rails, manifold risers.

This engine was from 2001 STI and it had the same fuel leak problem in extreme cold temperature that 02 and 03 WRXs had a recall for. Given that and the conditions of these fuel rails in general, I decided to see if I can replace them. I found these much nicer looking ones on eBay from 2007 STI

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Then the intake manifold itself. I was looking at different option, painting, powder coating. Decided on paying for powder coating. Took to couple local places for quotes, got some insane prices. These were not necessarily automotive specialty shops. Then after doing some research and decided to take it to a place a little further from me, Bonehead Performance in Warminster, PA, who actually know what intake manifold was. I was extremely please with the price, and also the result. I will definitely recommend them.

Here is what I gave them.

Here is what I got back

The intake manifold risers I decided to just clean up myself.

I don't know what actually worked, as I used couple of different things. I soaked them in Simple Green, CLR, and just regular dish washing soap. Then I went over with a dremet tool with a wire wheel which seemed to gave it a little bit of polishing up.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
While I was taking the intake manifold apart, I snapped off the clip off of one of the injector connector. So I was pleased to see how easy it was to find the replacement pig tails, and soldered a new one in.

Fresh set of injector o rings

Then It was time to assemble everything back.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Along with intake manifold, I also took my front calipers to Bonehead Performance to get powder coat. They even did the second color on the raised letters, which other shops just laughed at.

Here is what I gave them

And here is what I got back.

While at it, I also got a repair kit with new piston seals and what not.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
While I wait to upload format the next batch of photos, here is the picture of all of the rusted parts that will be going to scrap yard.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The engine coolant and vent lines looked like could use refinishing. Rubber connecting hoses and clamps looked like were ready to be replaced.

I soaked them in that Rust-Evap fluid then brushed and rinsed the crap away, then repainted it with engine enamel.

The oil cooler line was looked like it wasn't worth refinishing, and it was not expensive from the dealer, that was replaced. The hose elbows too.

Cleaned up the engine a little. Replaced all of the rusty timing cover bolts, and the center and right timing cover because they were cracked, all the way back from the engine delivery in 2005. While at it, got a Grimmspeed pulley. Then it was time to start putting the lines back on the engine.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
There are many different ways and combinations to put engine/transmission back. Whereas I took them out connected, I decided to put the engine in first by itself.

Double checking clutch bolt torque specs.

Next put the JDM coolant expansion tank, that I got from JDMGary probably like 3 years ago.

Then came repainted (in the inside) hood, with new fresh insulator, for extra freshness.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Then I cleaned up some of that oxidation and other crap as much as I could from the transmission, repainted couple of the brackets, and it was ready to go back in.

Before

Ready to be put in. New Grp N mount.

Refinished subframe.

Checking some torque specs

My plan was to put it in those two dollies, and then roll in under the car and jack it up in place.

However that plan did not exactly work as it ended up being way to high, even with raising the jack stands to the highest setting. So ultimately I just put it on a thick piece of cardboard and slid it in on that. Then I took the engine hoist and hooked the front of the transmission up to it, and the rear, I started raising with a floor jack. Fortunately I had a helper, my nephew, who is 17. Slowly with a lot of wiggling we got it in there.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I posted about this in another thread a while ago, but I'll cover here too. So I won't lie, during this whole process there was a fair share of impulse purchasing decisions. My stock headers was just one blob of rust. So I wanted to replace them. So I decided, what a great oppostunity to get some nice shiny aftermarket headers. So I got me some Tommei Unequal length headers. When I was trying to find out the fitment in GC8 cars, I saw some people say yes, some say no, then there was an issue of people running thicker aluminum radiator. I have a Gimmick Motorsports aluminum radiator. So I just decided to get the headers anyway and see for myself.

The result was not good.

First the usual, not radiator related. The wire harness that goes along the bottom of the radiator needs to be relocated off of the tab, like you can see on the right side, to somewhere under it, which I have seen people do before.

That is something that you can do and live with.

Then I dropped the radiator in there. Now the radiator, like I said, is a Gimmick Motorsports aluminum radiator with Mishimoto Aluminum fan shroud kit with slim fans. Which, by the way is basically a clone of Mishimoto radiator.

The fans are not the problem at all because they sit higher than headers. Here, however, is the real problem.

The last picture shows one of the tabs for the radiator shroud almost touching the header.

The drain plug actually touches the header piping. And even if I replace it with some hex bolt looking one, I still won't be able to ever drain it without removing headers. I think that even without this problem, I would have been hesitant to use these headers and radiator together, because the headers are just so close the radiator core. I am not sure if it would actually be affecting the water temperature. Maybe you could put some heat shield tape on the bottom of the radiator and ceramic coat the header, but its a moot point for me, because of the drain plug. Had the drain plug been on the left side of the radiator, that would not have been a problem, as there is tons of room there.

Here is where I am still trying to figure out the route for me. Looking at maybe just going back to stock headers (maybe PnPed), maybe getting WRX radiator, with drain plug in the side.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,258 Posts
Where are we in the space time continuum? Still catching up?

I only ask as the tense in your last post seemed current and I'm going to start jonesing if you tell me I'm going to have to wait for normal speed updates.

Bravo brother. Your thoroughness in this build is matched by the great story you're sharing.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Then I decided to test fit couple of skidplates. One was my old one from Primitive Racing for 98-01 NA RS. It does fit the turbo engine, but those wings on the sides designed to clear the NA headers were now unnecessary. I was thinking how it would be good if I'd found the skip plate that would be the same shape as my old one but flat for additional clearance. Then I heard that Primitive now offered ones for GC8 Turbo cars. So I ordered that one, with some extra spaces to clear Tommei headers should I decide to go with them. When I got it, I will be honest, I was a bit disappointed because it looked like was just their WRX skid plate with redrilled bolt holes for GC8. And because of that it was smaller in area, probably to clear the U shape subframe on WRX, I don't know.

Nonetheless, I went ahead with the test fit with both. First I put the WRX one with extra long spaces.

So these spaces are probably there with some spare length, because as it they are wey more than provide enough clearance. Even if I decide to stick with Tommei headers I will trim the spacers pretty significantly.

Next I put the old RS skid plate back to see how much lowering will be needed to fit the headers. You can also see how much further out the RS plate comes. It sits right under the bumper cover.

It turns out that there is not that much lowering that will need to be done of the skid plate. This first picture show it really good.

Like I said, I am very much on the fence about the headers still, so I will need to make some decisions first before cutting or welding.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
This is where I am at now. All caught up! Sorry jonny_o. But I am going to bed now, so that I can wake up tomorrow and get some more things done.

·
Registered
1995 WRX 2015 F150
1,873 Posts
I had the ebay knock off of tomei headers on mine when I first put the engine in. I never liked how close they were even to the stock radiator. I never had a problem, but it was really close. I took them off eventually and put the stock type RA header my engine came with back on with grimmspeed cross over and up pipes.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RSTI
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
So I am really beginning to curse the day I impulse purchased those sweet looking Tommei headers. I really started losing my mind trying to make it all work. I thought, hey, the main fitment problem with my GC8 radiator was the drain plug was blocked by the headers, even was touching. If I get the WRX radiator, the drain plug is all the way on the side, that would solve all of the problems. So I ended up ordering 02-07 WRX GMS radiator. I received the new radiator, but it turns out that even though it solved the drain plug problem, it introduced whole bunch more.

The tabs for the fans sit a little lower it looks like and are only couple millimeters from the headers.

This one had to be bent out of the way.

Another issue, is that because WRX radiator has the center bottom part hand even lower, the harness has to be pushed a little further away. So I would have had to modify the fan wire routing. Not to mention the wire going to the fans would be so close to the pipes.

Another one is that the tabs on my radiator shroud don't line up with a single mounting point on the radiator. So I would have to fabricate some new brackets.

I had more issues yet. This is nothing to do with headers. I don't know if it's the radiator issues, of a hose issues, but this is how my upper hose sat. The hose came in the radiator package, also from GMS.

Not being the fan of the WRX style upper hose going right in from if the PS pump in the first place, and with all of these issue. I made a decision to just be done with Tommei headers and with WRX radiator. It's just really was getting out of hand with solving one problem, and creating many others. As you can also see from those pictures, the radiator stays don't line up at all either.

Thankfully, earlier, I bought stock headers off of 2013 STI, so they were is a really good shape. So this is what I am going to go with. Going to follow 69subaru360's advise and just do that. I already have Griimspeed Uppipe.

41 - 60 of 439 Posts