Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS
1,744 Posts
Word. It seems they usually end up hurting more people than saving them.
:confused:

Maybe they end up getting hurt by the airbag, but what would happen if they didn't have it?

That being said, I don't have one, but I have a rollcage and 5 pt harnesses. :) Not that that's an excuse.

I do still have the passenger side airbag (autocross rules). Does anyone (maybe biGshizzle79, as he seems to be knowledgeable on the subject) know if it will cause problems to have the passenger bag plugged in and not the drivers. Because I don't know this I dont' have it plugged in (and I have no light).

·
Registered
'99 gc8 project & '16 wrx
776 Posts
I do still have the passenger side airbag (autocross rules). Does anyone (maybe biGshizzle79, as he seems to be knowledgeable on the subject) know if it will cause problems to have the passenger bag plugged in and not the drivers. Because I don't know this I dont' have it plugged in (and I have no light).
Like I said above they work as a system, all bags have to be plugged in for any individual bag to work.

·
Registered
'99 gc8 project & '16 wrx
776 Posts
I am not sure where I read it but I recall seeing that GC airbags work independently. I could be wrong though.
I am pretty sure this is not true, like I said right now I am using GC SRS module and my passenger bag is plugged in, but not functional. It is a saftey percaution on the Module, if something is not working properly the module completely shuts off the system for saftey purposes. So a sensor goes out, or a bag gets unplugged system shuts down.

I could be wrong but like I said I ahve spent hours researching these puppies trying to get my setup to work.

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,195 Posts
That being said, I don't have one, but I have a rollcage and 5 pt harnesses. :) Not that that's an excuse.
How about a Hans device? ;) While your body is restrained, nothing is holding your head back. Despite what you may think, your neck muscles aren't strong enough to keep your head from snapping forward... and killing you.

Just something to think about. I have a Nardi steering wheel in my car, but I thought long and hard about it before I installed it. I have the three 10ohm resistors to keep the passenger side active, but I haven't found any reliable information on where to put them.

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS
1,744 Posts
No Hans device. I know it is still dangerous, but I'm living with what I have. Besides the airbags have been shown to cause a lot of injuuries if they go off when wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
01 Forester
5,169 Posts
Also if you have a full cage you risk hitting your head on the bar above the windshield.

In the open plug underneath the steering column. That is where I put mine and it works great. The pic below is how I did it to begin with. Later I cut the other half of the plug from the clock spring leaving some wire and soldered the resistor to the wire. I used a 3.3 ohm resistior.

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS
1,744 Posts
Also if you have a full cage you risk hitting your head on the bar above the windshield.
That's always a risk, but you make compromises. I also have sfi roll bar padding on all areas that could be contacted by the head/helmet.

And adding these resistors makes the passenger side airbag functional?

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,195 Posts

In the open plug underneath the steering column. That is where I put mine and it works great. The pic below is how I did it to begin with. Later I cut the other half of the plug from the clock spring leaving some wire and soldered the resistor to the wire. I used a 3.3 ohm resistior.

The drivers side airbag uses three wires on my car. I have the older airbag system with the two separate horn buttons.

·
I <3 JDM
GC8 + GF + GG
5,166 Posts
damn!!! i just swapped MOMO WRX wheel on my 97L...i notice that the connector is different on the airbag so i left it unplug...so now i have my airbag light on...my question is
- does my passenger airbag not working too now?
- and since i didn't plug the connector, i won't be having airbag explode in my head because i didnt connect them right???
i never thought about all this before...damn got me thinking now

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
just make sure that the battery is disconnected at all times while servicing any airbag system.

also, touch bare metal in your car before handling any airbag in your vehicle.

getting in and out of your car can generate a static charge.

the passenger airbag should be accessable once the glovebox is removed

21 - 40 of 76 Posts