Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
I get questions often, here is is:

---

:blowingup:blowingup:blowingup:blowingup:blowingup:blowingup:blowingup:blowingup:blowingup:blowingup:blowingup:blowingup:blowingup

I'm Certified in I-CAR Advanced Restraints, so listen up.

an airbag can kill you.

ANY YELLOW WRAPPED WIRE OR YELLOW CLIPPED HARNESS OR YELLOW STICKERED SENSOR IS USUALLY AN AIRBAG SYSTEM

do not attempt to modify any airbag, or airbag stystem

always disconnect the battery while servicing an airbag.

try to stay grounded to the car, and avoid any static charge buildup while servicing an aibag

do not swap, or install an airbag that is not specifically made for the exact car you're dealing with..

do not tolerate an airbag light in your car, you may not care about your own life, but your passengers children may when she's dead - get it checked out.

unless your car is set up for full race and helmet... you want your airbag system in full working order.

other than the obvious death by, or death from non-function, there is also a huge liability of being sued by someone who drives, is a passenger, or even steals your car, i'd imagine.

some shops even have an outsourced airbag dude who comes in for the actual install to skirt the liability of this practice

---

airbags are specifiacally tuned for each vehicle taking into account the seat position, and geometry of that specific car...

most modern cars also have seatbelt pre-tensioners linked to the airbag system, these are like a shotgun charge in your seatbelt that grab you back in your seat upon impact..

airbag systems deploy in various degrees depending on how hard the impact is, so keeping all the systems functioning is pretty vital

some luxury cars actually use sensors to see your weight and head position using a small radar sensor in the A-pillar

all airbags are timed so that a perfect deployment does it's job.

any imperfect deployment could be fatal

:blowingup
---
I'd write a DIY, but I don't want to get sued..
:uKk:

·
Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,492 Posts
Also, NEVER paint over an airbag cover (IE steering wheel or dash cover). Many of those covers are meant to split open when the airbag deploys and painting it can cause failures with that.

·
Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,492 Posts
ok, well a kid died a few years back because insted of splitting the cover shattered a cut his neck open. Emblem, too. Although, id like having URABUS imprinted in my skull.

·
College eats money
MY02 WRX Wagon
342 Posts
Although, id like having URABUS imprinted in my skull.
Literally fell out of my chair...that never gets old

Personally I like the big o-mom on my forehead....makes a fashion statement...I just tell them it's Italian for "I got hit by a steering wheel"

Seriously though. Shizzle, great heads up on airbag safety. I never could quite understand the idea of exploding something o help stop you from coming towards it....hopefully I won't have to learn the hard way. :eek:

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also refinsihing an airbag cover is NOT allowed because upon deployment, the paint or whatever will shatter, then fly at your face at 100+ mph...

basically blinding you.

(imagine dramatic CSI slo-mo re-enactment here)

·
Registered
2000 RS ej20g swap
505 Posts
well i finished putting my ej20 swap into my rs not too long ago and airbag light came on. I didn't think anything of it, heh maybe I should tear the interior down again and figure out whats wrong with it. Although now that I think about it, when I was trimming part of my core support by the headlights for my fmic, I think i may have skimmed an airbag cord near the sensor with the reciprocating saw...

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that would do it...

ask a subaru tech about the repair...

repairing wires that are connected to sensitive systems like that, sometimes can't be conventionally repaired..

the repaired area, soldered or not, creates a resistance in that wire, corrupting the information carried thru it...

just make sure to touch base with a cetified subaru tech before assuming it's an ok repair

·
Registered
2000 RS ej20g swap
505 Posts
Ok I'll call my local dealer first thing this week, would you suggest disengaging my airbag till I talk to the tech? ya know just incase, I dont want it poppin in my face over a small tap or something

·
500whp club
00RSti
3,726 Posts
what about the swap guys that put in the GD version steering wheel into the GC chassis. i understand that the bag is different but they are using the GC control module.

i personally try not to mess with the air bag systems but i plan on doing a swap and using the complege GC steering colum with steering wheel.

·
06 Wrangler Unlimited
4,613 Posts
Noob...
GD = 02+
GC = 93-01

I think what he means is does a GC module in a GD steering wheel still function properly, since it's in a steering wheel that the module wasn't originally designed for...

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,195 Posts
I don't know if it's a federal law, or if it's a Pennsylvania law but... it's illegal to dispose an undeployed airbag.

They also blow up good, and get a considerable amount of air time if positioned on their face and promptly connected to a car battery. Oh yeah, and the deployment is as loud as a gunshot and can prompt someone to call 911 thinking that someone got shot. Ask me how I know. :)

·
Registered
'99 gc8 project & '16 wrx
776 Posts
what about the swap guys that put in the GD version steering wheel into the GC chassis. i understand that the bag is different but they are using the GC control module.

i personally try not to mess with the air bag systems but i plan on doing a swap and using the complege GC steering colum with steering wheel.
I have a GD dash in my coupe. I have yet to get the airbags to work properly. I am using my original GC module, adn everythign plugged into it correct with my 06 harness. But I still have lights, plus my plugs that go into the steering wheel are different right now. To tell the truth I have not taken the time to figure it out, right now the lights are just covered up with electrical tape. I know it is possible though, I have talked to people who have done it!

·
Registered
'99 gc8 project & '16 wrx
776 Posts
Word. It seems they usually end up hurting more people than saving them. I'm getting rid of mine soon when I get a new steering wheel. I'm keeping the passenger one for now though.
Just an FYI airbags work as a system. you unplug one, then all the others no longer work. This is why you can't use a GD SRS module in a GC car, no side airbags to hook up.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts