Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my steering wheel recently and followed the instructions for disarming the bag and all that stuff. When I put the new wheel on, I re-used my bag and all hardware. Now I have the airbag light on the dash. I don't understand why though. I was extremely careful about plugging it back in so as not to have any static discharge setting off the bag. I let the ECU reset as I usually do and yet I still have the light.

Is there another step to this? Do I have to manually reset a breaker since I unplugged the bag? Is there any code I can look for with a scan tool?

Any clues would be most appreciated. I wouldn't care about the light if it were disconnected, but it IS connected and It's bothering me. Pulling the bulb is not an option, nor is tape. My tach already covers 99% of the light, I just want to make sure I'm protected in the event of a crash.

Thanks in advance!

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Did you replace the wheel with the same thing? I'm not sure what it could be but I was wondering if it could be the contacts between the wheel and column not matching up or being dirty. I changed my RS one for a WRX and didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Is your horn and cruise working? If not, you may have a bad multiswitch (when mine went out the horn and cruise didn't work and the airbag light stayed on).

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Asp
152 Posts
storm has a L, he replaced the plastic one with a RS steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have an L and changed to a leather RS wheel.

It shouldn't be contacts because the bag plugs into it's own harness, which I reused. The horn still works and my cruise is....a steady foot.

I just wanted to know if there was something I was missing, like a relay or something.

I'll pull it back off and check the harness on the bag module.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
What year are you installing to? I wonder when they switched from single to duel stage airbags and it dosen't recognise the airbag?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the same bag

I'm using the same bag as I had in the first place, just attatched to a different wheel. The only plug on the wheel is for the horn. The airbag plug comes from the clockspring assembly, which I didn't remove. Unless somehow the plug for the airbag can be plugged in a wrong way and not make the connection, I'm stumped till I take it back off and look again.

Thanks for the ideas though. Keep 'em coming!

Peaty said:
What year are you installing to? I wonder when they switched from single to duel stage airbags and it dosen't recognise the airbag?

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
I had my airbag light on after I was looking at my wiring to do the foglight mod. Turns out the reason why the airbag light stayed on was the wiring plug connector wasn't in all the way, so I undid it and put it back correctly this time. Might wanna check to see if anything is loose, could easily cause that problem.

Nick C.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts