Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS BRP
33 Posts
dude..

please don't service your own airbag system...

it's a really easy way to kill yourself..

an airbag is like a shotgun, if you build up a static charge while servicing it... it will blow your fucking head off...

--
It's really not that big of deal, I tried (in vain) to make the one I was removing from a Miata go off. Just being cautious is fine, it's not like you've lost thousands of people to airbag removals, or even one in history.

Airbags are also great to have in accidents, but removing one from a 10 year old car dosen't instantly kill you in an collision. I'm looking through this thread trying to find some easy way to deactivate the airbag light i'll get replacing the stock wheel and you're on every page yelling to not even touch it.

·
Registered
Silver 2000 2.5rs
4 Posts
Yeah, i ordered all my replacements/ sent stuff away and installed everything myself and it works perfectly fine now. I saved SO much money doing it this way rather than paying someone to do it all for me. A bit of time spent reading on the internet and common sense goes a long way. Unplugging the battery, making sure you have no static charge build up and not sticking power to anything while servicing did the trick for me... just my opinion though. bigshizzle just looking out for everyone i guess.

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Arcadian Green
108 Posts
Do any of you guy's know if the air bags from an rs dash will plug up to a 1997 gc airbag harness? i want to do a dash swap in my 1997 coupe to an rs dash.

·
Registered
1997 OBS
41 Posts
I've got some airbag issues. Both my airbags deployed ('97 OBS). I now have a '02 MOMO steering wheel, but the airbag plug was torn out. My buddy has one that i can take from him, same MOMO steering wheel with airbag.

Now, will it the MOMO steering wheel function along with '97 passenger airbag that i might purchase soon? And do I need a new dash in order to install the airbag or does it only have to be removed and plugged in?

·
Registered
22B TYPE RA CLONE GM6
52 Posts
bought front clip from japan, plan on using passenger delete pocket / secondary glovebox, what is stock pass. side airbag resistance>? i've heard 2ohms, and less... also, my car is a 2000rs, and the momo wheel from japan is a 2000sti type -ra, interchangeable, i would think?

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
01 RSTI w/07 EJ257, Brembos
1,813 Posts
^ So this thread is dedicated to airbag safety, and you're asking a question about deleting it?

·
Air tool surgeon
'98 Impreza OL Rally Car
406 Posts
I feel I should add to this thread to hopefully clear up some inaccuracies that I learned about, I crashed my RS on a rallycross track into a concrete barrier at 30 MPH. Here's some interesting notes:

-The driver airbag was completely removed
-The Airbag light in the cluster was removed
-And most importantly, the passenger airbag deployed upon impact. Supposedly impossible given the first 2 circumstances. It makes sense, I mean why would an airbag system completely disable because 1 or 2 components were malfunctioning?

I am simply sharing my experience, in no way this should be taken as fact, every car/crash is different!

·
Registered
179 Posts
possible airbag system idiot light reasons

==

the components that could possibly throw a airbag code are as follows:
-----
front sensors

side sensors

srs module (brain)

deployed or faulty driver's, passenger's or curtain airbags

deployed or faulty driver's or passenger's seatbelt pretensioners

faulty or damaged wiring harness for srs system

collapsed steering column

toasted clockspring in column from deployement

faulty connection in any of above

---

only have a professional shop service your SRS system
Very nice list of possible faults, looks helpful. However, IMHO, professional shops are a rip off and technicians are usually people trained in one very specific area who don't know much about anything else. They tend to defend that one and only expertise that they have to the death, claiming only highly trained individuals can service things such as.... say an SRS system.

I've serviced a number of airbags and airbag systems. They will go off if you're a moron and apply +12V to the connector, but otherwise, not that difficult to work on. Unplug the battery and go at it. No big deal. Yes, the newer systems with the specific procedure to reset the light can be a bit tricky, but it's really not rocket science Mr. Technician.

if an airbag is deployed, usually the clockspring, module, airbag, pretensioner, and sensors are replaced

---
Get real, if any of us on here had money to blow we wouldn't be here. You would need to diagnose each of these individual components to determine if they're faulty, it's not that hard. This is the kind of response you get from stealerships running scams on people who don't know better. I would suggest you take this attitude back to your mechanic shop where you try to scam all the old ladies.

Clockspring: in addition to your airbag light coming on, a faulty clockspring will also shut down your horn and cruise control. Thus, if all three are out, then you need a new clockspring.

·
Registered
99 RS 2.5 Blue, 95 L
446 Posts
Sigh.

I've got my swapped (04 wrx) RS with a full dash swap missing the matching WRX sensors (in the front).

I'm debating to just remove the system. Remove it or get the WRX sensors and get the system back to what it thinks would be correct.

What if that dude is right about crumple zones and speed of impact?

Maybe I should get the rs airbag system back up and running on it?

·
Registered
White 94 Base Model
203 Posts
Interesting thread and made me wonder about my upcoming swap, which will be an 02-04 WRX into a 94 impreza. The 94 only has one airbag, in the steering wheel, but I will be adding some GD STi seats that have side airbags. I didn't plan to swap the dash but I did want to swap the wheel or at least have the airbags in the seats functional. I'm not platinum certified but I would think it would be better to have the seat airbags functional rather than not. If this is all accurate then I shouldn't even be swapping seats because their angles and the difference in weight will have a bad effect on even the 94 airbag.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza (Awaiting Swap)
762 Posts
I dont think a clear answer was ever given, so here is my question. Again...

2006-2007 STI swap into a GC8 chassis. Will the airbags work.. if you use all the wiring/ airbag system from the STi?
I understand the dash is much diffrent from the GC8 given the drivers high, seat, ect. Would it be safer to keep the GC8 dash or not?

·
Registered
99 RS 2.5 Blue, 95 L
446 Posts
I dont think a clear answer was ever given, so here is my question. Again...

2006-2007 STI swap into a GC8 chassis. Will the airbags work.. if you use all the wiring/ airbag system from the STi?
I understand the dash is much diffrent from the GC8 given the drivers high, seat, ect. Would it be safer to keep the GC8 dash or not?

I've been pondering this also.

I swapped a 04 WRX into my rs. I don't think the side airbag is feasible. What it comes down to is the drivers side and the pass side front bags.

I've disabled all of them on my car and have kept it that way for a while now but I'm tempted to get it up and going again. I plan to use the WRX system - the whole thing - sensors, computer, etc. I want to get the drivers and pass side air bags going with just the front sensors.

I realized after I swapped I forgot about the airbag sensors. I bought one off of ebay...see if I can at least turn off the fucking dash light :)

·
Registered
1999, 2.5rs
40 Posts
So I read thru most of this forum and still have questions, My airbag light is usually on but sometimes it goes off... It sounded like it is supposed to stay on until cleared by a dealership but mines going on and off by its self. The car is a 1999 2.5rs with a 2004 wrx swap. I would like to get the airbags working and get the light to stay out... Would a dealership even want to attempt to work on this and if so is it gonna cost a fortune to diagnose? Its been this way as long as I have owned the car... I didnt do the swap. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS SRP
162 Posts
So I'm still not sure... swapping in a GD steering wheel into a GC is still safe? Or completely unsafe? I dislike the GC wheel, but not enough to sacrifice my safety for aesthetics on a DD.

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,931 Posts
ok, well a kid died a few years back because insted of splitting the cover shattered a cut his neck open. Emblem, too. Although, id like having URABUS imprinted in my skull.
I did that with my trunk badging when I 1st bought the car (in 2000) hahaha! Major flaming ensued on NASIOC shortly after posting my "DIY mod" :p

·
Registered
2002 Impreza sedan RS Silver
39 Posts
There is so much info in this thread it's crazy! with your knowledge being as it is would you know where a thread might be about putting side airbags into a 02 rs and how to set up wrx seats so the side airbags work? I just bought my son a 02 rs2.5 and would like him wrapped in bags so mom can get off my a** about being safe. Thanks!

61 - 76 of 76 Posts