Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I was browsing the web for any info on the Automatic Height Adjust, or air suspension on a 93 Impreza and fumbled onto your site. I'm hoping someone could help me with info, or maybe lead me into the right direction.
I recently purchased a1993 Impreza wagonn from Japan, so RHD. It's just a regular Impreza but with air suspension.
The suspension was fine in japan when I first purchased it. I had the vehicle transported to Banff where I live. When it first arrived, the car was chained down tight onto the truck, with the suspension fully compressed.
But when the car got off the truck and I started to drive, I noticed it was really bumpy. It ended up with the rear air suspension fully inflated, no damper at all and is still in this state.
When I push the height adjust button, it seems like the solenoid on the rear strut is activating as I hear a sound.
Is there a way to at least lower the rear to a drivable state so that I can take it to a repair shop? A release valve or something?
I thought of pulling the hose at the struts, but it's very tight and I don't think I can do it without a special tool.
any advice, info would be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance!!

Ken (inokiyo)

· Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
5,237 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I was browsing the web for any info on the Automatic Height Adjust, or air suspension on a 93 Impreza and fumbled onto your site. I'm hoping someone could help me with info, or maybe lead me into the right direction.
I recently purchased a1993 Impreza wagonn from Japan, so RHD. It's just a regular Impreza but with air suspension.
The suspension was fine in japan when I first purchased it. I had the vehicle transported to Banff where I live. When it first arrived, the car was chained down tight onto the truck, with the suspension fully compressed.
But when the car got off the truck and I started to drive, I noticed it was really bumpy. It ended up with the rear air suspension fully inflated, no damper at all and is still in this state.
When I push the height adjust button, it seems like the solenoid on the rear strut is activating as I hear a sound.
Is there a way to at least lower the rear to a drivable state so that I can take it to a repair shop? A release valve or something?
I thought of pulling the hose at the struts, but it's very tight and I don't think I can do it without a special tool.
any advice, info would be very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance!!

Ken (inokiyo)

well i dont have any proof on what to do. but this is what i would do. look under the car at the suspension. look for a valve around the air bags. or maybe something in the trunk, like so it does it automatically.

i would honestly just play around with it, look around the suspenion/inside the car for any hints or something like that

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i dont have any proof on what to do. but this is what i would do. look under the car at the suspension. look for a valve around the air bags. or maybe something in the trunk, like so it does it automatically.

i would honestly just play around with it, look around the suspenion/inside the car for any hints or something like that
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I thought their would be a release valve or something, but does'nt sound like there is. It seems everything is solenoid activated and each strut has one.
I will have to dosome further searching.
BTW, did the Impreza's in North America come with the air suspension too?
Ken

· project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
4,042 Posts
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I thought their would be a release valve or something, but does'nt sound like there is. It seems everything is solenoid activated and each strut has one.
I will have to dosome further searching.
BTW, did the Impreza's in North America come with the air suspension too?
Ken
No, there has never been an Impreza in the U.S. with air suspension.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The air suspension on the legacey, XT and SVX always were a problem and converting it over is the best way and wieght saving approach
Thanks for that!
I forgot about the SVX having air suspension. I'll do a web search on that and see what I can come up with.
Thanks for all the info gentleman. You guys are a great help and this is an awesome community!!

Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.