Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i recently I asked a similar question, but it was a really vague question. So i rethought my question and here it is:

I was wondering if anyone has had any airflow problems using an rs scoop, from the gc chassis, with a USDM sti tmic? Would a s201 hood scoop alleviate any of the airflow problems? OR is it just merely aesthetic over the rs scoop?

More like 3 questions, but ya. Stuff I need to figure out before cutting up my L hood.

Thanks

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
It's more dependent on the engine under the hood. The 222's and 251's manifolds put the TMIC farther back than any of the OE turbo engines (20g, 20k, 205, 255, etc) so the airflow problem is mostly due to the lack of overlap. My car has a FXT TMIC under the stock RS scoop, and the worst problem is that there's a good 3-ish inches from the front of the scoop that doesn't touch the TMIC, and the TMIC extends past the back of the scoop, despite the FXT TMIC being longer and narrower than an STi TMIC.

I keep meaning to fold up a sheetmetal piece like an OEM car would have, just with a much more extreme angle to account for the rearward placement, but in the winter it's really not necessary...

Oh, and an STi/WRX TMIC in a GC-chassis will require... "clearancing" at the firewall, if it's on an NA intake manifold.

·
Registered
95 Impreza L
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn it i thought i got everything lemme confirm this is for an sti ej257 swap on an impreza l, not a turbo kit. So as long a make get it so the scoop puts air directly on the TMIC i should be fine even with RS scoop right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts