Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Impreza 2.5rs
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so heres my situation I've been driving my car like this no problem at all but I want my wrx hoods hoodscoop to really hit the airfilter which it already does but not that well but I had to keep the airbox because of the 3 breather hoses which I think is for pcv correct me if im wrong and I didn't want to take the chance of hurting the engine if I just left them hanging anyone know what I should do and don't recommend buying a whole cold air intake thats not what I want to do

Also this is the pic from the day I put it on and I now have a injen water repellent sock on it to help with water
ew0330pqcx451.jpg

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
635 Posts
Why do you want to make less power?

Ok sorry, I'm a smartass. But if you researched at all you'd have found an abundance of info on the intake system. The FACTORY setup is a cold air intake, and it's actually designed for the engine and how it's TUNED. Even if you get more cold air on that filter, it's gonna decimate most of your torque curve for a small benefit at redline IF you can tune for it.
You don't have to buy a premade cold air intake, but I'd recommend it since you asked what you 'should' do. Look up the hybrid intake. Or leave it alone, everything I've mentioned is so negligible on an N/A Subaru you won't feel the difference anyway.

·
Registered
2002 Impreza 2.5rs
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you want to make less power?

Ok sorry, I'm a smartass. But if you researched at all you'd have found an abundance of info on the intake system. The FACTORY setup is a cold air intake, and it's actually designed for the engine and how it's TUNED. Even if you get more cold air on that filter, it's gonna decimate most of your torque curve for a small benefit at redline IF you can tune for it.
You don't have to buy a premade cold air intake, but I'd recommend it since you asked what you 'should' do. Look up the hybrid intake. Or leave it alone, everything I've mentioned is so negligible on an N/A Subaru you won't feel the difference anyway.
Honestly you being a smart ass is exactly what I needed I'm just gonna buy a actual cold air intake instead I don't wanna lose any power so thanks man

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you want an option that doesn't put the filter in a ridiculous location (like Injen), you could do what I did, though I would confirm 100 percent it works on an 02 (I didn't look it up). Back in the day, it appeared that Ganzflow made an CAI that was fairly popular. To avoid paying the Ganzflow premium, people bought a short-ram intake for an Accord, which fit directly onto the original equipment of the car. I did it recently just to fiddle around, and it works, as advertised.

Link to thread: $30 Dollar Ganzflow style eBay intake
Link to one I bought: Performance Short Ram Air Intake CAI Assembly Red Filter for Accord Prelude | eBay

·
Registered
2000, Impreza RS 2.5
75 Posts
First of all take care of your RUST issue. That stuff spreads like herpies. Get a wire brush and some WD-40 or Calcium Lime Rust (CLR) and get to work. When you get most he rust off break out some steel wool and finish her off, then clean the raw metal with rubbing alcohol and spray it down with high temp primer and paint.

In regards to the intake either do what was mentioned above or get this Injen RD Series Cold Air Intake System make sure you get the one that fits your year not sure if yours is MAP or MAF. Injen makes the only tuned intake to my knowledge.

Finally put the hood scoop cover insert back in ... your are inviting rust, h20 damage to your expensive sensors like TPS, increasing pressure inside the engine bay which restricts the air flow through the radiator as it has to fight the pressure behind it now which would other wise be much lower and finally if you look at the hood scoop cover insert you should see that it has a small opening cut into it about 1 inch tall and 3-4 inches wide in the right side; this is present to allow the air that pressurizes against it to blow into the engine bay and straight down past the right side of the throttle body and onto / around the transmission and starter motor. You wil also reduce your drag slightly by putting the insert back in. Honestly the only possible ADVANTAGE to not having the insert installed is traffic .. it would help vent heat in heavy stand still traffic but at the cost of ruining the paint on your scoop over time.

Just giving you my two cents.. do with them as you may... but your current setup is horrible as it has your intake sucking in the heat from your engine as the air coming into the scoop is going to be going over the top of the air box and then back against the firewall not within reach of your conical filter. Yes your 3 tubes are very important and need to remain connected AFTER a filter in the intake system.

·
Registered
2002 Impreza 2.5rs
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all take care of your RUST issue. That stuff spreads like herpies. Get a wire brush and some WD-40 or Calcium Lime Rust (CLR) and get to work. When you get most he rust off break out some steel wool and finish her off, then clean the raw metal with rubbing alcohol and spray it down with high temp primer and paint.

In regards to the intake either do what was mentioned above or get this Injen RD Series Cold Air Intake System make sure you get the one that fits your year not sure if yours is MAP or MAF. Injen makes the only tuned intake to my knowledge.

Finally put the hood scoop cover insert back in ... your are inviting rust, h20 damage to your expensive sensors like TPS, increasing pressure inside the engine bay which restricts the air flow through the radiator as it has to fight the pressure behind it now which would other wise be much lower and finally if you look at the hood scoop cover insert you should see that it has a small opening cut into it about 1 inch tall and 3-4 inches wide in the right side; this is present to allow the air that pressurizes against it to blow into the engine bay and straight down past the right side of the throttle body and onto / around the transmission and starter motor. You wil also reduce your drag slightly by putting the insert back in. Honestly the only possible ADVANTAGE to not having the insert installed is traffic .. it would help vent heat in heavy stand still traffic but at the cost of ruining the paint on your scoop over time.

Just giving you my two cents.. do with them as you may... but your current setup is horrible as it has your intake sucking in the heat from your engine as the air coming into the scoop is going to be going over the top of the air box and then back against the firewall not within reach of your conical filter. Yes your 3 tubes are very important and need to remain connected AFTER a filter in the intake system.
What hood scoop cover are you talking about the piece of plastic that directs the wind to the intercooler cause that’s still on there and how would my would scoops paint be damaged and I just bought a actual cold air intake cause I knew my setup was dog shit

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
635 Posts
ScryLite is referring to a block off plate that is attached to non turbo Subaru hood scoops. As you'd imagine it basically closes off the scoop, except for a small hole to alleviate drag/drain water. I've only had one Subaru that still had this installed. I removed it for a TMIC but now I'm front mount so it'll go back in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts